VFR Models 1:72 Piper PA-28

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

VFR Models 1:72 Piper PA-28

Post by TeeELL »

On area our hobby is lacking is the light aircraft arena. There are Tiger Moths, Chipmunks and Bulldogs but they all have a ‘military theme’, where are the Cessna 150’s, Piper Cherokees, Piper Tomahawks etc, etc.
Well VFR Models are aiming to fill that shortfall.

https://vfrmodels.co.uk/

As some of you are aware, one of my build themes is ‘aircraft I have flown’ and whilst I’ve ‘civvy’ JPs and Strikemasters in that area, I do not have a model of the aircraft I first went solo in or the types I flew to maintain my PPL. It changes now!

I have selected the PA-28 to review first, for no other reason that it was the first to hand.

The VFR Models 1:72 PA-28 can be built as a 161/181/236 (Warrior II/Archer/Dakota) model of this popular light aircraft.

The model is presented in a sturdy corrugated cardboard box that should ensure safe postage. Inside, the smaller model parts are contained in separate plastic bags although the main components are free the ‘rattle around’.

There are laser printed transfers for 6 options along with the ‘instructions’; which focus on the liveries. The kit itself is very straightforward and only requires sufficient research to determine which engine cowling (there are 3 options) and U/C spats/no spats etc.

The parts are all 3D printed and remain attached to their ‘printing platforms’, fine sprue cutters/razor blade/ fine razor saw required - the instructions cover this aspect of the separation and clean-up.

There is a basic interior with control yokes which will take some additional detailing - seat belts etc. disappointingly there are no transfer options for the instrument panel, although there are so many variations!
All in all there are about 20 parts to make up any particular model of PA-28 included.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: VFR Models 1:72 Piper PA-28

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for sharing these Tony, I've been wondering what his kits were like - I'll be interested to see how it builds up.

I agree with you though that GA kits are a huge gap in the modelling arena, I've no idea why, as there is a huge amount of interesting types and schemes that can be applied. I've always fancied building some of the types I used to work on - here's hoping he makes some more!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “In-Box reviews”