Battle Class destroyers: weapons fit help needed, please

Boats, ships, submarines and things maritime.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Battle Class destroyers: weapons fit help needed, please

Post by DavidWomby »

I am researching in prep for the Classic British Ship Kits GB. I am a total ship modelling newbie and need a bit of help, please. I plan building the UPC issue of this kit which is boxed as D79 HMS Cadiz. I know Atlantic do a full etch set for the kit but that's too much detail for my skill level but I will probably try to add some generic etch 1/350 railings and ladders and a few other bits.

I have Peter Hodges book and his articles from Airfix magazine and have been looking a pics on the web. My head is spinning trying to select a ship and weapons fit to build. I am leaning to one of the 1942 Battles using the kit provided director. Frog seem to have moulded an unrealistic combination of weapons - 2 x 4.5in turrets, 6 x single Bofors ( 1 on B gundeck, 1 on each bridge wing, 2 on gundeck aft of funnel and 1 on quarterdeck), 4 x STAAG dual Bofors (2 on mid gundeck and 2 on Aft (Q?) gundeck), a Squid but I read that this required an extension to the aft deckhouse and deletion of the single Bofors from the quarterdeck. I also read that when the STAAGs were installed, the mid gundeck was left unarmed and reduced in size as, due to weight, only 2 STAAGs could be carried. The Frog STAAG mouldings are crude and I will probably replace them with some from Atlantic Models.

So which 1942 group ship can accurately be built in this config: 2 x 4.5in turrets, 5 x single Bofors ( 1 on B gundeck, 1 on each bridge wing, 2 on gundeck aft of funnel and none on quarterdeck), 2 x STAAG dual Bofors on Aft (Q?) gundeck, Squid (with or without extended aft deckhouse?),

Any help and pointers to pics would be appreciated.

David
PS - I also posted this request on Britmodeller.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Battle Class destroyers: weapons fit help needed, please

Post by PaulBradley »

Each ship underwent modifications throughout their lives, so much will depend on what timeframe and which ship you wish to depict.

I am away from home at the moment, but I will be back to my references next week and can hopefully give you a hand then.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks, Paul.

I am open to depicting any of the ships but lean to a 1942 with 2× STAAG and a Squid. So far finding a pic of any in that config has proved elusive.

David
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Bingo! I think the pic of HMS Armada on this webpage has the weapons fit I am looking for.

https://funkoffizier.com/2008/01/21/hms ... r-y-cadiz/

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I'm now home and will see what I can find in my references for you.
Paul

DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks, Paul. I think Armada and Vigo are candidates for the config I want c. mid 1950s.

Things I need help on at the moment are: when the early ones got refitted with two STAAGs and a Squid, did they also get upgraded to 2 x quintuple torpedo tubes? Anything you can find on the shapes of the deckhouses added to the two rear raised gundecks especially the midships one when the guns were removed.

thanks

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I just dug out my book Battle Class Destroyers, by Patrick Boniface - I can HIGHLY recommend it. See if you can get a copy via inter-library loan.

Anyways, I had forgotten it has an appendix listing all the secondary armament changes over the course of their carers! I'll scan it and e-mail it to you if you want it.

It has some very nice pics of Armada, but nothing really good for Vigo.
Paul

DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

PM inbound

Return to “The Shipyard”