Old Letraset sheets that won't release

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
K5083
Active Participant

Old Letraset sheets that won't release

Post by K5083 »

I brought this question up in passing once in a build thread, but thought I would post a general query/plea for help.

I have about a dozen sheets of the old Letraset branded dry transfers created for plastic models. Some have markings almost impossible to get today.

They won't release from the carrier film, even onto clear decal sheet. You have to rub hard enough to tear through the carrier before they release.

I have tried various chemistry including water, naphtha, isopropol alcohol, etc., applied either to the transfer or to the receiving surface. Some of them release the markings, but they also melt them.

I have tried Pledge/Future/Klear applied to the receiving surface to make it more tacky. No dice.

I have thought about heat, maybe trying to iron the stuff on, but haven't tried it. If I have to iron the entire Letraset sheet onto a clear decal sheet to save the markings, I'm willing to do it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experiences you can relate.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Old Letraset sheets that won't release

Post by jssel »

I will be tuned in to this one. I have the same issue and do not have an answer.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Hi August. If you are thinking of transferring the whole lot onto decal film then why not just scan the sheets, save the files, and then print those scans directly onto decal film - you can do that over and over again then with the scanned images!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Al,

For a few designs that might work, but there's that problem in the post-ALPS era that if you print on clear, you've got transparent decals that need a white undercoat, and if you print on white, many designs are very challenging to trim. If the transfers are of white markings, then scanning and printing produces -- a blank sheet of decal film! So there's no full substitute for a sheet of either decals or transfers.

August
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

http://www.letraset.com/shopcustcontactspecial.asp

Have you asked Letraset if they have any advice? The company still seems to be active.

David
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Great idea David. I've just sent them a note. It may at least create some amusement in the Letraset offices.

August
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Heck. I didn't they were still around.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

There's a thread here on LSP

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index ... opic=33561;

It recommends xylene as a solvent. be cautious if you try this, xylene is evil :omg
Up in the Great White North
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I like to think things like this over before I try them, so I contemplated this for 8 years or so, and finally tried it this week.

Based on my experiments, the xylene does help. The method that is working for me so far is to swab the xylene to the transfer side of the transfer, then wait 10 or 15 minutes before applying. It should not still be wet when you rub it down; that causes bits of the transfer to float around and mess up the design. I am rubbing mine onto clear decal paper. I am not getting anywhere near a 100% success rate, but I have salvaged a few markings that otherwise would be junk.

August

Return to “Finishing Tips”