Pretty in Pink...A Spitfire Blitz... FINISHED!!

UAMF's signature event, fun for one and all.
Runs 1st to 31st August; your host is Jssel.
airjim
Sprue Teaser

Pretty in Pink...A Spitfire Blitz... FINISHED!!

Post by airjim »

So I've got my flannel shirt on and it is time for a blitz in Seattle. If you don't remember grunge, here is a great introduction:

Oh, you wanted modeling? Ok, I will be building a pink Spitfire IX from the Airfix kit with Barracuda decals. Strictly out of the box...I'm not even going to add seatbelts. Start time with be Noon Pacific Standard time.

Now I hear everyone asking, "Jim, you are building a pink Spitfire...shouldn't you be talking about Molly and 80s music?" So yea, Molly is alright, but I'm not sure I could survive 12 hours of 80s music without wanting to jump out my modeling window and plunge to my death.

I did cheat a little and mixed up a jar of PRU Pink out of some Tamiya Flat White and some Pink yesterday, but that doesn't count right? I'm not quite happy with the color; it still is too white for me. Might add a few more drops of pink. The real subject is pretty white with only a hint of color, but I want my Spit to at least look a tad pink.

We shall see if I can complete this little exercise or if the dreaded AMS will do me in...

Jim
Read my inane modeling writings at:
http://ascalecanadian.com
airjim
Sprue Teaser

Re: Pretty in Pink...A Spitfire Blitz...

Post by airjim »

Hum, why isn't my YouTube link working? Have you all been spared the "Seattle Sound"?

Jim
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I wasn't able to load the youtube link, although I did find it in the source code for your post so it is here. Try again, are you using the youtube tag in the editor with just the 10-character identifier as the argument?

Will be watching this awesome build!

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
airjim
Sprue Teaser

Post by airjim »

My wonderful wife actually read the directions and figured it out. Off to the bench.

Jim
Arcwelder
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Arcwelder »

I'm guessing that's "Talking Seattle Grunge Rock Blues" which is utter genius...
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

"Silence: music's original alternative "

airjim
Sprue Teaser

Post by airjim »

Arcwelder...yes it is and I love that line.

We commence the Blitz with much hope and therefore we need high energy music. So this hour started with Alice...

And a little one hit wonder, Harvey Danger:

Off we go...

We start with the very precious and difficult conversion to the FR. IX. A camera window was drilled.

Wow, I need a nap. But I pressed on.

One hour in and I have all the interior parts cleaned up and the wings together. Hour two will see the abuse of an airbrush to apply the RAF interior green and lunch.

Jim
airjim
Sprue Teaser

Post by airjim »

At 2:30pm, the aforesaid wonderful wife delivered lunch. Grilled cheese filled with prosciutto and sautéed pear. Yummy.

There was no jam included, so it is time for some Pearl Jam. How can you have an aviation modeling thread without posting "Given to Fly"?

Many nice things can be said about the Airfix Spitfire IX, but stunning cockpit detail is not one of them. That looks more like a comfy chair than something that should be in a Spitfire, but I pressed on and continued. Notice, no seatbelts, no instrument panel, and no control column. Lazy modeler...

A test fit showed a pretty poor gap at the wing to fuselage joint, so a spreader bar was added in front of the cockpit. It will still take something to close the gap. More in the next update.

Jim
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Good luck! I'm checking out for the evening, look forward to seeing the progress tomorrow

airjim
Sprue Teaser

Post by airjim »

Slightly after 4pm and all is together. Now to figure out how to fill the wing root gaps. I tried Perfect Plastic Putty on the wings and was slightly surprised. I didn't expect the consistency to be so dry, but with a little water, it smoothed over nicely. Might use it as I'm worried most of my other fillers won't set in time. Otherwise it is just some sanding, the dreaded canopy masking, and then time for Mr. Surfacer. I feel I am actually on track.

To celebrate, some Soundgarden.

And maybe the most overlooked Seattle band...the Screaming Trees:

Jim
airjim
Sprue Teaser

Post by airjim »

A note on my subject. Spitfire MK716 is one of the field modified Spitfire IXs that were fitted with cameras for armed reconnaissance operations. Often used on "Dicer" operations, MK716 is attributed to 16 Squadron. So why would a modeler of RCAF subjects want one in his collection? Well, it is a pink Spitfire after all!

However, there is a potential Canadian connection. "Spitfire: The History" states that MK716 was on strength with 414 Squadron RCAF after conversion into a FR Spit and has no mention at all of 16 Squadron. 414 was a user of the Spitfire FR. IX, but in the standard Spitfire scheme. So, is this a case that the pink Spitfires were flown by Canadians or is the "official" record incorrect? Either way, it is an attractive scheme and more importantly for a blitz, one overall colour.

Jim
dknights
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by dknights »

OK. You've managed to stick a few parts together. Big deal. Now get cracking! Disappointed you aren't cross-posting on 72nd Forum, but glad you've posted here in the land of the original Blitzbau.

Going to use decals for the invasion stripes? Why? Would it take that long to mask and paint?

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Good start, Jim.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
airjim
Sprue Teaser

Post by airjim »

After a dinner of Mr. Surfacer soup it was back to the Spitfire...

The 8pm update was interrupted by a loud call from the PA system saying there was an emergency in the building and please evacuate. Of course, at the time, I was right in the middle of spraying Mr. Surfacer. Thankfully, the emergency was met by many firemen with nothing to do because it was a false alarm.

Now going back in time...

Since the last update, time was spent sanding and filling, with a little self-destruction mixed in. I fitted the antenna mast which split the joint on the top of the fuselage. (I thought I fixed the joint, but the Mr. Surfacer has illustrated that it needs some remedial work.) I'm reminded how much I hate canopy masking and how poor my skills are. I hope when I pull the Maskol off, I will be able to salvage the frames.

Music continued as well. A fewer more somber songs for evening:

Mad Season

Mother Love Bone, which might be the single best Seattle song of the era.

Since it was evening, the beer was broken out. Fremont 77 IPA. In honor of the most progress I've made on a model in one day since I was ten, I opened the Eduard Royal Call Spitfire box and used the beer glass.

The Mr. Surfacer is now drying and I think I am calling it a night.

I leave you with a silly song for bedtime.

Jim
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

A little late to the party Jim but arrived at last. The food, the plastic, the music, the plastic. Oh the humanity. We might have to give you back the evac hours.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale

Return to “Blitzbau XVII”