Does anybody use superglue (CA) for major assemblies?

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Does anybody use superglue (CA) for major assemblies?

Post by DavidWomby »

I use liquid cement or even tube polystyrene cement for large assembles - joining fuselage halves, wing halves, wings to fuselage, etc.. However, I just watched a promo video of Squadron's new line of superglues and the guy used thin superglue to join fuselage halves. I would have thought that it would be a weaker joint than polystyrene cement.

Does anybody use superglue for large joints and have any view on the pros and cons?

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Does anybody use superglue (CA) for major assemblies?

Post by JamesPerrin »

I see no reason to use it on plastic kits in general. It only has uses as a occasional gap filler.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I use it all the time, for pretty much everything. :grin:
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Superglue is strong enough to bond two pieces of any size, but weak in shear.
I prefer a hot glue like Tenax for styrene and save superglue for resins, metals, multi-media, and maybe quick repairs for "broke in transit".
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

When I build models with my kid, we use superglue for everything. He has asthma and the solvents of model cement would bother him. Plus superglue gives an instant bond, unlike say, the non-toxic Testors citrus stuff in the tube, so we can have a whole Spitfire ready to paint in an hour or so from starting. That's important with the modern juvenile attention span.

I just used superglue for the fuselage joins on my Rareplanes Stinson L-5. The fuselage is made of clear acetate, so model cement won't work on it.

Yes, it is a weaker bond than a cement that actually melts the parts into a single piece, but how much stress do you subject your models to? I guess larger models might pull themselves apart with their own weight, but it isn't an issue with a 1/72 fighter.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
fredk

Post by fredk »

jRatz wrote:I prefer a hot glue like Tenax for styrene and save superglue for resins, metals, multi-media, and maybe quick repairs for "broke in transit".
Same; I use Revell glue for kits. Only use superglue as main/only glue on resin or white-metal kits.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

AndrewR wrote:I use it all the time, for pretty much everything. :grin:
Apart from canopies of course. I have Glue'n'glaze PVA for that.
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

K5083 wrote:Yes, it is a weaker bond than a cement that actually melts the parts into a single piece, but how much stress do you subject your models to? I guess larger models might pull themselves apart with their own weight, but it isn't an issue with a 1/72 fighter.
I agree, but if you superglue a part on top another and it sticks up, then it is likely to shear off if you bump it. Seams are a different issue. I have same problem with CA & Photoetch which is why I use a PVA (Gators Grip) glue; the part might separate a bit, but not completely.

It probably is 90% personal preference ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I use Zap-a-Gap cyano for most things but prefer Liquid Poly for larger assemblies. That's not a hard and fast rule though and sometimes the Zap-a-Gap gets used for wings, fuselages, hulls etc. It has quite a bit of setting time for a cyano glue so a fair bit of playing about is possible and strength wise I've yet to have any issues with it. As for canopies, it's a toss up between Clearfix or, if I'm feeling brave, Loctite Superglue. It doesn't fog clean canopies with a coat of Klear.

However, as John points out, it's all a matter of preference. It is great though that we can share opinions like this and perhaps modify our preferences :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
fredk

Post by fredk »

jRatz wrote:
K5083 wrote:Yes, it is a weaker bond than a cement that actually melts the parts into a single piece, but how much stress do you subject your models to? ...
I agree, but if you superglue a part on top another and it sticks up, then it is likely to shear off if you bump it. ....
And that shear property has been useful when some of my models have been broken in transit to/from shows. The superglued part broke away at the glued joint, whereas on a similar model the same part, glued on with regular poly glue, broke off through the plastic part. The fractured part was harder to mend.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

I used to use it for gluing the road wheels onto Armour kits, the instant set helped to make sure the wheels remained straight, did use it a couple of times for the drive and idler wheel, but when using vinyl tracks I found it tended to give way under the tension whilst fitting them, always used the Gel type more then the liquid - that stuff just got everywhere!!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

K5083 wrote:He has asthma and the solvents of model cement would bother him.
I'm sure you know best what works in your case, but the vapours coming off CA have been know to drive me from the room at times. I was really pouring it on at that time of course, but still...

Return to “Construction Tips”