A-7 Corsair II retirement build

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: A-7 Corsair II retirement build

Post by TobyC »

That's some cracking work you've done there. My Airfix one had an accident but I have another so may dig it out. The tail decals look character building :)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That looks super!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup August...

Great progress mate. keep at it, you'll win in the end !
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

After a lot of cutting and fiddling of decals elsewhere on the sheet, finally the tail decals were looking not too bad. From there it was an easy coast to the finish, although new national insignia decals had to be sourced from the box as the Superscale sheet didn't supply any and the Heller kit ones were awful.

Neither sheet provided much stenciling either, and I feel there should be more. I may add more decals as I run across them.

Late in the build I decided to add the Sidewinders for visual interest.

This is my first attempt at one of these gray over white USN paint schemes and they're difficult but the colors are nice looking. I'd do a few things differently next time and there will be a next time, as I have several planes from this era in the stash.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Very tidy Corsair!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's very nice - the tail was well worth the effort I would say. Is that the same as the Airfix boxing? If so I have the same kit - I hope it turns out as nice!

Great build!

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Thanks guys.

Yes Stuart, this is the Airfix. I have gone back and forth on what I think of the kit as I've built it. I am no A-7 expert, but those who are say that the shape, while not perfect, is about as good as any other A-7 kit. Fit is indifferent and detail is very limited. One thing that bothers me a little is the ordnance pylons which are just blank slabs of plastic. I'm aware that the AMS-afflicted can make a complex mini-kit out of each pylon, even if there's nothing hanging on it. I wouldn't want to do that but feel like there should be some more detail there.

The white plastic on this particular boxing was soft and wonderful to work with. A sharp knife went through it like butter. I realized that it probably would heat-stretch beautifully, so I tried it and sure enough, the only limit to how far I can stretch it is my own wingspan. I'm saving all of the sprues for future stretching. Some people attribute the workability of old plastic to the higher petroleum content in older kit styrene, but I'm not so sure. I see plenty of old styrene - for example, from Heller when it was really Heller - that is hard, brittle and doesn't stretch well at all.

A fun fact that I learned about the A-7 during this build is that, like the P-51, it wasn't a very good plane until it was re-engined with a licensed Rolls Royce. The A-7D (USAF) and E (Navy) used the Allison TF-41, a copy of the RR Spey; earlier versions with a Pratt engine were so underpowered that payload restrictions were imposed for carrier ops in the heat and humidity of southeast Asia.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”