Eastern Express 1/72 T-34 Model 1942

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Eastern Express 1/72 T-34 Model 1942

Post by BWP »

This is a kit that I was working on along with the Panthers and like them was largely completed and then sat in a box during my hiatus. It nears completion now with the paint job almost finished, I thought I'd do a short build summary of it here.

In the box it all looks nice enough, the plastic is quite soft, comes in a couple of different colours (I don't know if that's deliberate or just a consequence of the short-run nature of the production) and has a fair amount of flash.

The level of detail is not up to the level of, say, a Dragon or Trumpeter kit, but it's better than the old ESCI kit, and dimensionally it's pretty good. The kit is identified as a "Model 1942" by which it means a hexagonal turret with no commander's cupola. Looking through my references and available decals, I decided to build a vehicle depicted in the Concord book Soviet Tanks in Combat 1941-1945 (Zaloga et al) which is identified as a Model 1943 of the 30th Guards Tank Brigade. Well, I don't know why they say it's a Model 1943, because it doesn't have a cupola and looks pretty much identical to the kit here. The only significant changes I needed to make were to add the rear box fuel tanks that the kit doesn't provide, and replace the solid dish wheels of the kit (which are not very well depicted any way) with the pierced-steel-rimmed wheels visible in the photo. Fortunately I had fuel tanks left over from a previous ESCI kit build, and I stole the wheels from one of the Dragon kits -- which are mostly excellent depictions, let down only by Dragon's inability to mould the wheels with holes in them. It's easy enough to drill out the holes myself, but it's a tedious task. (Why Dragon couldn't take the extra step of moulding the wheels with the holes already present I'll never understand, every other 1/72 and 1/76 kit with this style of wheel -- including kits from over thirty years ago -- is able to manage it.)

The markings for the vehicle I will depict are available in one of the many Dragon kits (but in keeping with Dragon's "every other day we're incredibly sloppy" philosophy, almost certainly not one of the kits that could be used to build this particular vehicle!).

The decal sheet that comes with the kit is shared with their Model 1943 kit and is just a miscellaneous collection of T-34 markings that aren't really identified in any way.

The final parts of the puzzle are replacing the gun barrel with the excellent Aber aluminium part, and as I had an ExtraTech PE set for this kit available I decided to use that as well. There's more PE in the set than is really practical to use, but the parts I did want to use add some very nice detail.

First step was to prepare the wheels -- shown here with the holes drilled and some attachment points added so the wheels would fit properly onto the EE hull. The fuel tanks were also assembled.

Assembly of the hull began with adding some PE.

Then the lower hull was put together. As you can see there are a few nasty gaps and sink holes that need filling ....

... but not nearly as nasty as the gaps that presented themselves when I went to put the two halves of the hull together!

This was very disappointing, since the kit seemed so nice otherwise. I have a few of these in the stash, I really hope this problem was a one-off (but I doubt it). Oh well, time to break out the modelling skills and start filling gaps with whatever would plug those holes. For the huge gap in the nose, it was a chunk of thick scrap sprue shaped to fit. The rest was plastic card.

Once that was done, the rest of the build was pretty straight-forward.

That's as far as I got when I put the kit away. Once I pulled it out again, the next step was to apply the tracks. These were actually very nicely depicted, and unlike all the other plastic in the kit, virtually flash-free. Assembly was mostly straight-forward, I had some issues because the wheels were not really in the positions on the hull that they were supposed to be, and my improvised mounting points were not very strong -- I ended up having to re-sit a lot of the wheels and use super-glue to hold them in place. I think if you used the kit wheels the tracks would fit the finished model a little better than they do here. Still, I am satisfied with the end result.

All building done, the kit is being painted, as I say above, that's almost done (no photos I'm afraid). I hope to get it finished within a few days at most, maybe even by tomorrow if things go well. Then I can concentrate fully on the F-104 ....
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
Chris
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Eastern Express 1/72 T-34 Model 1942

Post by Chris »

Good start.
Honcho of ASMMF
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

Excellent work on this Bruce. The PE parts really brings the grills to life. The tracks look excellent. Worth getting the kit just for them! Looking forward to seeing this finished. I wonder how out of place this 1/72 turret would look on an Airfix T34... hmmm...
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good work on this Bruce, very worthwhile fitting the etched parts and the replacement gun barrel. The poor fit is very reminiscent of the 1/35th Zvezda (in an Italeri boxing) SU-100 that I finished last month.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Thanks chaps. The kit has been painted, decals applied, and weathered -- just need to apply the final overall matt varnish coat and then get the photos taken.

Neil, I don't think a 1/72 turret would look very good on a 1/76 hull ... the dimensions are going to be out by a couple of mm in all three dimensions, and I fear the overall effect would be to make it look quite weird -- a "big head, little body" effect.

I was wondering why you would even bother, until I remembered that not one of the four 1/76 T-34 kits offers a hexagonal turret. So far as I'm aware Milicast resin kits are the only game in town in that scale.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
My Model Profile
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

BWP wrote:Neil, I don't think a 1/72 turret would look very good on a 1/76 hull ... the dimensions are going to be out by a couple of mm in all three dimensions, and I fear the overall effect would be to make it look quite weird -- a "big head, little body" effect.

I was wondering why you would even bother, until I remembered that not one of the four 1/76 T-34 kits offers a hexagonal turret. So far as I'm aware Milicast resin kits are the only game in town in that scale.
Sigh, you are no doubt right. The thought of buying fifteen or so Milicast versions though...
Neil

BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

And here she is ....

I'm pretty pleased with the end result.

The vehicle was first painted all over with one of the LifeColor 4BO shades, and then over-painted roughly in Matt White. Sealed with Future, decals applied, a thin black ink wash applied overall, sealed with matt varnish and finally a light dusting of snow (white pastel chalk) over the wheels and tracks.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
My Model Profile
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Hey Bruce, that's cool. I have an SPG based on the same kit, and I'll be using your notes when I get around to building it.

Do you know if the markings on these tanks were painted over the whitewash, or was the whitewash painted around them?
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

I wouldn't want to imply any hard-and-fast rule, but the photos I've had a quick look at indicate that in those cases where a white-washed vehicle had markings as well (as I'm sure you know, many T-34s had no markings at all until later in the war), the markings appeared to have been freshly-applied over the whitewash. It's certainly the case in the photo I have of this vehicle.

I don't know if they repainted the markings when they removed the white-wash. I can't imagine that there was any "fixed" way of doing it, you'd have to work with your references for any particular vehicle.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
My Model Profile
Chris

Post by Chris »

Looks really good.
Honcho of ASMMF
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one Bruce, that is a very good looking T-34 - you've made a very good job of the winter camo.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

Nice build, I especially like the white washed winter camo look.
Best from Ivan
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

That really came out well Bruce. The winter whitewash effect looks superb! The slogan decal really brings it to life and blended in really well, without any tell-tale edges. Great work.
Neil

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”