A rail car interior ** Finished **

Welcome to UAMF's first ever Paper Model GB - Origami are us.
Runs November 12th to December 24th. Your GBL is SJPONeill.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

A rail car interior ** Finished **

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This grew out a discussion of Beany's project and the fact I had started had started a build of an Airfix engine and the Kitmaster coach line, with Peco interiors, several years ago .... then the project died. I tried using Airfix Rail Acrylics and made a mess of the 1st coach I worked on.

Fast forward to our discussion about what this GB is trying to illustrate and both Simon & Beany urged my to bring our the Peco interior. I dug back into my project box and figured that perhaps I could save my coach, but regardless, I was at a point of building the Peco interior on it's own floor so it could drop into the coach as a whole.

So, off we go. Here is the Peco part sheet.

Most of the parts must be cut on outline but many of the doors and windows have been pre-cut and only need careful scoring and punch-out to remove.

So, I'll start the interior and spend some time getting the coach kit ready to accept it. I spent a few hours with some sanding pads to get most the brush marks out without damaging anything, so all I need to do is repaint the gold/brass detail then I can go back to assembling the body so it will be ready for the interior.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: A rail car interior

Post by splash »

This looks like an interesting build, looking at the kit I have a couple of questions about the design,

1) As its for a rail carriage that can only be viewed at 90 degrees from the side through the windows, why have they made the sitting passengers flat and not side profile in a seated position?

2) why have they detailed the toilet/wash room when the trains had smoked glass so you cant see in?

I remember these interiors when I had a train set but never built one, good luck.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

Now that we've seen the parts, John, I think you've made the right decision including this in the GB...it is most definitely a kit in its own right (IMHO) and it will be most interesting watching it come together...

WRT Splash's first question, if this was installed into a carriage for a working model railway setup, you would generally look into the carriages as they approach and then move away from you so it may be that the flat profile best gives the illusion of occupation.

And on 'occupation', this wouldn't be the first model with a detailed but invisible 'facility'...the AM B-25 even came with reading material...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

SJPONeill wrote:WRT Splash's first question, if this was installed into a carriage for a working model railway setup, you would generally look into the carriages as they approach and then move away from you so it may be that the flat profile best gives the illusion of occupation.
That makes total sense, I can see how that works.

I agree when you say this is a kit in its own right.

Regards Splash
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Can't answer on the people, but I may have a set of HO figures I can use. The instructions are to cut the figures then fold to sit in the seats; part of them would be hidden behind the window framing & all ... I don't believe we are supposed to overthink this, just enjoy watching the trains go around ....

One can leave the top unglued to be able to see all the detail. We won't overly analyze looking into the toilet .... And the kit does include magazines (bottom left corner of the sheet) ....
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

jRatz wrote: I don't believe we are supposed to overthink this, just enjoy watching the trains go around .
I sometimes forget that, the books and magazines are a nice touch.

The PECO factory is only 20 miles from me down in Beer in Dorset they have a train centre with a large display and outside they have a miniature steam railway you can ride on, its a nice day out if you ever finish up in Devon. Here is a link to their website. sadly I don't think they make the card interior kits anymore.

Regards Splash
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Here we go.

First thing I did was cut the passenger compartment walls (corridor side & inside) and match them up. The windows are opened up and I slide some .005" clear sheet inside - don't ask why I all of a sudden got AMS. Anyway, here all that is, glued to the base.

By the instructions, I should have put seats and such into the passenger compartment, but I decide to do the rest of the main walls instead. That proved a good idea as I got a bit confused with the instructions - there are not many in progress pix to guide one along.

I finally figured it all out by clipping parts until they fit right. There's a tricky bend on the outer baggage wall at the guard compartment that threw me for a bit.

Now I've got it apart and the interior/exterior of the guard compartment glued together, with more clear sheet for the door windows.

Should be able to finish the interior walls tomorrow and go back to the passenger compartments. Meanwhile I think I'm ready to put a semi-gloss or maybe satin on the car walls and roof and start putting in the glass. For those concerned about the 'loo, I am instructed to frost that glass. :grin:
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Looking good,
Tthat type of carriage brings back memories of my youth.

Regards Splash
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Wow - looking good. I think I'd immediately get all AMS if I was doing that and replace the red hatching with actual metal mesh, but only because I remember many commutes home on crowded trains having to stand in the guards van with the bikes and other luggage. You realise you'll need a whole rake of these John, one isn't going to be enough!
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

You are right Al, and it probably wouldn't be difficult (particularly if I suppressed the urge to do working sliding doors and such), but I think we'll get through this in card.

I do have the four Kitmaster coaches (Corridor 2nd, Corr Brake 2nd, Corr Composite, and Restaurant/1st) and Peco interiors for all but the Restaurant/1st but it has its own interior. Peco has two interiors for the Corr 2nd - the 2nd and an Open, so I can do 5 different coaches, and I have more than one of each, so I'm well set to try again with a "superdetail".
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

My memory is a bit fuzzy as it was so long ago, but did the guards department have windows?

I remember the wire mesh and bikes, plus piles of daily papers, when we travelled on the very early morning paper/milk train from Waterloo to Yeovil, when returning from RN leave and stopping at every minor stop on route to drop of the papers.

Regards Splash
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

splash wrote:My memory is a bit fuzzy as it was so long ago, but did the guards department have windows?
That rather depends on exactly which item of coaching stock you are thinking of Splash. :ha: The ones I remember had one or two windows - I remember standing up in the crush load and leaning towards the window to get enough light to ready my book/magazine at the time!

This picture here (if the link works) shows some gorgeous dedicated Southern luggage vans in the Passenger Coach Packs window. I'm not old enough to be a Southern Railways man, but am definitively a product of the Southern Region of British Rail - 37 years man and boy and counting.

http://www.hornby.com/wagons-coaches.html?___SID=U;

Other Southern stock like the one(s) I think John is building...
http://www.hornby.com/wagons-coaches/pa ... brake.html;

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers Al

That brings back the memories :-D I was born in 1953 in Folkestone Kent so defiantly a Southern Region man :ha:

Regards Splash
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The one problem I discovered today (been staring at me, I just didn't see it) was that there are no card parts for the inside of the car walls -- all I have is unpainted plastic. And no instructions on painting them either. :evil:

I am going to follow the wood motif, probably not the same shade, but better than unpainted green plastic ... unless of course someone has another idea given al the nostalgia I've unleashed here :)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Does this link help? http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/blueb ... /3687.html

Regards Splash

Return to “Paper Models GB”