Miguelito's shiny work bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Miguelito's shiny work bench

Post by ShaunW »

Oh wow Mig, I know the ISU took a lot of work but what a superb result. More good stuff as well with that excellent looking Tiger dio. Tanks really do look so much better on a base but I have thus far never got around to making display bases for my own vehicles. I did think of making a generic base just for the purposes of photos but I always seem to have too many unfinished projects demanding my attention! Looking forward to seeing more of that very promising looking Hawk as well.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Excellent figure work!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by mjatx »

Thanks, Gents!

Been a while since I've had any progress on the bench, but I just started the Eduard's 1/72 FW-190A8/R2. This is the 'weekend edition' kit, which I doubt I'll be able to complete in a weekend. The kit comes with LOTS of plastic, but in the end, it looks like I'll only be using about half of what is supplied. Got started on the cockpit. It's very nicely detailed, but no sooner had I started it, when I lost part of the cockpit armor to the carpet monster. I managed to fashion a replacement piece, but hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Some wonderful work going on here. Keep the pics coming.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Thanks, OT.

Well, I managed to get most of the work done on the cockpit. Really a very nicely detailed office. The seat belts are a decal, and would have probably looked better with some PE, or a little more thickness for better depth.

The kit also provided a decal for the I/P, but I completely botched that one up, so I just picked out the details with some dry brushing.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Professional Office Services :). I like the tub.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a very nice looking cockpit for the FW Mig. I have also often wondered as to Eduard's definition of a weekend as there is no way I could fiish one of their offerings in the conventional two day affair!

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

ShaunW wrote:That is a very nice looking cockpit for the FW Mig. I have also often wondered as to Eduard's definition of a weekend as there is no way I could fiish one of their offerings in the conventional two day affair!
Exactly! I sometimes work slow, but it took me the better part of a day and a half to get the cockpit together and painted. Maybe 'weekend' translates to something different in Czech.

I was able to get the fuselage sealed up. After all is said and done, the cockpit opening on the FW-190 is so tight, there's not going to be much to see.

I was also able to get the engine mounted and the cowling and wings attached. The fit is really outstanding. What I didn't get pictured was the VERY detailed wheel wells. So far, this one's going along nicely. It doesn't necessarily "fall together", but with a little care it really is very easy to work with.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Nice looking pit that!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
celt

Post by celt »

Great work, how do you have so many models on the go at any one time? I can only manage one and still bin more than I put on the shelf. :???:
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

celt wrote:Great work, how do you have so many models on the go at any one time? I can only manage one and still bin more than I put on the shelf. :???:
Honestly, I have too many models on the go right now. I usually try to limit my WIP to five, or less, at any one time. Unfortunately, I have 6 going right now, but I'm going to focus only on the BAE-100, which is getting seams filled momentarily, and the FW-190.

Speaking of the Focke-Wulf, here's where it sits as of last night. Major construction is completed and it's just about ready for some priming. What a nice model to work on! Some parts require a little more patience than others, and I kind of screwed up the cowling, but I think I got it straightened out.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nicely done, that Eduard FW-190 is a great looking offering. In the next few weeks I hope to be building the Airfix new tool 190 A-8 and I wonder how they compare?

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

ShaunW wrote:Nicely done, that Eduard FW-190 is a great looking offering. In the next few weeks I hope to be building the Airfix new tool 190 A-8 and I wonder how they compare?
I've built the Airfix offering, and I'd say it's the second-best FW-190 kit at 1/72nd I've built. The details on the Eduard are really amazing and hard to beat. For instance, Eduard offers two separate canopies, one to if you are going to model it with a closed canopy and one if you are going to model it with an open canopy. The difference being that when the canopy slid open, the plastic/glass/whatever the material is was made of, would bulge out somewhat. I'm no rivet-counter, and the vast majority of people would never notice this, but I think it's REALLY cool that they would go to that level of detail. There are other details such as different cowlings, two choices of tires, and the Eduard kit doesn't have the annoying sprue gates that Airfix does.

Don't get me wrong, the Airfix kit is a very nice kit, especially for the price, but for just a few dollars more (about $6 more in the U.S.), you really get a fantastic offering. Either way, you won't go wrong. I've heard the Hasegawa kit is "the best", but I've never built it, so I can't comment.
Marek

Post by Marek »

looks good, cant wait for next installment! :)
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Marek wrote:looks good, cant wait for next installment! :)
Here it is!

Actually, it's not much of an installment, but it's ready for the paint shop. I taped up the canopy, which I plane on modeling open. The cockpit armoring includes additional canopy armor, which are the two rectangular-ish pieces on the same 'handle' as the canopy. Those need to be mounted to the sides of the canopy, which could get interesting. :roll:

I figured I'd paint them separately and try attaching them after the fact. Not sure I could mount them before painting and not get paint all over the clear parts.

Return to “Workbench Window”