Military Vehicle Modelling by Phil Greenwood

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Military Vehicle Modelling by Phil Greenwood

Post by CementNotGlue »

My 2004 impression has been for me a great reintroduction to armoured vehicle modelling in the 21st Century. What to use, when and how, though Phil might like to revisit the glazing of the Morris tractor in the Airfix Bofors kit and tell us why he has not painted it before glazing and which glue to use.

He should have employed a professional index compiler. For those of us returning to modelling, resin parts are new. Yes it gets listed in the index, but the gluing of does not! Same with the modern application of decals. So twice I've added notes to the index.

Personally I don't like the bias towards 1/35 and modellers on this forum have developed a technique for getting all a vehicle's tyres to contact a flat surface.

I particularly like the illustrated guide to cleaning an airbrush, but would like to know why he does not use it all the time. Also the enamel v. acrylic paint dilemma. I'll stick with enamel!

More review to follow
LarryH57
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Military Vehicle Modelling by Phil Greenwood

Post by LarryH57 »

Personally, I think the Morris gun tractor featured in the book was built by a child who wanted their model in his book, as the painting on the wheels was worse than my early attempts. I also found this book irritating in that it never explained how to make a model tank with wrap around tracks and paint the road wheels, wheel rubbers and tracks in different colours once it has been assembled. It's OK for someone who has been modelling armour for years but if a novice wants help when starting out then this is not the book for them.

Return to “Publications”