Martin's Heinkel Heavy

A Whiffery GB for any type of model. Simple decal changes, mild surgery or major. But all must have a story to back it up, no matter how silly or unbelievable.
The GB runs from 15 Sep through 16 Oct, and your host is FredK.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Martin's Heinkel Heavy

Post by Martin R »

Finally got back to the modelling table tonight. I managed to cut the wings off, then added some spars, like so:

I then added some reinforcement to the front fuse joint and joined them:

Then, after the wing spars had dried, I joined the wing bits, leaving me here:

Regards

Martin
fredk

Post by fredk »

Some serious modelling going on here
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

dwomby wrote:That's looking great, Martin. Will it have undercarriage on the inner or outer nacelles (or both)?

David
David,

I was thinking of just using the kit parts on the inner nacelles.

As the gear arrangement of the He177 could take more weight and the He377 was not stressed for dive bombing, it was not aas heavy as would first be thought and consequently the gear arrangement, as was, could be reused.

Regards

Martin
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Makes sense.

David
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

So, after another couple of hours at the bench, the fuselage joints are all made and drying, and I've added an extended bomb bay roof and the kit bulkheads for rigidity. Fuse halves are now taped together to dry in the right orientation (one of the halves was a bit banana shaped originally, but that has been sorted out.

I've also cut out the bits for one lower wing and taped them together to check fit. Just need to sort out a radiator face and some bulkheads to prevent the see-through look and I could join the wing together. More soon.

Regards

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
fredk

Post by fredk »

Impressive work
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Some serious work going on here. Great job so far.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

No pics, but progress continues.

I have lined the oil cooler intakes and various other orifices in the wing leading edges with plastic sheet to prevent the see-through look. This has all been primed; a lick of paint tonight and the wings can be assembled.

I have joined the spare outer wings with the intention of cutting them down to form tailplanes. That's plan A anyway. Not sure they'll look right.

I have extended the bomb bay aft of the wings by about 30mm and added a cut down piece of bomb bay roof between the fuse bulkheads for extra rigidity.

Finally, I have cut off the rear of the fuse aft of the tailplane roots and added a cut down version of the rear turret fairing from the Revell He177A-6 (you can still make a standard A-5 with the rest of the bits). This is a bit rough and ready but has had a coat of filler applied to make it a bit more symmetrical; that and some card shimming should make the halves line up better.

So, lots of minor progress but still lots to do, including adding some detail to the flight deck, which is next up. If I can get the fuse together and tailplane and wings ready for assembly by the end of the GB, I'll be happy.

Regards

Martin
Martin R

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Excellent work, have you thought about what colours and markings you intend to use?

Will it be loaded for bear, with the four glide bombs and the full bomb bay?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Hi Splash,

I want it to look plausible and I can't get over that meaning RLM70/71 topsides, although I'm not too enamoured by that. As I'm assuming this size of aircraft would be tied to concrete runways, would a grey splinter be more appropriate?

Another thought: if this was a night bomber, some form of 75/76 scheme like a nachtjager with a black bottom, perhaps?

Re armament, I'm afraid the bomb bay will be closed and I'm not envisaging a maritime role for this strategic bomber.
Martin R

Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Nuclear role maybe?
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Kitaholic wrote:Nuclear role maybe?
Hmmm. Anti-flash white underside.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Wings glued together and drying:

Latest state of the fuselage. I have filled the holes left by removing the tailfin and the stubs for attaching the tailplane halves.

Steps towards making a new tailplane: glue together spare outer wing halves; make 2 parallel cuts at inboard and outer ends of the aileron and at 90degs to the aileron hinge line; remember that the tailplane will be fitted to the tapering rear fuselage (doh!); make another cut inboard to compensate; stand back and admire;try to replicate on other half!

I am happy with the planform and size of the tailplane and it goes well with the V-22 fin that Mark supplied, but its a bit thick. Will have to try to sand the cross section down a bit. It'll also have to have some spars added through the fuse to give the join some structural strength.

Regards

Martin
celt

Post by celt »

Great work MartinR,as regards colour,being a Wiffery,its entirely in your hands.Night bomber, maritime or even anti flash white,all are plausible.Have fun choosing.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

celt wrote:Great work MartinR,as regards colour,being a Wiffery,its entirely in your hands.Night bomber, maritime or even anti flash white,all are plausible.Have fun choosing.
Thank you, Celt. I suspect it'll be quite some time before I have to make a choice!

However, I had a pleasant evening gizmoing up the cockpit.

Now for a little more work on the tailwheel bay and some painting and we must be getting close to joining the fuse halves.

Regards

Martin

Return to “Any Type Kit Whiffery”