Martin's Tante Ju

The grand opening and building from the Secret Santa exchange.
Runs 24 Dec - 31 Jan and your host is MattBacon.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Martin's Tante Ju

Post by PaulBradley »

Coming along nicely, Martin.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Thanks, Paul!

45 minutes of masking and burnishing with a cocktail stick, followed by 4 coats of Xtracrylics dark green, followed by de-masking, leaves me here:

As you can see, the masking has lifted some of the Schwartzgrun paint on removal; there is also some bleed-under to correct, however on the whole I'm happy. The contrast between greens is more subtle than on my previous attempts at 'splinter' camo, a consequence of doing the darker green first. I like it: a subtle colour contrast, but definitely two distinct shades.

Tonight I aim to touch up the colours as required, add on the yellow bits 'for real', and the wheels. After that, it's on to some coats of klear and the decals.

regards,

Martin
iggie

Post by iggie »

I should say that's a pretty good outcome; I've suffered more lift and/or bleed on smooth surfaces before now, so I say well done to you!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Thanks, Iggie.

I think I've got the worst of it sorted now. I'll let that cure, then give it a micromesh to remove any paint ridges (the plastic ridges will, however, remain) and start klearing.

Here's the evidence of where I got to by the end of the GB (photos admittedly not much different to those preceding, but things are at least now glued on):

And here's the contrast in greens compared to my contemporaneous He111P build (currently waiting to hear from the Airfix spares department for new front gunner's glazing). I think the contrast is more marked for the He111, which was painted the more traditional dark green all over first, followed by the schwartzgrun.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Thanks, RD.

The yellow is Humbrol rattlecan yellow (H24?), sprayed over a white basecoat. It's given a nice finish.

Regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Research Dept wrote:Ahhh, Rattlecan, good idea, duly noted, thanks.

Any progress?

. . . R&D
Unfortunately, no. I started applying the decals but despite everything I tried: decal softening solution, decal setting solution, klear, I couldn't get them to sit down over the corrugations. So, I have removed the existing decals and contacted Airfix to see if they have a spare decal sheet . . .

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

So, the build has now stalled until I can source some new decals. Thanks for letting me play, and apologies to my Secret Santa for not finishing; I did try!

Further posts will go in my WW thread.

Thanks again!

Martin
iggie

Post by iggie »

Good effort though Martin, just a shame you were let down with the decals at the end......I'm not looming forward to my 52 now!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Such a shame but still looks good. Unfortunately I don't have any Ju-52 decals but I do have plenty of German markings. Let me know what you need and I will check my stash.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)

Return to “Secret Santa 2015”