Hasegawa 1/72 P-51D

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
IrishAir
Active Participant

Hasegawa 1/72 P-51D

Post by IrishAir »

Evening all,
I'm looking for information on Hasegawas 1/72 P-51D, the curent tool not the old one. I bought one a few weeks ago and I have been searching for it online but so far it has yielded nothing, does anyone know anything about this kit and is there any problems with it?

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
MerlinJones

Re: Hasegawa 1/72 P-51D

Post by MerlinJones »

Perhaps an absence of on-line comment signifies a trouble-free kit?

Regards,
Bruce
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by johnsan »

It's a pretty good kit. Well worth getting and building. I'd call it a toss up between the Tamiya and Hasegawa. Tamiya looks a bit more chunky when finished.
Really nothing pithy to say.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Hi Paul.

I've built this kit (in P-51K guise). It looks good when finished, but a couple of things that niggle me on my finished build is:

1) The very shallow and unrepresentative main wheel wells (disregard if you're building wheels up!)

2) My one ended up with insufficient wing dihedral (ie the wings look very 'flat' when viewed from head on). Don't know if this is a characteristic of the kit, or whether I didn't place the interior exactly in position, thereby making the fuse a bit fat and pushing out the upper wing roots. Whatever, it's one to watch for.

3) Lack of any representation of the grill effect in the radiator inlet.

Apart from 2), you're not going to notice the above when the completed model is in the display cabinet and - as other posters have said - it's a nice wee kit.

I also have an example of the old Hase P-51D and, apart from the solid radiator outlet flap and moulded in exhaust stacks, I think it has certain advantages over the new mould. Depends if you like delicately raised panel lines, of course. It's also pretty cheap on e-bay.

Hope some of the above is helpful.
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
IrishAir
Active Participant

Post by IrishAir »

Thank you Martin, that is very helpful, I had noticed the wheel wells were a bit shallow alright.

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill

Return to “Small Talk”