Amusing Hobby 1/35 Objekt 279

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Amusing Hobby 1/35 Objekt 279

Post by SJPONeill »

Thanks, John...had no idea what a full-size rope walk let alone one for models but found this great article here http://www.thenrg.org/resources/articles/ropewalk.pdf - a bit complex for the output I'm after but your option B is a good nudge for me to visit my LHS while I am in civilisation this week to see what he may have...it'll need to be pretty chunky as the tow eyes are no small...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
iggie

Post by iggie »

SJPONeill wrote:Thanks, John...had no idea what a full-size rope walk let alone one for models but found this great article here http://www.thenrg.org/resources/articles/ropewalk.pdf - a bit complex for the output I'm after but your option B is a good nudge for me to visit my LHS while I am in civilisation this week to see what he may have...it'll need to be pretty chunky as the tow eyes are no small...
That description of making your own Ropewalk is brilliant!! Having seen the real thing at Portsmouth Dockyard, I initially thought how on earth will he replicated that?!!
Great find thank you, and saved to my hard drive; not that I'll ever make my own I'm sure....but it's nice to know how, if I ever feel the need :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Oh, wow, that's a top-of-line ropewalk, I could tell as soon as I saw the Nautical Research Guild on it.

Here's a few pix of a simpler version - I'm sure if you study the fancy one and look at these, you'll see you can get the same effect for far less cost & effort. PS: I'm taking the pix, not standing in any of them.

If I'm not mistaken, he got the plans/article off the Model Expo website, but it was 5 years ago.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh wow, that is similar to the hand drill technique only at a much higher level!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

...and this was about as far as we got...

Got new job, lost new job...took a while to get back on my feet, stable and secure but think we are pretty there now...

I had gone off the colour I had used as well and so this has languished in its box until resurfacing in a reorganisation last night...I now like this colour and plan on getting another coat on once the weather dries up again...

I am very conscious that it is only a couple of months til the Scale Modelling Expo in Wellington and that I really should build/finish something for it this time...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
iggie

Post by iggie »

Great to see this is back on the bench, and good to hear things are better for you now
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
B4en

Post by B4en »

I didn't realize you'd been swimming in the river Kak. Fingers crossed things stay good for you. Plus I want to see this finished too...
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Great I was wondering what happened to this beast. Glad to hear things have settled for you.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Well it's been a while but it's good to see this project up and running again. Hopefully all will be well on the real life front now.

IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

SJPONeill wrote:...and this was about as far as we got...

Got new job, lost new job...took a while to get back on my feet, stable and secure but think we are pretty there now...

I had gone off the colour I had used as well and so this has languished in its box until resurfacing in a reorganisation last night...I now like this colour and plan on getting another coat on once the weather dries up again...

I am very conscious that it is only a couple of months til the Scale Modelling Expo in Wellington and that I really should build/finish something for it this time...
I was debating whether to wait another few weeks for the fifth anniversary of my last update on this build to roll around. The image of my most recent acquisition might have bene a bit of a giveaway that the 279 was on the move again...

It's survived our three house moves of 2019 with only minor damage - a broken track and some minor PE detail knocked off - and has risen to the surface as my big stash stocktake (thanks lots to Kitbase) draws to a close...

As someone commented at the time, yes, truly been swimming in the Great River Kak, got new job, quit new job, got another new job, stuck with new job and picked up some part-time gigs as well. New home doesn't need any work but it;s taken 18 months give or take to get on top of what needs to be unpacked and safely storing the rest (a challenge going from about 270 square metres down to around 150) and also maintaining some clear horizontal surfaces for creative projects. A lot smaller section means that I 'lose' an hour a day taking the dogs for a walk as they can't self-exercise anymore - that has some good mental health spin-offs for all three of us.

I've decided that I am spoked by my airbrush. I have been using every excuse to not paint anything - still haven't found my airbrshes from before our first move but have replaced them - and have had to fight very hard to resist the temptation to just start new builds up to the painting stage and then hiding them away.

Since it is at the top of the stash, I've decided to try to kick-start the mojo by progressing the Objekt 279. It shouldn't really need much to finish as all the major assemblies are done. I need to replace a broken track pin, give everything an all over coat of Russian Green, add another layer of Iron to the tracks and then put everything together. Still debating whether to replace the 14.5mm MG with an aftermarket barrel and/or to include a commander figure in the turret.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Will be good to see this one progress again, Simon.

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Yes, get stuck in, Simon, I look forward to seeing your continued efforts with the Objekt. I know we're in the armour section but it's great to see that classic Airfix Stirling and the kit is the only one of Airfix's classic four-engine heavy bomber range that I've never built.

IPMS#12300
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

JamesPerrin wrote:Great I was wondering what happened to this beast. Glad to hear things have settled for you.
I refer you to my previous comment ;-)
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

JamesPerrin wrote:
JamesPerrin wrote:Great I was wondering what happened to this beast. Glad to hear things have settled for you.
I refer you to my previous comment ;-)
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Previously on Objekt 279...

This was an acquisition from the beginning of 2014. I resolved to start and finish it.

Two years later, I pulled it out and resolved to finish it.

Two nights ago, I pulled it out of the started stash – and resolved to finish it…

It seems to have survived its five years in the box and three house moves relatively unscathed.
During the big building phase in 2014, I gave it an initial dusting of Tamiya Russian Green. Not sure why I didn’t give it an overall coat…maybe ran out of the colour or simply didn’t like it. I remember at the time being underwhelmed by its appearance but and since changed my tune on that one and Tamiya Russian Green will probably be my go to for 50s Russian armour.
The crappy paint job is clear here however the shadows are good indicators of where minor detail has come away in the box.
Sorry for the crappy image quality. I did buy a proper camera a couple of years ago and need to dig in out for detail shots like this. These squiggle are very fine PE detail that came away in the box and that were rattling around in the box. I need to relocate my CA glue to re-attach these to the turret.
Some of the other loose detail parts.

I had been hunting for a suitable figure for the commander’s hatch which I had though I had built openable. Last night I tried to open the hatch, with a little force because it was tight. No, it was actually glued closed. Not sure how this happened as, once the hinges snapped away, I could see that I had inserted a brass pin as a hinge for the hatch. I think it will stay closed once repaired as there is no detail on the inside of the hatch less the incomplete viewing blocks.
I hand-brushed the tracks with Gunze Burnt Iron but the cover is too thin and the brown plastic still shows through clearly, espacilly through the lens, looks a lot iron-y to the naked eye. Kinks in the tracks are where track pins have failed and need to be replaced. The kit comes with lots of spare pins.
The undercarriage. That some parts are painted and some are not leads me to believe I may have run out of the original colour. All undercarriage parts are present and accounted for.

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”