Karaya 1/72 Supermarine "Seamew" (late)

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Karaya 1/72 Supermarine "Seamew" (late)

Post by JamesPerrin »

Picked up at SMW 15 S/H for £15 just 2mins after pondering a full price one elsewhere at £27. Even at the RRP it's still a very good price for a resin kit of this quality.

The kits is packed into two poly bags, large components in one and everything else in an other. I've rebagged, engine, internals and struts into their own bags after taking and inventory. A fret of PE and well printed Techmod decals, which from experience are very thin and a bit tricky to handle.

Some struts were broken and a couple of smaller pieces missing. They could have well been lot by the former owner.

The parts are beautifully moulded and even come with alignment pins. Those for the wings and struts will most likely be replaced with wire.

The engines are divine and also contains some very delicate Lewis guns. There is the option to have solid it wire wheels for the retractable (!) main wheels. Thankful unlike the Sea Lion I built, it doesn't have the immortal words "make spokes" and supplies some very nice PE ones.

PS You can tell it's 'late' as it has a four blade prop. The instruction show the earlier two blade props with an additional note.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Karaya 1/72 Supermarine "Seamew" (late)

Post by iggie »

That looks pretty scarey ummm interesting.....yep, interesting :shock: :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Thanks, James.. my, that's a lovely looking kit.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

It is a beautiful kit indeed and it goes together very nicely. I just finished (as of 20 minutes ago) the kitbash of this kit that I started in about 2006 :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: (no fault of the kit - just a combination of AMS and modelling-ADHD)

I'll post up a thread on the forum once I have decent pics.

It behaved extremely well. I am very impressed with Karaya. I have their Vickers Vanellus to start on soon and I am certainly looking forward to it after this one.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

Return to “In-Box reviews”