The silliest modelling confession

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: The silliest modelling confession

Post by JamesPerrin »

Prisca wrote:Ok, we're all dying to know, which ship?! :mrgreen:
Combrig's 1/700 HMS Canada on which my great grandfather served.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
GeorgeSweety
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by GeorgeSweety »

JamesPerrin wrote:Bought an Airfix BR Mogul train at a show had the box opened so I could check the parts. Got home and realised there were no wheels!
I found an Airfix Arado floatplane at a car boot sale for £1, bargain I thought! I asked the seller if it was complete as the box was taped shut, he said "Oh yes, most definitely!". I should have checked, when I opened the box at home it contained the empty sprues and the assembled floats and nothing else! :evil: The guy seemed so genuine!
Brute force and ignorance wins every time.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Along that line, I stumbled into a shop at the end of dark lonely street one afternoon and it was full of models. I had just joined my local band of pirates and wanted to score a good kit. I found the Smer/Artiplast 1/48 Walrus for $25.00USD. The man told me that is was a "collectible" and out of production. I bought it and cleared out of that section of town.

Got home and the sirens and klaxons went off. It was available from a well known mail order place for a fraction of that cost. It is still in the collection waiting to be built.

Similar thing happened crossing into Canada and buying the Hobby Craft Dehaviland Otter. $36.00 USD plus a $7.00USD duty fee as I was in Canada for less than 24 hours. SWMBO was not amused. I must have a sign taped to by backside that says "Kick me."
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
T-21
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by T-21 »

Bought a trigger Sparmax & compressor airbrush last November. Treat the airbrush like a gun. Clean it after every use, now adept at stripping it which builds the confidence. I have been spraying Tamiya acrylics at about 14 psi and very pleased with results much quicker to cover the sprue gates than a paint brush. Practice and do not be frightened of it. It helps to have a clear work space area and well ventilated.
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

I spent a whole afternoon masking the canopy on an Academy 1/48 CH-53E. Seriously, a whole afternoon. That is one complex house of glass. I wound up with beautifully clear frames. And perfectly camouflaged transparencies. FML.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
carlos

Post by carlos »

Eric Mc wrote:I've never built a Stirling either - although I have an Airfix and an Italeri example in my stash.
Nor me - or a Sunderland either, and thinking about it, the only thing made by Short that I've ever built was, a 'Skyvan', many years ago.
(Don't have anything by 'Short' in my stash either)
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

flakmonkey wrote:I spent a whole afternoon masking the canopy on an Academy 1/48 CH-53E. Seriously, a whole afternoon. That is one complex house of glass. I wound up with beautifully clear frames. And perfectly camouflaged transparencies. FML.
FM,

Brilliant! Just brilliant!

I don't tend to mask canopies otherwise I would have done exactly the same thing. I do mask invasion stripes, though; sometimes they're black-white-black-white-black.

regards,

Martin
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Built the Airfix FW190 A-8 and decided to make it an A-9. Put the canopy on and later realised it needed to be the bubble version. Was halfway toward scratchbuilding one when I thought to perhaps look in the box. Of course, they provided two different canopies...
At least I didn't actually scratchbuild one, but I did still feel like a massive idiot.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
fredk

Post by fredk »

I use the blue pots of Revell Contacta glue. If I leave it for a short while glue hardens in the needle tube, so I have a piece of wire with a grip on it for poking down the hole to clear it.
Last weekend I was getting stuck into a few models. Glueing, painting, cutting, as you do. I kept not putting the cover on the needle and glue kept hardening, I kept clearing.
I got to one stage where the wire went in, but still no glue flowed, I took the lid off, wire pushed through from the inside, still no flow. I took the needle off and used a lighter flame on it. That cleaned it a bit more. But still no glue would come out.
Then I held the pot up to the light - ummm, there was no glue, it was empty. I'd used it up.
Big 'doh'
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
carlos

Post by carlos »

fredk wrote:I use the blue pots of Revell Contacta glue. If I leave it for a short while glue hardens in the needle tube, so I have a piece of wire with a grip on it for poking down the hole to clear it.
SNAP !
Copper wire from the core of an electric cable, to be precise - attached to a cocktail stick.

And yes, I've also had the 'Doh!' moment when the bottle was empty and I hadn't realised. :mrgreen:
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2

Return to “General Chat”