Dirk Pitt, The ADD Model Builders Workbench Space

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: Dirk Pitt's Hanger [Part 2]

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Hey stranger where you been hiding yourself lately? What adventures you been on?
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I finished this a while ago but forgot to post the pictures.

This is the Monogram SeaQuest Stinger kit. It started out as a straight forward build but as some builds do it took on a life of its own and went in directions I never envisioned in the beginning

The Box

The biggest change I made was to the fuselage. You see the kit was completely off which should be no surprise considering the age of the kit (early to mid 90's).

As you can see in the photo below the kit had the canopy come down to a point as marked off by the red lines. The whole area marked with red scribble was all canopy.

Using Evergreen styrene I re-made the fuselage walls to be more like the 1/1 prop made by the studio. I then had to hack the hell out of the canopy to get it to fit. Talk about nerve wracking....

Here is the end results

Thanks for looking
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

That looks much better with your modifications. The display with the seaweed is cool too. :)
Up in the Great White North
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

My next project is a little different. A friend through my older son's Boy Scout troop is trying to get me involved in slot car racing. Not long ago he invited me and my youngest over and allowed him to race his 1/32 scale cars along with some of his fellow club members. We had a blast. The following week he showed up with a full car kit which he gave me. it was a Ferrari which needs to be assembled and painted (will be a different thread). Then the next week he came by with yet another car. This one was an Audi R8C as used in the 1999 La Mans 24 hour race.

Here are the parts

The rear wheels are missing and it needs a motor but the gentlemen that gave me the kit said I can come over and sort through his parts box for what i may need.

This is the stock interior

This is a light weight upgrade interior that he gave me also. This is just one of many things you can do to upgrade a slot car

Now the funny thing about these slot car kits is that none of them come with instructions. You have to figure it all out on your own.

Be back soon with more
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Ready for some paint

I'm going to be using craft acrylics on this build. I'm going for a traditional British racing look. I choose the color "Evergreen" over "Black"

The formula is equal parts of paint/ windshield washer fluid. THen I add a little varnish to the mix for the shine.

Masking to paint the billboards

.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

This next kit was started back in July 2013. It's a Revell 78 Pontiac that I'm turning into the Firebird from the 1978 movie with Burt Reynolds and Michael-Jan Vincent called Hooper

I'm going to be using craft acrylics for this one. The mixture for this will be 1/1 paint and windshield washer fluid (the blue stuff. It has to be the blue stuff) and a few drops of varnish for a shine.

This is the look after 4 coats of color and about 4 coats of Future.

Thanks for looking, there will be more to come soon
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Another kit I'm currently working on is this 2010 GT500 Shelby. It is part of a cancer awareness build that was going on on youtube last year.

I snarfed the paint job when I went to add the black accents to the body. It was at that time I put the kit away. Well now its time to knock it out. I sanded the body and broke out the pink nail polish again.

Here is the color

Here she is after 4 coats of nail polish

Here she is after 4 coats of Future

here is the interior. The interior is going to be to-toned charcoal or panzer gray and then a light gray headliner.

The dash needs some touch-up work but its close

Thats it for now. Thanks for taking the time to look at my work

Till next time....

B - Strong
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by philp »

Ok, enough with the new projects. Finish up the Partridge Family S'cool Bus already.
And if you still have the window decals from it I might need them for my model. I got the first reissue of this and I have heard it didn't include them but haven't opened the box to confirm.

I built many of the Tom Daniels kits in my teens and lost them all in one of our moves. What the movers wanted with my old lousy build ups I will never know but I was smiling big when they announced they were reissuing some of them and now have added Dragon Wagon, Rommel's Rod, Tijuana Taxi and Ice Tee back to the stash. Heard Jinx Express is coming out next month and while I know you can find Fast Buck, which is the same kit, out there but was not the same as the one I built in silver with the green glass. Still might pick up the Paddy Wagon with the figures and would love to see one of the Firecracker (though Fire Iron would be ok).

Now I don't normally build cars but make an exception for TV and Movie kits and Tom Daniels. When I saw the pic with the bus in blue I thought the S'cool Bus would be neat to do like that because you can't find a real bus kit and then when I look, that is what you are doing so get on the ball and mask up all those panels.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

philp wrote:Ok, enough with the new projects. Finish up the Partridge Family S'cool Bus already.
And if you still have the window decals from it I might need them for my model. I got the first reissue of this and I have heard it didn't include them but haven't opened the box to confirm.

I built many of the Tom Daniels kits in my teens and lost them all in one of our moves. What the movers wanted with my old lousy build ups I will never know but I was smiling big when they announced they were reissuing some of them and now have added Dragon Wagon, Rommel's Rod, Tijuana Taxi and Ice Tee back to the stash. Heard Jinx Express is coming out next month and while I know you can find Fast Buck, which is the same kit, out there but was not the same as the one I built in silver with the green glass. Still might pick up the Paddy Wagon with the figures and would love to see one of the Firecracker (though Fire Iron would be ok).

Now I don't normally build cars but make an exception for TV and Movie kits and Tom Daniels. When I saw the pic with the bus in blue I thought the S'cool Bus would be neat to do like that because you can't find a real bus kit and then when I look, that is what you are doing so get on the ball and mask up all those panels.
Well to be fair Philip all these builds (except for the Audi slot cat) are well over a year old. I'm trying to knock out some of my old builds to make some room. The Partridge Family s'cool bus is right here next to the bench. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. I need that.
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
philp

Post by philp »

Ok, fine, I understand the need to clear the old builds. I have plenty of them myself.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

The craft paints and nail varnish look to have worked well Dirk. You thin them and spray through an airbrush right?

Nigel
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Clashcityrocker wrote:The craft paints and nail varnish look to have worked well Dirk. You thin them and spray through an airbrush right?

Nigel
Yes both get sprayed with an airbrush. The craft paint is mixed 1:1 (paint:windshield washer fluid)

The nail polish is also a 1:1 mix with any cheap lacquer thinner. I've been getting a lot of questions about that so if you're interested I could throw together a how to video.
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Nice work space and kits
George B.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

gbrwn56 wrote:Nice work space and kits
Thank you
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Unmasking the Audi Slot-It race car

Starting to assemble the parts. The exhaust is made up of 4 parts. Seems to be a lot for a kit this tiny but it is what it is. I also installed the tail lights

The special decal sheet I ordered arrived. I was worried about them at first but they are actually professionally done. This does not represent an actual car. This is just a random livery scheme based on the materials I had

Thanks for looking
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel

Return to “Workbench Window”