Hansa Brandenburg W20

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Hansa Brandenburg W20

Post by vacant »

This is Airframe's 1/72 kit of the Hansa Brandenburg W20 seaplane. It was designed to be flown from submarines, but never used operationally in that way. Only 3 of the W20s were built.

It's the usual Airframe fare, i.e. a fairly crude vacform. Shapes for the fuselage and wings are provided. The rest is up to you. Building the struts that support the engine and of course building the engine itself, was a bit of a challenge. The model is rather small.

The lozenges come from a decal sheet that a fellow modeller kindly sent to me. The colour of the undersides is rather confusing. Some sources give it as a light blue, others as a a light grey. I opted for the light grey, but it might be wrong.

59North

Re: Hansa Brandenburg W20

Post by 59North »

Well done! That is a really cool build.
I have the CMR resin kit, which comes with everything. The fact you have scratch built all those small parts demands respect.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Brilliant!

That's an adorable little kite!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
celt

Post by celt »

:wanw
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Wow! Amazing work.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Finding a new post by Vacant in Aviation Modelling is always the promise of a treat, and this is no exception. Beautifully done and presented.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

What a great looking build Vacant, a charming little aeroplane. Nicely photographed too - at the 1:1 scale seaside?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
vacant

Post by vacant »

The base is a sheet of board covered with sand and varnish.

Many thanks to all for the positive comments on this one. It was quite a troublesome build in several ways, especially because of its diminutive size. The photos on my laptop screen are many times bigger than the model. At least it's easy to store, for a change.
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Sorry to be a bit late with this one - have been away and only just returned. This is one on my to do list - you have made an excellent job of it as usual, the more so as it is so small. I have also researched the markings and come to the same conclusion as you - i.e. nobody seems to know what the underside colour was. No matter, your looks really good and is an inspiration for me.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

That's a really attractive and unusual model and well up to your usual standard 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Aviation Modelling”