Paint and color questions

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
gomergizmo
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Paint and color questions

Post by gomergizmo »

Is there anyone here who uses a lot of Vallego paint and could tell me the correct colors for the planes below. Then what is the best thinner to use, what ratio of mix, paint to thinner for air brushing. All I am after is the skin colors.

Professor Polarbear
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Paint and color questions

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm going to pass on by the "only need skin colors" :grin: but it was tempting ....

If you are going to airbrush, then focus on their Model Air line of paints - they are formulated for airbrush and my experience shows they need no thinner. If you need some, Vallejo has it's own brand.

The Model Color range is broader, but easier handbrushed; getting them to airbrush can be trial & error, each different. I have started using Model Air as a thinner for Model Color, sometimes using that combo to create a custom color. Mix well.

Vallejo has a package of Model Air paints specifically for RAF/FAA and I think also for German. You can use them as a guide to select the colors you need. Their website is: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/; and then go to Downloads for PDF's of their brochures. If you go to the Products tab then Model Paints and click around a bit, you can find the various paint sets

A primer is helpful to get them to hold.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

What I meant by skin colors is I didnt need landing gear colors etc.
Professor Polarbear
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Ratch »

I use mainly (but not exclusively) Vallejo. As stated above, Vallejo Model Air is formulated to be airbrushed straight from the bottle - I've never had to thin it. If I want to spray Model Colour I use Vallejo's own thinner. As for the colours to use...
Va: 71038 Camouflage Medium Brown & Va: 71016 US Dark Green for early WW2 RAF upper camouflage
Va: 71057 Black for port under surfaces
Va: 71001 White for starboard under surfaces

Va: 71048 Dark Sea Grey & Va: 71016 US Dark Green for post '43 RAF upper camouflage
Va: 71051 Barley Grey for post '43 RAF under surfaces
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

Thank you very much Ratch. That ia exactly and all the info I wanted. Well done kind sir.
Professor Polarbear
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

Here is what I ended up with. Only problem is the HE111 should have bee the 10 not 20.

Professor Polarbear
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

Have fun!
Don't let them become a chore
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

fredk, I look at it like this. Mostly I build and give away. It sits on their mantle and collects dust. nobody really see's it. Or I build it and put it on my mantle and it collects dust. The plan is this time to have the builds ready to display in a museum art gallery this spring. After the exhibit is done the plan is for the planes to go to the Royal Canadian Legion.

Talk about a build to be proud of.
Professor Polarbear
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Polarbear wrote:fredk, I look at it like this. Mostly I build and give away. It sits on their mantle and collects dust. nobody really see's it. Or I build it and put it on my mantle and it collects dust. The plan is this time to have the builds ready to display in a museum art gallery this spring. After the exhibit is done the plan is for the planes to go to the Royal Canadian Legion.

Talk about a build to be proud of.
That sounds like a great idea and a fitting home for the finished models.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Finishing Tips”