Imai 1/48 SKY 1 from UFO

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Imai 1/48 SKY 1 from UFO

Post by SJPONeill »

Cheers for those pics, Al...I wonder if the Studio 2 models are different from the Cassini ones [http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/cassiniskydiver.html] that were being made down under a couple of years back? Wouldn't it be nice if we were in for a glut of studio scale UFO/Anderson models?
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

While waiting for the paint to fully cure on the 279, I made some progress on Sky 1...
Sanded flush the Milliput filling the missile launching triggers... and also removed a millimetre or so from the log that fits into the pod's wing pylon so that the pod actually touches the pylon...
Shaped the forward end of the gun bay so that the forward fuselage will fit over it...
Before shaping
After shaping
...and with the forward fusage sitting in place...I had to sand away at the inside of this part as well - it is very thick - to get a fit...
...and a slightly blurry pic of the other side for those who have already had a few gins...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

As in my workbench window post just now, apologies for the crappy pix, not enough gin to steady the hands last night...and unable to reshoot til I get home for the weekend...

I am determined to make some progress on modelling projects each week and Sky 1 was the recipient of some attention last night...I used the Milliput left over from Tillie the Toiler to reinforce around the gundays as the mating surface is pretty sparse; and then added a plastic card backing to where I had sanded the backs of the bays to get them to fit past the original 1/48 cockpit I had in here before I rescaled it to 1/72...

SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I trimmed the excess resin off the avionics bays and mounted each inside the fuselage. I got a bit dislocated with my plan here as I thought that I had previous scribed on the outside where bay doors had to be cut out mais non - think that must have been for the gun bays...
So I drilled holes from the inside out to market the external edges of each bay, and offset these by a couple of millimetres to establish where the bays could be cut out...
A few careful slashes with the #11 blade et voila...I have since filled the holes and a couple of deviations from the cut lines and tidied up the cut edges with fine sandpaper...I used the surplus filler on a few random sink holes and on the seams on the rocket pods...
Finally, while in the mood for sanding, I halved the thickness of the fuselage parts that I had cut out to be the gun and avionics bays doors...
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

Great work on a interesting subject! Looking forward to seeing more of it!
Best from Ivan
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Al, what's that big-eyed fish in your pix ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

jRatz wrote:Al, what's that big-eyed fish in your pix ?
It was the bag guy's sub in the first episode of 'Stingray!'
Honcho of ASMMF

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”