Tamiya 1/35th Abrams MBT, Bradley IFV and Ford MUTT FINISHED

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Tamiya 1/35th Abrams MBT, Bradley IFV and Ford MUTT FINISHED

Post by ShaunW »

These models are the latest subjects on the workbench and I have commenced documenting their progress on my Workbench Window thread already. It has since dawned on me that a lot of you fellow treadheads don't visit the WW section regularly so I thought I would double up in this section of the forum as well. I have an equal interest in building aircraft and like to use the WW section to keep my builds more or less together.

These three models were initially put together in the late 80's and have since been gathering plenty of dust. I have recently renewed my interest in small scale Matchbox armour subjects (more builds will hopefully follow soon) and after my recent yearly trip to the Telford show I thought I would resurrect these three as part of my contribution to the Cold War SIG of which I am a member, after chatting to the new SIG Leader.

Here's what I started with, a trio of proper dust magnets:

The models were carefully washed with warm soapy water and allowed to air dry. The Bradley needed the most work as a number of major assemblies had not been fitted although I had given the model a coat of Olive Drab paint - why I did that is long erased from my memory!

As you can see, a number of parts were fitted, including the front swimming panel that is raised along with side screens when the vehicle is being used in the water - this model represents an early Bradley and this function was deleted on later versions of the vehicle. The panel has been backed with Verlinden mesh, which is considerably finer that the black mesh that came with the kit. After studying various online photos of early Bradleys, it became apparent that a number of grab handles along the sides of the vehicle had not been supplied by Tamiya. For a change I decided to use 0.5mm Plastruct rod to make the handles rather than the brass wire that I normally use, which made the job of bending and fitting a little easier although the handles will be more delicate and susceptible to damage than ones made out of brass. The plastic rod was carefully bent in the jaws of a small pair of needle-nosed pliers and fixed with liquid cement into pre-drilled holes. The number and placement of these handles seems to vary amongst vehicles, which has led me to suspect that they are a divisional depot fit rather than a factory fit. Naturally, I could be wrong :grin: I have gone for a generic look so far as placement and number are concerned.

Next up, I turned my attention to the Abrams, which required a little less work. The weird and wonderful looking paint scheme on this model is the result of it having served time as an airbrush queen for other builds i.e. it was used as a test bed for airbrush techniques. I elected to close the turret hatches and added replacement handles to the turret side storage bin lids and loader's (?) hatch again using Plastruct rod. I also repaired the loader's machine gun with a replacement barrel end from an M-60 machine gun out of Tamiya's modern U.S. accessories set that I bought at around the same time as the models. Firing grips were also added using scrap plastic card and rod.

At the turret front, I drilled out the tube thingy next to the main gun - I suspect this is some kind of sensor device on the full size but, whatever, it shouldn't be solid as per the kit part.

Easiest of the trio to get ready was the Ford MUTT. Basically all I have done is to carefully remove the windscreen surround from the bonnet (hood) and the clear windscreen part from the surround to save having to mask it. The windscreen surround has been placed back on to the model here just for the purpose of the photo.

Then it was on with the first of the new paint. I am aiming to finish all three models in a four-colour MERDC (?) scheme. I have used Tamiya acrylics, all applied by airbrush. Base coat is XF-64 Red Brown, lightened with a couple of drops of matt white as per Tamiya's instructions, followed by a disruptive coat of quite heavily thinned XF-58 Olive Green, which was sprayed freehand.

Abrams:

Bradley:

Ford MUTT:

And that's where I'm up to at the moment. Later today I am going to commence applying the next colours, which consist of narrower stripes of black (I will probably use NATO Black) and a mix of sand and white.

Thanks for looking.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Re: Tamiya 1/35th Abrams MBT, Bradley IFV and Ford MUTT refu

Post by ntrocket88 »

Very nice work on the camo Shaun. I look forward to seeing how these turn out.
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very nice Shaun - they are looking good.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TobyC »

Shaun, you could start a war with that lot. Nice work.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks for your interest boys. I have been airbrushing like nobody's business and have almost completed the initial colour schemes. Pics to follow tomorrow hopefully.

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

And here are the final schemes. I originally intended to present all three models in the same type of four-colour MERDC scheme, but it didn't quite work out that way and I decided instead to present them in three different schemes, typical of the Cold War period.

First up is the Bradley. The intended scheme worked quite well on this so I stayed with it. Onto the Olive Green/Red Brown base colours, I free hand sprayed Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow, lightened with a little matt white and XF-69 NATO Black:

I wasn't entirely happy with the results of the same scheme on the Abrams and initially thought about trying again. However, after seeing some pics of early Abrams tanks in temporary winter paint I decided to give that a go as I don't have a winter camouflaged tank in my collection. I repainted the model in overall XF-58 Olive Green then applied a rough overspray of Tamiya matt white, free hand. The white will be toned down with weathering in due course.

Similarly, I wasn't happy with the finish on the MUTT either, so that also received a repaint in overall plain Jane XF-58 Olive Green. I also dug out an old Tamiya trailer for a Willy's Jeep and although this is of World War II vintage, I believe these trailers soldiered on long after that conflict. The trailer needs a repair on the front end so that it can be attached to the vehicle and was also repainted in XF-58. I have started the detail painting on this model with the tyres receiving a coat of NATO Black. The monotone scheme should come to life better with weathering and dry brushing.

There's quite a bit of detail painting to be done now on all three models before the decals (not many between them) and the weathering - which is my favourite part of military vehicle modelling.

Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Nice work they look great.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking really good!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Titan

Post by Titan »

They all look good Shaun, I like your extra work on the Bradley...non to shabby at all.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks for your comments and interest boys, it's always very much appreciated.

IPMS#12300
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

Looking good!
Best from Ivan
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Cheers Ivan. It will probably be the weekend before I next get a chance to do any more painting on this trio though.

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I like what you've done with these Shaun. I rarely revisit old models except maybe as test beds for new paint or techniques, and then exclusively just aircraft, but seeing how these armour models have turned out I've been casting an eye over a couple hiding in the loft :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

A very nice trio Shaun, with three different schemes too. very nice.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Cheers boys.

I do occasionally revisit older builds Darryl and the slog with that Airfix Lancaster put me in the frame of mind for trying something a little easier, so I revisited my part-built Matchbox Sherman Firefly at the start of the month and seeing as this trio was nearly built........

IPMS#12300

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”