Nifty Fifties build? *** Complete/Archived ***

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Nifty Fifties build? *Poll added*

Post by fredk »

8 confirmed builders
'maybes' don't count
And its a 6 month lead time. GBs don't go on the calendar until 6 months before start time. So you need to keep this one active for a couple more months so it can go on the calendar for March.

oh, and count me as a confirmed please.
I have loads that fit into the 1950 decade.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Voted for March but can always adapt. Of course the B-36 may need a HUUUGE amount of build space!. The upper forward turret set has arrived today. Looks easy enough to fit but painting as I build it looks tricky!.

Spectre Resins just got in the Mk.17/24 nuclear weapon model in stock. Get it now if you plan on adding it to your B-36. The nukes tend to sell out as soon as they get in stock.

http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/SR-N1.html;
Thanks for that Chuck, still not sure what aircraft I'm doing in particular (I mean which B-36!!), so not sure if I want any specific weaponry. Still, will try and keep it in mind, Thanks!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Voted for March but can always adapt. Of course the B-36 may need a HUUUGE amount of build space!. The upper forward turret set has arrived today. Looks easy enough to fit but painting as I build it looks tricky!.

Spectre Resins just got in the Mk.17/24 nuclear weapon model in stock. Get it now if you plan on adding it to your B-36. The nukes tend to sell out as soon as they get in stock.

Thanks for that Chuck, still not sure what aircraft I'm doing in particular (I mean which B-36!!), so not sure if I want any specific weaponry. Still, will try and keep it in mind, Thanks!. :grin:

Common, you know you want to hang one of these puppies in the only aircraft that could physically carry one. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_17_nuclear_bomb;

I picked up two Mark 6 atomic bombs. one for my B-47E that I just finished and the second for that B-50D sitting in the stash. Why not add another bucket of instant sunshine to the build?
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:

Common, you know you want to hang one of these puppies in the only aircraft that could physically carry one. :P

I picked up two Mark 6 atomic bombs. one for my B-47E that I just finished and the second for that B-50D sitting in the stash. Why not add another bucket of instant sunshine to the build?
Yeah, I reckon you're right. Do they fit onto a special rack in the bomb bay or what?, not sure whether I could stick it to the bomb racks!. You're right about it being cool that that -36 was the only thing that could lug around some stuff. B-52 be darned!!. :lol:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

MarkyM607 wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:

Yeah, I reckon you're right. Do they fit onto a special rack in the bomb bay or what?, not sure whether I could stick it to the bomb racks!. You're right about it being cool that that -36 was the only thing that could lug around some stuff. B-52 be darned!!. :lol:
Sigh. Darn this need to buy stuff. Because of you, yes YOU Chuck, I've just contributed $26-50 to your economy!! :lol: :ha: (Bomb ordered).
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:

You could take a look at the "B-36 Peacemaker in Detail and Scale Vol. 47" It's not very expensive and I used it when byuilding my kit.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ref/d ... b-36.shtml;

When carry nuclear payloads, the bomb would be held in a rack that hangs from the center roof of the bomb bay. Do not use the vertical bomb racks on the sides. I would just glue it to top of the bomb bay myself. The rack would be hidden from anybody looking up anyway.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks for the info, especially on the bomb rack etc, that sounds like a plan, although I do have the book Magnesium Overcast by Dennis Jenkins. Lots to see in there and some bomb bay details with all loads. I'll see if I can hunt down the d&s, would be nice and I've got a little bit of time to try and find it. I ordered a Mk17/24 bomb from Spectre but haven't heard anything yet, don't expect it be here after three days but no order confirmation or anything. Are they usually good at this?. Guess there's time to sort that out. :grin:
I'm actually eager to start this one but it's March we start isn't it?, darn. Still I do have a AMT B-52G and a Monogram B-52D to keep me going!!. Was going to go to town on the B-36 and add some external detail but not sure it would get done in a GB timeframe. I think the gun turrets will do!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Just for fun, here is my existing B-36, carrying the B-58 Static Test airframe. When I made this kit I did not have the correct markings for the aircraft in question, 49-2677, nor a picture both of which I now have.
The question is, should I respect my modelling history and leave it as it is, or refurbish it with correct markings and paint colours?. The seams also need a little tidying up as well.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

1950s?

Maybe.

Pretty sure I could find some way of fitting a Spitfire into this! :ha:
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

DazDaMan wrote:1950s?

Maybe.

Pretty sure I could find some way of fitting a Spitfire into this! :ha:

You could always do an Airfix Spitfire PR XIX. The RAF flew them until 1954 and there are some nice postwar marking from Xtradecal.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

I've got the Airfix 1/48 Seafire with Korea markings, so I may play, depending on Stuff.
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Dependent on the dates selected for this GB you can count me in. I've a growing selection of aircraft models of types flown by 29(F) Sqn and the Meteor NF11 fits into this time frame. Consider me 'in' (unless the dates coincide with my canal boat holiday - I am not sure I want to do the modelling whilst boating lark again).
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Yep I'll endeavour to take part..
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I have acquired an F-84G ThunderJet for this Group Build.

Have we confirmed a date yet?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Old_Tonto wrote:I have acquired an F-84G ThunderJet for this Group Build.

Have we confirmed a date yet?
March seems to be favourite.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”