Revell Mercury-Atlas 1/110

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Revell Mercury-Atlas 1/110

Post by Eric Mc »

This is a model I've had in my stash since around 1984. The kit itself dates back to the early 1960s but Revell have re-released it a number of times over the intervening decades. This edition came out in 1982/83 under a series they called "History Makers". It comes from that era when a photograph of the assembled model was considered the right thing to put on a box rather than some inspiring box art. You might be able to make out the "Beatties" price sticker in the top right hand corner of the box.

In the early days of the plastic kit industry, not all models were manufactured to recognised scales. Revell often produced their models in scales that fitted whatever box size they intended to use for the final packaged product.
Nowadays, I expect that an Atlas would be produced in 1/144, as this has become a standard scale for rockets but this works out at 1/110. Their Redstone was also 1/110.

Being a rocket, the actual Atlas pieces are fairly simple. In order to "pad out" the kit, Revell also included the entire launch pad and ramp together with a number of fuel and oxidiser tankers. Sadly, they didn't include the actual launch tower.
As you can see, I've part assembled some of the vehicle pieces.

I'll leave the actual rocket and Mercury capsule to last.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: Revell Mercury-Atlas 1/110

Post by mattbacon »

You may find these helpful, if you fancy super-detailing your diorama!

Full size here:
https://cmatthewbacon.smugmug.com/Famil ... 000609.jpg;

Full size here:
https://cmatthewbacon.smugmug.com/Famil ... -7_pad.jpg;

Full size here:
https://cmatthewbacon.smugmug.com/Famil ... ollout.jpg;

I know these are Geminis, not Mercurys but the pads are the same!

bestest,
M.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

The top one is a Mercury Atlas and shows Launch Complex 14 - which was designed specifically for Atlas rockets. The kit pad and ramp is pretty accurate in general outline to what you can see in the picture so that photo will be very useful.

The Titan pad used for Gemini launches was very different to that used for the Atlas. The plumbing and accessories in and around the pad were totally different as Titan used hypergolic fuels which are very different to the liquid oxygen/kerosene used on Atlas.
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

A very interesting build!! Looking forward to seeing more of this build.
Best from Ivan
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I'm concentrating on the pad and ramp at the moment rather than the rocket. Considering the vintage of the kit, I am impressed with the quality of the parts and their fit. Because the moulds were "only" 20 years old in 1983/84, there isn't that much flash on the parts. Reading reviews of more recent releases, flash is now more of an issue.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Progress report -

You've got to build this kit with a kind of modular approach. The assembly can be broken down into -

Atlas Booster and Mercury Spacecraft

The launch pad and ramp

The rocket support truss

The support vehicles and equipment

Ancilliary bits and pieces that embellish the launch pad - ladders, stairs, railings, light poles, pipes and plumbing

I am at varying degrees of of completion on different components.

As you can see, the support truss is essentially completed and painted. The rocket body has been assembled and primed in preparation of a coat of Alclad polished aluminium. At the moment it is sporting a coat of Halfords matt black which I have rubbed down to a semi-matt sheen. Next on will be a coat of Alclad's own gloss black underlay which is required for their polished aluminium finish. I have not tried this technique before so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
If it works, it may appear again on some of the all metal finish aircraft kits I've been reluctant to attempt up to now.

The main structure of the pad is complete and primed.

There's still a lot of work to do on this.

When checking through the components I discovered a date stamp which shows the moulds actually originated in 1959 - so almost as old as me. I have to say I am pretty impressed with the work the Revell tool makers did 56 years ago. Looking at pictures of the actual pad used for the Mercury flights (Launch Complex 14), they got it mostly right. The only thing wrong I can spot is the colour scheme they give for the pad which shows the piping being yellow and red. In reality, everything was painted various shades of (probably salt resistant) greys.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It shows my age, I remember when the kit first came out, unfortunately it was way out of my pocket money range so I never got to build one.

The detail looks incredible considering the age of the kit.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I am impressed with the whole kit. The shame is that it is an odd scale.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Still working on this. Had a break due to holiday, work etc (and sidetracking onto another project). It's gradually coming together and I will post some more pictures as soon as I can.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This might be an old kit but certainly the detail is nothing to be sniffed at IMHO.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I've just realised that the top of the Mercury capsule as provided is not very accurate. They omitted to include the fairly prominent parachute housing section. I'm looking at ways of replicating this - probably using a suitably sized piece of plastic tubing.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I like the yellow you have used, what is it?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

The "strongback" support cradle is Xtracrylix RAF Trainer Yellow over a Halfords Primer White base. The truss on which the rocket stands once vertical is Tamiya Zinc Cromate over Halfords White. I also pre-shaded these structures using Tamiya flat black to try and create a semi 3D shadow effect.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

As mentioned above, I decided the Mercury capsule was not quite accurate. The top of the capsule did not really feature a funny little spike as shown on the model. It actually had a rather more substantial cylinder that contained the parachute and radio location beacon. I've fashioned a small cylinder from a piece of brass tubing and will pop it on the top of the capsule and attach it using super glue.

IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

This is looking great!!!
Best from Ivan

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”