Alecras' Workbench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
alecras234
Active Participant

Re: airbrush

Post by alecras234 »

i don't really know what im doing when modelling, i need to follow steps or something. i saw on humbrol channel the guy said to put a thin wash on the model first, i dunno.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

alecras234 wrote:i don't really know what im doing when modelling, i need to follow steps or something. i saw on humbrol channel the guy said to put a thin wash on the model first, i dunno.
OK the idea there is to give something the next normal coat something to grip onto, a good idea with acrylics. Once the wash is dry you should try putting a coat of the lightest of the camouflage scheme colours on.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

I have just brush painted a second coat on my model and itr looks good, maybe abit dark. how do i brush paint thinly? What i do is dip the tip of my flat brush into the paint pot only a little paint on the tip, so how do i thin it?
novokits
Active Participant

Re: removing paint

Post by novokits »

I used thing for cleaning sewer pipes. In Russia, known under the brand name "Krot" ("Mole").
is a dry mixture of chemicals for dissolution in water.
Ingredients: sodium hydroxide, sodium sulfate.
Chemical reaction: Na2SO4 + Ca (OH) 2 → CaSO4 + 2NaOH
You may be able to buy something like that, for example, probably "Tiret" or some other.

Sodium destroy paint. Paint falls off from polystyrene, plastic remains intact.

Good luck!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Use a jam jar lid or similar, use the brush to put a dollop of paint on it. Wet the brush lightly with water and mix it with the paint, repeat if necessary so that it is a thinner but not runny consistency. Experiment, try it on the model if it too thicj add wet the brush again and mix it with the paint. Now paint the plane. When paint runs out or starts getting to thick add more paint and thin as before. You have to find out what consistency of paint works best for you and the make of paint you are using. There are no hard and fast rules anyone can give you.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Re: removing paint

Post by fearless frankie »

Wire brush and Nitromors
alecras234
Active Participant

build

Post by alecras234 »

hi i've painted the camo of my 1:72 hurricane, i decided to have the wheels down so i glued the wheel support thing onto the underside of the plane, they fell off after applying glue so now theres a build up of glue plus the struts have bent.
alecras234
Active Participant

Re: build

Post by alecras234 »

would building model planes be easier in 1/42 scale? i'm having trouble with 1/72 scale models.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TobyC »

Yes. A larger scale would help immensely. 1/32 kits are quite big but certainly easier to fit together
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

thank you. i have had another look at my model where the wheels go and i've managed to glue them on and they seem to be sticking. im going to leave now until tomorrow, they should be solid by tomorrow. i'll post an image of the model tomorrow.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

alecras234
Active Participant

decals

Post by alecras234 »

im just thinking about applying decals, what do i need to do, do i cover the whole model in humbrol clear first before using other solutions to apply the decals or is it wrong to do this? i have looked on youtube and a few decal this way. i have never decalled, its my first time and i want to get it right.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: decals

Post by TobyC »

Humbrol clear is fine but any gloss varnish will do. I use Microset before applying the decal and Microsol after. Leave it to dry after using Microset and leave it for a few hours after using Microsol. Both available online and applied with a brush.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

hi, my build is going very well im very pleased up until the otherday when a wheel fell off. I glued it back on but now the aircraft doesn't sit level. What can i do to level out the wheels without damaging the model?
alecras234
Active Participant

finishing up

Post by alecras234 »

Hi I varnished my model plane yesterday using Humbrol clear, i used a flat brush and dipped the brush into the bottle, is this ok? i dont know what to use to put the clear into instead of dipping my brush in the bottle of clear because i don't know how much clear goes into the bristles, you only need a little ye? How do i handle the decls? what do i pour clear into to let the decels soak? then after applying decelfix to the model can i pick the decel up with tweezers to place on model?

Return to “Workbench Window”