Europe Model Kits ?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Europe Model Kits ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

A few years ago, I "discovered" this old, and apparently small, French or Belgian (??) line of 1/32 turn-of-century car kits from the 1960's.

I completed the 1891 Panhard, started the 1895 Panhard, and just now got the 1905 Panhard Tourer. IMO, they are excellent, if somewhat difficult.

Two questions:
-- is anyone aware of their catalog and/or history, are there other auto kits ? I have found nothing so far.
-- if you should spot one, not of the 3 above, at SMW could you make a note of the subject and the modeler/vendor for me so I can try to track it down ?

Thanks in advance.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Europe Model Kits ?

Post by Purplethistle »

I tried Googling 'Europe 1/32 voiture' and other combinations of French keywords but it would seem that Europe only made the three kits that you already have.
I did however find this site, which although a bit expensive, has a very comprehensive list of interesting car kits and often their kit/ serial number if you want to pursue any of them from other sources.

http://www.hollandplasticmodelkits.nl/hoofdframe.htm;
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thank you very much, at least I know there were only 3 kits -- that's a bad news / good news thing.

Interestingly, the first two -- the 1891 and 1895 -- had only French language instructions. I spent a lot of time with Google Translate. The newest kit -- the 1905 -- has bi-lingual French/English which will make things easier and particularly since the English is excellent.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

Were these the kits meant to be given away in a wine offer?
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

fredk wrote:Were these the kits meant to be given away in a wine offer?
?? What leads you to ask ?

I will note there is nothing on the box or instructions that points at any company other than EMK (I have the Kitmaster Restaurant car which cites a Nabisco promotion, and an Airfix Hurricane which cites a newspaper promotion.)-- neither is any address or location given, so maybe they were not kits in their own right but supplementary to something else as you suggest -- although speaking from experience, I would not want to build one while consuming.
fredk

Post by fredk »

As far as I remember only about 3 car kits were made in the wine promotion
I can only remember a few sketchy details; the kit producer linked up with a winery. A promotion, on the bottles, I think, had the consumer post off for one of the models. The promo did not go well, there were problems, French Gov didn't like it and the promo ended after only a few dozen kits were made.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Hmmm, there are a few too many of these on Ebay for that -- if there are only a few dozen, I have two of each.

Any more key words or thoughts come to mind, maybe we can track these down. Google isn't being helpful.
fredk

Post by fredk »

'a few dozen' may not accurately represent the totals produced, but it wasn't in the thousands which were hoped to be produced.
Note your cars are all French; afair the anticipated range was to be antique to classic cars and aeroplanes and famous figures, all French, but only some cars were made.
I think the consumer had to send some sort of proof of purchase for about 12 bottles, a sum of money and postage for these 'exclusive' models.
It also comes to mind that allegedly 6 car kits were produced but no-one has ever seen more than a certain 3, the other 3 are a mystery.
It was a long time ago I read all this and I can't remember where. Might be in a book I have, maybe not.....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Fascinating, actually.

EDIT: I looked on the 1891 kit instructions and found what I believe to be EMK's address: 82 Rue Danton, Levallois (Seine), which is right here: and which appears to be a home senior service now. Wonder what's in the attic ?

Return to “Small Talk”