Dilemma

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Dilemma

Post by Springy67 »

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I recently acquired an Airfix Fieseler Storch off eBay. It is the original issue with the card header and the kit in a plastic bag. I already have this kit (again from eBay) but it's a later issue in the blister pack. The packaging for both is in very good condition and, from my research, the kit builds up quite nicely. I want to build one of the two kts and keep the other one as, for some reason, Airfix have some issue with releasing this kit (it hasn't been in their catalogue for years). The problem is I am not sure which one I should sacrifice to the modelling gods.

Obviously the card header version is older but I have a soft spot for the blister packaging as it represents the time at which I first started buying Airfix kits. I have fond memories of our local newsagent having a rotating stand loaded with Airfix blister packs.

So, which one should I build? Card header or blister pack? Or should I just buy the Academy Storch and build that instead?

Cheers
Springy
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dilemma

Post by MarkyM607 »

Springy67 wrote:Obviously the card header version is older but I have a soft spot for the blister packaging as it represents the time at which I first started buying Airfix kits. I have fond memories of our local newsagent having a rotating stand loaded with Airfix blister packs.
Do this one I think, more personally relevant etc. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

As Mark says, do the blister pack one as an homage to your first model builds
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Personally I'd build them both, that's what they were made for after all. I've recently started an Airfix Jet Provost that was still in it's polly bag with paper header. Also I've built a blisterpack Bird dog. Or you could do as suggested and save them both and build an Academy one or a Heller one (Or the SMER one which is if I remember correctly the Heller one).
Also, it's been years since I last built an Airfix Storch but yes, it's a good one.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The Academy kit is nice and comes in different versions, some come with a free vehicle.

If you want an easy detailed build go for the Academy kit, the bagged kits moulds would have had less use so might be crisper than the card version, but as Greg says build both there's several colour schemes that look good.

Are you a builder or collector?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I only have one kit that I won't build; a Revell Zero that's the same, down to the box style, as the very first model that I ever built. Everything else is fair game whatever age, value or packaging type. Ultimately, it's a personal decision but I'd buy the Academy kit and then build all three. ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Springy67 wrote:Obviously the card header version is older but I have a soft spot for the blister packaging as it represents the time at which I first started buying Airfix kits. I have fond memories of our local newsagent having a rotating stand loaded with Airfix blister packs.

So, which one should I build? Card header or blister pack? Or should I just buy the Academy Storch and build that instead?
Sounds simple enough to. The bagged kit has no relevance to you except as a kit to build. The unbuilt and complete blister has nostalgic value. Clearly, the blister stays as it is, while the baggy either gets built or sent to a place where it is more appreciated (most likely in exchange for another Storch kit for building).
fredk

Post by fredk »

Dazzled wrote:... Everything else is fair game whatever age, value or packaging type. Ultimately, it's a personal decision ...
Same-o, except I have two kits saved but all else is for building.
If you want to keep one, then it must be the blister pack and build the baggie.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
vacant

Post by vacant »

Build them both - what is the point in keeping either one or both in their bags? They can't be worth much as an investment and they are not the most interesting things to look at when in their bags. Besides, there are several different colour schemes for it so they will both look good. You can also can learn how to built it from one, then build the second one more easily - it isn't the easiest of kits to build. Then buy the Academy kit and build that as well. Kits are for building, not for stashing, investment or anything else.
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Springy67 »

Thanks guys, for your comments. Rob and fred, I think you hit the nail on the head for me - I am going to build the bagged version and keep the blister pack. I know it's not worth keeping both as they don't have much resale value but the blister pack has more nostalgia value for me.

In answer to you, Splash, I am mostly a builder but I do collect certain kits (and, like most of us, I acquire faster than I build). I have at least two of all the Matchbox orange range armoured kits, one of which I will never build, but that's because they have a big connection for me back to my youth. I also want to get a copy of the SdKfz radio car for the same reason. I got back into modelling a few years ago when I was out of work. Looking back now, I recognize I was probably a bit depressed (and I don't say that lightly) and I think that plastic modelling provided a connection back to a more carefree time. I loved the Matchbox kits and so to have them (and occasionally open the box and fondle the pieces :oops: ) is a comfort. It may sound stupid but that's how it is.

And I'll still be on the lookout for the Academy kit!

Best wishes
Springy
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

vacant wrote:Kits are for building, not for stashing, investment or anything else.
In principle, yes. But, people are a funny lot, and get attached to all sorts of wierd objects, including unbuilt kits (and being built ones, should there be some mishap with CA). It shouldn't matter what the world at large thinks of a kit, if you want to build it, build it, but if you have some sort of emotional or nostalgic connection to it, some protection might well be in order. The funny thing is, that most of such connections will be to kits the rest of the world thinks are just so much junk - but sometimes, it's our junk, and that makes all the difference. :roll:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Springy67 wrote:It may sound stupid but that's how it is.
As a certain pointy-eared scientist so often pointed out, humans are illogical..
I find the best way to deal with that particular flaw is to enjoy it :-D
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Like you the blisters were my introduction to kits. I got one every month but was only allowed the series one blisters - boxed kits were christmas treats! They cost 25p from Gamleys in Lewis. I was toying with the idea of collecting blister packs but deep down I feel sorry for kits that don´t get built!
running at the edge of their world

Return to “Small Talk”