Airfix-More modern model kits?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
BlohmWolf
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix-More modern model kits?

Post by BlohmWolf »

While looking for cheap prices on some kits on Ebay, I came across this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Airfix-05 ... 27e043f684;

It looks to be of their own moulding, before the hornby takeover that is.

But it got me thinking: Airfix concentrates on older subjects, like Spitfires, Lancasters, 1914-1970 is their general range, with items like the later harriers and Mig-29 are being put out. Now yes, I know that companies like revell, tamiya, italeri, hasegawa and misc. all make their own modern model kits. Does anyone here think it would be good for airfix to try making some new modern aircraft kits?

Theres a huge list already I could think of: A new F-4 phantom, F-5, F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35.

Anyone else have similar thoughts or other things to add?
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
Zee28

Re: Airfix-More modern model kits?

Post by Zee28 »

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you're driving at here (am I being dim?). The F4 could certainly do with re-tooling, as has often been discussed here. The F5A is a tragic old kit, but the F5E on the other hand is a completely different tool and is actually quite nice (fit for re-release really), and when Migrant got hold of it, well you can imagine! I've got the Airfix F-16 and also looks quite nice to me, despite it's age, but I haven't built it yet, there may be horrors waiting to catch me out.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I think that partly it's a size thing. Modern aircraft are much bigger beasts than WW2 fighters, so the kits are bigger and more expensive. Airfix needs to keep a range of kits at all prices and levels of complexity. Their base market is the pocket money one, so they probably think that two smaller kits has a wider impact than one larger kit in a more expensive price range.

Then there's the Britishness theme plus opponents for dogfight doubles...

And there is the "we need to replace the sad old toolings" requirement as well. They are doing that steadily.

Of the kits on your list, I'd say the F4 is the most likely to get done. An affordable Spey-engined F4 would be nice.

Personally I'd say in 1/72, a Spitfire Vb or Vc, a Mosquito or a Beaufighter are more likely. A Wildcat (aircraft or new helo) would be another. An affordable F4F-3 would be something that's not really available (discount the Hobbyboss one because it still has the folding wings!)

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

They'll probably get around to them at some point. Note the Vampire, Gnat, Nimrod, Valiant etc. which are all new. New tools have to be largely market driven and apparently, WWII is still the biggest seller.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I think that Airfix is mainly aiming it's market efforts towards those of us who bought the old kits as youngsters and are now driven to buy improved versions.

I'm sure they'll get round to something more modern in the future.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Chris

Post by Chris »

I'd prefer to see the WWII and Korean war era kits get new tooling before anything else.

A Defiant to me is far more welcome then another F 16.
Honcho of ASMMF
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Chris makes a valid point. I suspect Airfix also look to what other manufacturers are offering and if there is already a very good 'F-Whatever' variant from a competitor that seems to be the 'kit to buy' for those modellers wanting that subject, then Airfix may think there is little point in them tooling up to do one as well. Some of their thoughts may be swaying towards subjects that others don't offer, or that others don't offer a particularly good version of.

This is how their re-releases survive so well, simply because a lot of them are 'The only show in town' for that particular subject (that's what kept things like the Stirling in the catalogue year after year, there's no alternative from anybody else so, if you want a Stirling it has to be Airfix), so although the sales may be lower for these less well known subjects (say compared to Spitfires and things) it will always be a steady seller.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

And you only have to look on the various forums to see what kind of kits get built the most - WWII single engine fighters and classic jets. That's were the money is.

Not that I'm saying it wouldn't be nice to see some more modern stuff from them, made to the same standard as the recent Harrier and Skyhawk kits.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I have to agree with Stuart on this and my prayers are always for re-tooled- Battle, Defiant, Beaufort, Beaufighter, Sea Vixen, Sea Venom, Hurricane 1a/2b/c, Ju88A-1, Ju87b Stuka, Spey Phantom, Hunter F & T, Wellington, Whitley in 1/72 aircraft and M4 Sherman, T-34/76, Centurion, Churchill, Tiger, Panther, Elefant in 1/76 armour.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I'd like them to do the A10 Warthog. A much under represented aircraft in 1/72 at a sensible price.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

Like many people, I find modern F-whatevers in BOG uninspiring as subjects- I am sure market research will back this up ;-)
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Another thing to consider is that Airfix generally (but not always granted) produce British subjects, and there aren’t that many British aircraft post 1990 (if you think single seat fighters) - though I would love to see them do a decent Typhoon – but mind you Revell has already done that (and the Tornado). They did do a really nice later mark Harrier kit.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

And....Can I just put in a defence for Airfix though...

although they may not be doing a lot of modern aircraft kits, to say they are not covering modern subjects slightly inaccurate...

...they ARE producing a lot of new tool kits of MODERN subjects; they’ve got a really big Afghanistan thing going on at present, albeit in 1/48. They’ve produced some Stunning Lynx and Merlin Kits, not to mention up to date equipment used by the British Army, Warrior, Jackal, Coyote, Quads and Snatch Land Rover – I’d love to see them do a 1/48 Longbow Apache to go with them.

Regards

Stuart

Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

I agree Stuart, and I am waiting and hoping for the Merlin to come out in 1/72nd. I'd grab that with both hands!

Zee28
Chris

Post by Chris »

What would you give for an accurate new tool Fairey Battle?

A boulton Paul Defiant?

An Avro Anson?

Only Airfix bothered to kit these types in the past, wouldn't it be wonderful to have new tool versions.
Honcho of ASMMF

Return to “Small Talk”