BRDM-2 Konkurs by gnomemeansgnome

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

BRDM-2 Konkurs by gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

'ACE Models' kit from Ukraine in mighty Braille Scale. Bought it over two years ago and it took me that long to work up the nerve and the patience to build it. Instructions were vague at best and most likely cobbled together under the influence. The dodgy plastic repeatedly resisted both paint and glue but I finally won it over. I didn't realise until it was too late to scrape off the sponsons on either side of the hull so there was not nearly enough room for Soviet markings. Still needs a rearview mirror but I consider it DNF for now. It's my 12th build of the year so I mustn't grumble too much, and BRDM kits in 72nd scale are hard to come by here in the Great White North. My apologies for the picture quality, as my camera is a battery pig and gets testy when it is hungry. Behold!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gnomemean ... ed-public/;
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
general rocket

Re: BRDM-2 Konkurs by gnomemeansgnome

Post by general rocket »

You sir, are evidently a model of perseverance!
I am familiar with the vagaries involved in building Ace models.
What sort of whip or blunt instrument did you use to beat it into submission?
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
gnomemeansgnome

Ha ha! I knew you would be first to respond. I had to take a fairly holistic approach here. Whenever this build started to grate on my nerves I would simply stop working on it and focus on other matters, sometimes for days if necessary. You had to deal with the PT76's tracks, whereas I had a set of nice rubber tires with decent looking tread to boot. They were about the only thing I liked about the kit. When I finally managed to slash and sand and fill and bludgeon my way through the hull assembly the rest was fairly easy.....ish. The ATGW tubes refused to acknowledge the existence of glue, as did the wheels which all must have fallen off at least three times each. Also I really tempted fate by using enamel paint (Testor's Modelmaster Russian Armour Green) for the first time in over 30 years, as no acrylic version was available to me. The slow drying nature of that foul mixture took about a week till I felt comfortable to continue, which I really think helped a lot as well. As soon as I can replace my ravenous camera's batteries I will post better pics.
Ego no habeo consilium.

celt

Post by celt »

There is something about Russian armour thats unlike any other.
gnomemeansgnome

There certainly is, and I think that is what drew me to this kit, despite its flaws.
Ego no habeo consilium.

general rocket

Post by general rocket »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:There certainly is, and I think that is what drew me to this kit, despite its flaws.
I can go along with that!
I wish, that I knew what was doing!

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”