What does your travelling model building kit look like?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
uavdb
Active Participant

What does your travelling model building kit look like?

Post by uavdb »

Here's mine. My wife bought these stackable containers with secure snaps that lock for a spill free package for me to load up my junk when we go camping.
The pics here show the way I pack it up with the tools, glues, sanding implements and painting supplies. There is another bottom part that I can put about 6 of the small Testors rattle cans of paint in if I anticipate needing to spray. There's lots of room for bottled paints for extended trips.
Anyway, I just thought I'd show what I take. This is what I use for short trips.
uavdb (Dave)
BlohmWolf
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: What does your travelling model building kit look like?

Post by BlohmWolf »

I don't have a travelling model building kit.

As I never have to travel! I can stay at my workbench as much as I want :mrgreen:
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Mobile modelling? Well, my I hand the stage over to Sir T, truly the most mobile of all modellers!

Zee
vacant

Post by vacant »

If that's what you use for short trips, what do you take for long trips? As it is, it looks as if the various boxes would fit neatly inside a kitchen sink.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Zee28 wrote:Mobile modelling? Well, my I hand the stage over to Sir T, truly the most mobile of all modellers!

Zee
That'd be me then - 90% of my modelling is done at lunch time in the back of my i10 - here's my kit, all mobile

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

vacant wrote:If that's what you use for short trips, what do you take for long trips? As it is, it looks as if the various boxes would fit neatly inside a kitchen sink.
For longer trips I use a second bottom part which is as deep as the one shown with the paints in it. That way I can pack more paints...but on long trips I also bring one of my bass guitars to practice with for when I dont feel like modelling. :shock:
uavdb (Dave)
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Sir T wrote:
Zee28 wrote:Mobile modelling? Well, my I hand the stage over to Sir T, truly the most mobile of all modellers!

Zee
That'd be me then - 90% of my modelling is done at lunch time in the back of my i10 - here's my kit, all mobile

Regards

Stuart
Sir T you are the king of mobile modelling but you have to be since you dont have a regular space at home as I recall. I really like your setup, by the way.
uavdb (Dave)
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I normally don't have time to model when I am travelling but on the rare occasions that I do - or think that I might - I usually take paper models and work on simple tasks like cutting and laminating smaller parts. The only tools I need for this are a sharp knife withe fresh blade, a cutting mat, a straight edge (normally on about 15cm long), an old credit card for spreading glue over parts to be laminated, and a cloth that I can dampen to wipe away any surplus glue...and some glue, either spray glue or the UHU stringy stuff...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

SJPONeill wrote:I normally don't have time to model when I am travelling but on the rare occasions that I do - or think that I might - I usually take paper models and work on simple tasks like cutting and laminating smaller parts. The only tools I need for this are a sharp knife withe fresh blade, a cutting mat, a straight edge (normally on about 15cm long), an old credit card for spreading glue over parts to be laminated, and a cloth that I can dampen to wipe away any surplus glue...and some glue, either spray glue or the UHU stringy stuff...

I like the excellent looking paper models that are available, especially the 1/33rd scale planes which I see as micro scale r/c subjects...maybe one day I'll try it!
You guys who build them have more patience than I do.
uavdb (Dave)
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

I admire you all, I simply couldn't do it. If I wasn't surrounded by my modelling bench paraphernalia (of which there is TONS) then I'd feel lost. To move all my stuff would take a truck!

I'm very much a 'Comfort Zone' sort of fella, take me out of my man-cave and I get twitchy and nervous... Quick, get me home!

Zee
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

uavdb wrote:I like the excellent looking paper models that are available, especially the 1/33rd scale planes which I see as micro scale r/c subjects...maybe one day I'll try it!
You guys who build them have more patience than I do.
Of course the beauty of paper models is that you can, with not much extra effort enlarge to whatever scale you like so they don't necessarily have to be 'micro'...there is a build at papermodelers at the moment enlarging a PO-2 from 1/33 to 1/16 which give you an idea of what is involved...[http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/avia ... rsion.html]

As for patience, I am not really a patient modeller in any medium even if my builds do take forever or longer; I found the biggest difference between plastic and paper models was that both require different techniques - but also that you can gain a lot by crosspollinating techniques form one tother...

When I get my act together and achieve some stability in the job market, I'll reinvigorate the paper modelling discussion here...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “Small Talk”