Marky's Swiftsure conversion (attempt)

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's Swiftsure conversion (attempt)

Post by MarkyM607 »

This is my attempt at converting the Airfix Trafalgar Class sub in 1/350th, into a Swiftsure Class, the type that preceeded it. Although I know there are probably better experts on this than me, this is my effort so far.
As far as I can find, the Swiftsure was 8 feet shorter than the Trafalgar's but shared a similar hull. The island/sail on top is smaller and further back than the latter class so that will need to be attended to. I have cut the required (? my determination) 6.7mm from the single piece top hull part. The lower hull annoyingly comes in two parts!. I have therefore glue the now two part top hull to it's normal position on the lower hull. This seemed a better idea for sawing the lower hull. I do now have a small mitre/miter box which allowed me to cut a massively better (and straight) cut on the upper hull.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Marky's Swiftsure conversion (attempt)

Post by ShaunW »

I know next to nothing about subs Mark but I do like to see a bit of brave conversion work. Good stuff!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks Shaun. Sped along a bit since the last pic. Not much to subs so once the hulls were cut it was fairly rapid progress. It is a bit if a 'cut and shut' but the mitre box really helps with straight cutting. Hull is together and new, smaller (and further back) sail/island/conning tower is on. Painted her black this morning..
Apparently the two classes (Swiftsure and Trafalgar), are 'virtually indistinguishable externally' so there isn't much modelling to make them look distinct from each other. I tried measuring the Swiftsure and came up with a scale measurement of 271ft, the real thing was 272ft!!. So I've lost a foot somewhere but it's a tiny amount int his scale, therefore if they don't spot it i won't tell them!!.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Nice work Mark, what colour black do you use (note to myself that sounds like a stupid question :lol: but I will ask it anyway :shock: )

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

splash wrote:Nice work Mark, what colour black do you use (note to myself that sounds like a stupid question :lol: but I will ask it anyway :shock: )

Regards Splash
It's good old Humbrol 33 Matt Black, usually the one I go for, although I do use Games Workshop Abbadon Black as it gives a good contrast on small areas.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I think black must be one of the hardest colours to get right that's why I have never attempted to build a sub.

I like the look of your two subs so I might just try one someday.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

They both look good to me.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks chaps!, it is a minimal change conversion so I'm not sure I've got everything right, sub information tends to be hard to get hold of as you might expect. As far as black goes I usually spray if I have a rattle can or use generous amounts with a hairy stick, it allows the paint to spread on it own a little more. Plus newer paint that is quite thin. :grin:
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Excellent work Marky and a great way to add something different to the collection.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Dazzled wrote:Excellent work Marky and a great way to add something different to the collection.
Thank you. It was the one class of UK sub I couldn't seem to find anywhere. Plus it REALLY helped having the Swiftsure and Trafalgar related so to speak. It does look just different enough from the Trafalgar to stand on it's own. :grin:
Don't know why I've gone so Submarine mad lately, hope it's nothing freudian (is that the right term). Covered most of the UK classes now, Vanguard, Astute, Trafalgar and Swiftsure (1/350th), Oberon, Resolution, Vanguard, Churchill/Valiant, Trafalgar,Astute, Upholder (1/700th).
P.S. The Vanguard in 1/350th is HUGE, about 43cm, well worth getting as I think it's about £11 in places.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent, the Swifty turned out very well Mark.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks!. Always open to improving the result with more info but enjoyed the build and the result!.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've gone a little the same way with submarines. I recently built the USS George Washington Polaris sub and acquired the HobbyBoss Typhoon class which I'm itching to start. I even went on board a Soviet Foxtrot sub in Zeebrugge harbour a few weeks ago.

I hope it's nothing Freudian too :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Dazzled wrote:I've gone a little the same way with submarines. I recently built the USS George Washington Polaris sub and acquired the HobbyBoss Typhoon class which I'm itching to start. I even went on board a Soviet Foxtrot sub in Zeebrugge harbour a few weeks ago.

I hope it's nothing Freudian too :roll:
Sounds like fun!. The Typhoon is a big beast even in 1/700. With the island/sail so far back it makes you think the Captain would be sitting at the top using a quote from the Godfather (if that's the right film!).
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It's even bigger in 1/350th. ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”