Rob's 31 *Finished*

Any aircraft from the Mikoyan-Gurevich Design Bureau.
Runs 1st to 31st August; your host id Old_Tonto.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's 31 *Finished*

Post by rob_van_riel »

I'll be in with this chap:

I'm going to assume a waiver for having done a minimal amount of work on the AA-6 missiles prior to GB start; one was used as a basis for conversion to AA-5 earlier on, and as a result the AA-6s will be replaced with resin copies.

I have some hopes this kit will prove simple enough to complete withing the allotted time without going into obsessive mode over it (no time for that, unfortunately). If it puts up any kind of fight, a DNF is likely though :sad:
Old_Tonto

Re: Rob's 31

Post by Old_Tonto »

Now that looks like a nice kit of a Foxhound. It's a big brute isn't it? :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Old_Tonto wrote:Now that looks like a nice kit of a Foxhound.
It does. Basic, in some areas, but nicely moulded. The big question is going to be fit. If all goes according to plan, I should start to get a feel for that very soon.
It's a big brute isn't it? :lol:
Yup. Since I'll be building this as an operational (and thus, overall grey) machine, this is definately going to be what I've heard referred to as a BGA, although in this case the B might stand for either Boring, Big, or Brutish, or any combination desired.
Joking aside, I was surprised by the size myself.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

IT's big, but it's a great aircraft!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I've made a modest start on this kit, and initial dry fitting suggests fit will be OK, but with some gaps needing filler. Nothing to worry about.
I've also run into the first quirk of the kit: the main undercarriage legs are supposed to be trapped between the fuselage shell and the wheel well. This has the advantage of being a fairly sturdy way of connecting things, but it also means the legs (or at least part of them) are going to be sticking out in a very vulnerable way throughout the entire build. It also means I'll have to paint these bits sooner than expected, which will delay the actual construction.
The wheel wells themselves have enough detail in them to look acceptable (the AMS crowd will certainly disagree with this). Unfortunately, they're also peppered with ejector marks, so I'll have to spend some time cleaning up before painting.
I also threw some initial colour at the crew figures, which I'll be using to make the cockpits a bit less empty.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Usually builds like this start relatively slowly with interior work, but this kit has only minimal interior details, and what is there, is easily accessible through the canopy opening. That's a good thing, as it enabled me to skip the slow start and go straight to coarse construction. Just some tail surfaces to go, and the main parts will be in place.

One of the reasons this initial burst of speed makes me happy, is that there's going to be quite a bit of work around the various seams to be done, and this way, I can start that about a week sooner. First priority will be to clean up the sides of the front fuselage (still attached with tape here), so it can be permanently attached to the rear, which will finish the lining up of the upper and lower decks. Only then will I be able to get to work with filler and sandpaper on the joins of the rear.

The rear half is a bit of a jigsaw. It consists of top, bottom, side panels (which include the wheel wells and one side of the air intakes) and the single piece wing. All but the top have to be juggled into position before glueing things up in segments, so once again I found myself wishing I had just a bit more in common with an octopus. After that, the top goes on, but this leaves the front end only roughly aligned. The front hull and the air intake assemblies will be needed to get everything lined up permanently.

The undercarriage is cleverly designed, but execution leaves something to be desired. With the design as it is, near perfect fit is required, and unfortunately, the dimensions of the various locator pins and holes don't match all the precisely. Especially annoying when widening a hole means breaking through the surrounding material, and evenly reducing the size of the pin rather beyond my skills with a file :frown:
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Sounds like a great deal of fun...not!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Sir T wrote:Sounds like a great deal of fun...not!
It's called a "challenge". Rumour has it we enjoy those :???:

I'm actually quite happy with the kit so far; minor niggles like these are to be expected and part of the fun.
Marek

Post by Marek »

You are right, they are expected. Zvezda's kits are still light years ahead of what they had produced in eighties :)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Marek wrote:Zvezda's kits are still light years ahead of what they had produced in eighties :)
Brrrr...don't remind me...more like "hint for scratchbuilding" than kits...
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I goofed :oops:

There's supposed to be some weight in the nose to avoid a tailsitter. I was so busy figuring out how much of the cockpit I could get in after closing the forward part of the fuselage, that I completely forgot about that. A quick check with the major parts roughly in place show that the 7 gram specified was probably on the conservative side, and I had zero in there :sad:

Fortunately, there's a recess just in front of the nose wheel for some (retractable?) gadget, which as near as I can tall usually sits completly at the bottom of it's well. That means the bottom of the well will be covered by the gadget, which gave me room to drill a largish hole through the plastic there. I poured in fine lead shot followed by a generous dose of CA glue. This will take some time to set (not much ventilation left for the glue to work with), but I'm confident the weight problem is solved.

If legalities allow, a supply the finest lead shot for shotguns is something I highly recommend adding to your arsenal (sorry, couldn't resist).
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

rob_van_riel wrote:I goofed :oops:

There's supposed to be some weight in the nose to avoid a tailsitter. I was so busy figuring out how much of the cockpit I could get in after closing the forward part of the fuselage, that I completely forgot about that. A quick check with the major parts roughly in place show that the 7 gram specified was probably on the conservative side, and I had zero in there :sad:
NUTS. :twisted:
I think I just did the same with my MiG-21! Do you think a 21 will need nose weight?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Old_Tonto wrote:I think I just did the same with my MiG-21! Do you think a 21 will need nose weight?
Beats me. I can't see any indications of it on the scans of your instruction sheet. My experience with MiG-21 is limited to a Matchbox one I built 35 years or so ago. I don't remember that as a tailsitter, but then, I don't think I cared enough back than for a tailsitter to be considered relevant, and memories that old tend to be inaccurate anyway..
There must be someone here who knows though.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Old_Tonto wrote:
rob_van_riel wrote:I goofed :oops:

NUTS. :twisted:
I think I just did the same with my MiG-21! Do you think a 21 will need nose weight?

Yes!
Get some lead in there OT.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Nice looking build so far..

Return to “MiG Aircraft GB”