Nifty Fifties build? *** Complete/Archived ***

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Chuck Finley
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Nifty Fifties build?

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Does a B-36 count for this. Service was 1950-1959 but first flight would have been earlier (late 40's?). :grin:
It most certainly does count and should you plan on the 1/72 scale Monogram kt, you should take a look at Sprectre Resins (http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/Spectre-p1.html;). They have a nice Mk-17/24 Nuclear shape and should be getting it back in stock. Only the B-36 carried that bomb ( 24' 8" long and weighed 24 tons). With a 10-15 megaton yield, it would make a nice load-out. I have one for mine. :)
Thanks for that link Chuck. Might be worth a go. I don't have the monogram version but the Revell one, probably the same thing??. I had seen conversion sets that allow you to make the retractable gun turrets so that might be worth a look too.
The Revell of Germany 1/72 scale B-36 is the Monogram kit with better decals. Remember, Monogram and Revell are currently the same company. In the states, we call the company Revellogram for a reason. Plus the owners of Revell in the US now owns Revell of Germany as well.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

good times, pourquoi pas?
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

MarkyM607 wrote:[
Thanks for that link Chuck. Might be worth a go. I don't have the monogram version but the Revell one, probably the same thing??. I had seen conversion sets that allow you to make the retractable gun turrets so that might be worth a look too.
Looks like it could be
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/115167- ... peacemaker;
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
iggie

Post by iggie »

novokits wrote:good times, pourquoi pas?
Perhaps 'interesting ' might be more accurate :shock:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

MarkyM607 wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Does a B-36 count for this. Service was 1950-1959 but first flight would have been earlier (late 40's?). :grin:
It most certainly does count and should you plan on the 1/72 scale Monogram kt, you should take a look at Sprectre Resins (http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/Spectre-p1.html;). They have a nice Mk-17/24 Nuclear shape and should be getting it back in stock. Only the B-36 carried that bomb ( 24' 8" long and weighed 24 tons). With a 10-15 megaton yield, it would make a nice load-out. I have one for mine. :)
I've ordered the set for the upper front turret, getting that and one for the lower rear turret would have been over £50!!, can't stretch to that at the moment. Plus the -36 had another top turret emplacement behind the wing!!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:
I've ordered the set for the upper front turret, getting that and one for the lower rear turret would have been over £50!!, can't stretch to that at the moment. Plus the -36 had another top turret emplacement behind the wing!!.

You don't have to have all of the gun bays opened up. You can always do one and leave the rest closed. You might also want to pick up a copy of "Strategic Air Command" starring Jimmy Stewart. It is a great reference for the B-36 and the B-47 as well! Those interior scenes are especially nice. :)
fredk

Re: Nifty Fifties build? *Poll added*

Post by fredk »

I've voted, in case I decide to join in with this.
Undecided yet. :???:
Ask me again after December 31st. :lol:
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I voted for March to allow time to get over any Xmas builds.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:

You don't have to have all of the gun bays opened up. You can always do one and leave the rest closed. You might also want to pick up a copy of "Strategic Air Command" starring Jimmy Stewart. It is a great reference for the B-36 and the B-47 as well! Those interior scenes are especially nice. :)
I've heard of that film but never seen it, might be time to hunt it down!. As far as the guns go, I thought having the most obvious one open would be more than good enough. :grin:
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I voted for March but can probably do anytime from Jan to May.

David
hayabusa
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by hayabusa »

I voted March 2017.
Regards,

Pawel
(2024 A:B:C 2:1:0)
(2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 A:B:C (11+11+16+10):0:0... no comments ... khem); (2019 A:B:C 4:2:0) ; (2018 A:B:C 6:2:0) ; (2017 A:B:C 8:0:0)
In progress:
1/72, Matchbox, Sea Harrier FRS.1
1/72, Arma Hobby, Yakovlev Yak-1b
1/72, Hobby Boss, F4F-4 Wildcat
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've voted March too but I'm OK with any of the options :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Voted for March but can always adapt. Of course the B-36 may need a HUUUGE amount of build space!. The upper forward turret set has arrived today. Looks easy enough to fit but painting as I build it looks tricky!.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:Voted for March but can always adapt. Of course the B-36 may need a HUUUGE amount of build space!. The upper forward turret set has arrived today. Looks easy enough to fit but painting as I build it looks tricky!.

Spectre Resins just got in the Mk.17/24 nuclear weapon model in stock. Get it now if you plan on adding it to your B-36. The nukes tend to sell out as soon as they get in stock.

http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/SR-N1.html;
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

What is the magic number of participants required to be placed on the calendar? There appears to be quite a bit of interest in the subject.

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”