Stupots sanctuary

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: Stupots sanctuary

Post by Softscience »

that looks cool Stu. What did you fashion the mirrors from?
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Softscience wrote:that looks cool Stu. What did you fashion the mirrors from?
Thanks, the mirrors were cut from the flat lid of a margarine container and the supports are stretched sprue. Because of the clear screen and test fitting of the canopy I attached these parts with pva just to be on the safe side!

Cheers
Stu
Old fashioned paint brush user.
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Lots of modelling time today! :) The Hawk and B-1b are progressing nicely although there isn’t much new to show just yet. Anyway I wanted to start another kit and decided to give this old Airfix ME262 a go. Here's what I've been up to already...

I’ve added a quick instrument panel and control column, mounted on a new floor. I'm using the kit seat but have modified it and added the cushions and straps. Also, the cockpit was opened up a little more by cutting away some plastic underneath the windscreen area.

I also tried to improve the shape of the gun ports too but I’m not sure about them. Perhaps some primer will show them up better. I’ll wait and see!

Stu
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Ok, I’ve finished the camouflage on the Lancer and have spent some time masking and painting the white bits around the canopy but here is a photo of the tail end…

I’m working on the area where the wings sweep back but something you might notice is that the kit doesn’t have the scoops in the tail (for ECM equipment I think). By the time I gave it a thought it was too late to start gouging out plastic but I guess it’s one to remember for next time.

I’m leaving off the extra aerials and pitot tubes that I made until after the decals are applied. I’ll only end up knocking them off otherwise!

Stu :)
hamden
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by hamden »

Hi Stu

The 262 looks interesting I shall follow this with interest.

Roger
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

hamden wrote:Hi Stu

The 262 looks interesting I shall follow this with interest.

Roger
Thanks for looking in Roger, I've got the two fuselage halves cemented together now. I'll take a few more pics once the wings and engines are on! :)

Cheers
Stu
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

After a coat of gloss I’ve now made a start on the B-1b decals. I thought the long wing walk markings would be the trickiest to apply so I did them first to get them out of the way. In fact they were easy. Each wing has two long pieces, neither broke and they were easy to move around once on the model. Great stuff, so now, having also done the engines and tailplane, I just have the main fuselage decals to do.

Construction of the Hawk is nearly complete. The canopy is now attached, just the nose pitot to go on and the internal colour to paint on to the canopy frames. Once those little jobs are finished I’m going to put it to one side and build this…

Heritage Aviation’s Grob Vigilant T1. Both of these models will be sprayed white so it seems to make sense to do them at the same time.

Stu
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Finished the B-1b at last. Yes it’s taken a while but I should stress that this is no fault of the kit – I just haven’t had much time recently. So to sum up, once the decals were on I sealed them in with another gloss coat and followed this up with a couple of coats of matt. The varnishes were all from Humbrol rattle cans. I had intended to have moveable tail planes but when they were fitted they were obviously too back heavy and wouldn’t stay in the right position so they had to be glued in place. Lastly, with the engines attached the model was finished - most enjoyable!

I’ve posted a few more pictures of the model here…
http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1240;

I also made up the base in the photos last week and took some pics as I went along. I may add a quick step by step in the diorama section later.

Cheers
Stu
hamden
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by hamden »

Hi Stupot

Absolutely stunning B1 Lancer. How's the 262 coming on?

Roger
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Some excellent work going on here and nice attention to detail. Look forward to progress on the Vigilant.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Marek
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Marek »

Stu, lots of excellent projects coming on. I really liked the Lancer. Waiting on Hawk and Messie.
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Thanks guys!
hamden wrote:Hi Stupot

Absolutely stunning B1 Lancer. How's the 262 coming on?

Roger
Roger,
the fuselage halves, wings and engine have been made up now. I'll try to post some pictures soon.
Thanks for the interest!
Stu
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Hi all, modelling time has definitely been lacking again over the last few months but this week has seen some more progress and fun… :)
Firstly the Vigilant, which as you can see is well on its way. I really struggled with the wings and it took ages to get them lined up properly. In fact they were pulled off completely at one point and reattached. Eventually they looked ok but I used heaps of filler to blend them in. Before moving on to the interior I sprayed some primer over the model which uncovered a few tiny holes here and there. These were dealt with and followed up with another coat of primer.

The interior was finished the other day. I added the belts, some levers and the control columns. Next the vacform canopy was cut out. I’ve done this once before but it didn’t make it any easier. Still, I think (hope!) it’ll look ok!

I tried to clean up the little windows in the side but I found this a little tricky because of the resin just inside of them and anyone who looks closely enough when it's done will notice that the two windows are a slightly different shape. Never mind though, this is my first go at a resin kit so I’m learning all the time!

Now the ME262. Construction was easy but I used quite a bit of filler here and there. As well as filling the gaps I had a go at altering the profile of the nose cone which I thought looked too pointy. Once I was happy with all my filling and sanding efforts I brushed on a coat or two of humbrol primer and sanded this smooth. At this stage I looked at the gun ports that I modified earlier and decided that they looked ok. I’ve also made up some aerials to add to the model later on as nothing is provided in the kit itself. So as things stand just now I’ve painted some blue overall and will soon start on the upper camouflage colours.

Feeling enthusiastic I’ve started an Airfix Mustang too. Here is the completed cockpit. I made up the gun sight from scrap and added some seat belts but otherwise I thought the detail was quite good. It’s strange but I’ve never built a Mustang before and I’m rather enjoying this one.

More soon, well hopefully sooner than before! :grin:
Stu
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nice work on a bunch of different projects. I like it
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I love the Bone. That Vigilant looks really cool.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale

Return to “Workbench Window”