The Ultimate Airbrush Handbook by Pamala Shanteau

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

The Ultimate Airbrush Handbook by Pamala Shanteau

Post by CementNotGlue »

Although not specifically aimed at the scale modeller, this indexed, 150 page book, is thorough terse and informative, lifting it to 'essential' status.

It does not promote any airbrush manufacturer, but does provide exercises for both dual and single-action airbrushes. My external-mix airbrush along with their pros and cons are explained. Paint manufactures on the other hand are mentioned and a strategy for learning what and what does not work suggested.

I like this book because it encourages experimentation and although we may not have a studio, as the photograph of Pamala's studio shows, as professionally inviting a working area, the handbook might need to be kept away from girlfriends and spouses who might discover that this hobby has the potential to make them popular with their body-fashion orientated friends.

Best bits. The tips, how to clean the airbrush and troubleshooting.

The short-falls are that since the book was written in 2002, air compressors aimed at the hobbiest have become widely available, so we get a glimpse of what artists were limited to. Nevertheless this section, along with types of airbrush, make this book worthy of reading before we embark upon a purchase. I think there could have been a compare-and-contrast the different types of mask. Brands only familiar to 'New World' readers. Liquid mask only gets a tiny mention. Inclusion of a glossary might have led to repetition.

Watson-Guptill Publications $24.95

Return to “Publications”