Sign-up and Chat

The one you have all been waiting for - Vac(u)-formed kits. Any subject, any kit, so long as the basis of the kit is vac-form (no, you can't enter an injection airplane with a vac-canopy). Started kits are eligible, within reason - this is a learning GB to introduce members the variety of kits, what can be accomplished with them, and to overcome any reluctance to add them to your modeling repertoire.
This is an extended GB, running 4 April to 31 May, and your hosts are Lancfan, SJPONeill, and Splash.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by fredk »

Sometimes, tanks/AFVs, ships and cars.
Mostly these are just the main body shell and a different i/p kit supplies the running gear and details.

I remember seeing some Sci-Fi spaceships, from 1940s/50s films.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Other than some diorama bases and buildings, I have only seen a few, very old Armour vac models....
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
vacant

Post by vacant »

The 'Raretanks' series, produced by Rareplanes, produced a small number of vacformed tanks. I have, for example, the Somua S-35 in 1/76 scale from this series. Only 500 of this kit were produced. I wonder how many were built.
vacant

Post by vacant »

This is the vacform Somua tank by Raretanks. It was built by a Belgian modeller in 1973.

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Thats really nice vacant - so I'll need to keep my eye out!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Sir T wrote:I know this is a daft question - but do you Vac-form kits in any other genre other than Aircraft?

I have to say I haven't found any but I was just interested if anyone knows!
I have a vacform of the Icarus spaceship from the original Planet of the Apes in the stash. It seems resins have taken the place of vacforms. Is anybody still issuing new releases in vacforms?

David
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I think I'll have a go at this GB too. I'll build a very simple Airframe 1/72 MB2.

David
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

dwomby wrote: Is anybody still issuing new releases in vacforms?

David
Not sure about new releases but to the best of my knowledge there are still companies like Danger, Aircraft in Miniature, Air model, Tigger, and Execuform producing vacform models...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
TomW

Post by TomW »

I believe Broplan still produce new masters but they aren't the easiest kits to get hold of, which is a shame as they are very good quality.

Just to show that I haven't completely lost the plot by attempting the Fiddler here it is next to the largest vacform in my stash:

That's the Airmodel Mil-6 in 1/72 and it is a real monster :shock: , Sanger produce the Mil-10 which is the flying crane version and I'd love to get hold of one someday.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

SJPONeill wrote:
dwomby wrote: Is anybody still issuing new releases in vacforms?

David
Not sure about new releases but to the best of my knowledge there are still companies like Danger, Aircraft in Miniature, Air model, Tigger, and Execuform producing vacform models...
Khee Kha too: http://www.mtaonline.net/~zdk/;
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

To remind everyone, there are just two weeks left!

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

I'm hoping to have the F.III finished by the end of the week. The Condor will be a struggle. Probably bit off more than I could chew with that one, particularly with what life has thrown at me over the last few weeks.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I have been watching the valiant Vac-formers with interest. Always a media that frightens me!!. I have built (average finish), the ID/Delta Models C-5 Galaxy in 1/72nd!! :shock: . Probably not the best for my first vac-form. Also built the Merlin Models P.1 which had a vac fuselage.
Now I'm being brave again after seeing this GB. I have the Welsh Models Belfast which I bought after conceding that the £75 resin Anigrand one was just out of my budget. So far most parts are cut out.
Question:- Do I sand down to the black pen line I drew around the parts?, don't want to take off too much.
Thanks for letting me ramble a little. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:So far most parts are cut out.
Question:- Do I sand down to the black pen line I drew around the parts?, don't want to take off too much.
That depends on how the parts look now. If you cut very close to the actual parts, then yes, that's your target.
If there is still a margin of 1mm or more around the parts, leave that margin on, and sand from below until it comes loose (the line will become very hard to see, a rim of plastic won't). This will not happen evenly around the part, so you'll have to use sanding sticks instead of a sanding board from the moment the first area starts to come loose.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

rob_van_riel wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:So far most parts are cut out.
That depends on how the parts look now. If you cut very close to the actual parts, then yes, that's your target.
If there is still a margin of 1mm or more around the parts, leave that margin on, and sand from below until it comes loose (the line will become very hard to see, a rim of plastic won't). This will not happen evenly around the part, so you'll have to use sanding sticks instead of a sanding board from the moment the first area starts to come loose.
Thanks for that Rob. I did cut close to the parts so I think I will sand down to the line!. Thanks. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Vac-form Kits”