Mark I 1/144 Ta152H-1

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Mark I 1/144 Ta152H-1

Post by Martin R »

I have a strange relationship with 1/144 scale. On the one hand, I love the dinkiness of the kits, but I find building them a bit of a pain, what with my sausage fingers an' all. I also would like to see some nice up to date renditions of mid- to late-WWII RAF and Luftwaffe aircraft that I generally model and these can be a bit thin on the ground. However, my head can be turned by a well rendered example (Platz Mustang anyone?).

Anyway, for whatever reason, I bought the Mark I 1/144th He219A-7 a few months ag and thought this was a nice kit in the box (some builds have been included in the modelling press recently and they seem to agree with me), so when I saw that Mark I had also brought out a Ta152H in the same scale, I thought, "I'm having that!". So, upon taking charge of the box, what do you get for your money?

Well, the classic Eastern European end opening box for a start, although it does feel sturdier than eg Special Hobby kits. Rather uninspired box art, but 4 nice colour options on the back including a captured RAF example:

Associated decals, which are nicely in register and include IP and console detail, but no swastikas:

And two sprues of light grey plastic (for each kit; the box contains two separate kits). Panel lines are recessed and nicely incised; surface detail looks very good; interiors of wheel wells are nicely rendered. Although there aren't that many parts, I think the level of detail is spot on. Tub, IP and seat for the interior (if you squint hard, you can see that the seat has a ribbed seat cushion rendered into the pan - not bad for 1/144); I'm also impressed by the thinness of the canopies. I know the previous shot of the decals makes them look pretty thick but somehow I believe that's an illusion; they're the thinnest 1/144 canopies I've ever seen, that's for sure.

Finally, the instructions and colour schemes:

So, overall this looks like a serious quality product. If it builds as well out of the box as it looks, then I'll be a happy boy!*

Hope some of the above is of interest / use to you.

regards,

Martin

* It's also seriously whetted my appetite for the same firm's series of Beaufighters, the first of which are due out late in the year!
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Mark I 1/144 Ta152H-1

Post by AndrewR »

Mmm looks like a nice kit there Martin. :)
Up in the Great White North

Return to “In-Box reviews”