LS 1/72 Bede Bd-5

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

LS 1/72 Bede Bd-5

Post by SJPONeill »

Each Bond movie traditionally starts with an exciter, an introductory scene that gets the pulse racing even if it doesn’t have a great deal to do with the actual plot, a fun but unnecessary introduction to James Bond 007. Octopussy started with such a scene that culminated in a fast-paced aerial sequence involving a Bede BD-5 microjet and the back end of a (fake) horse.
The BD-5 is the subject of this kit, bought on a total whim from bigsky42 on Trademe. It’s actually two kits allowing two aircraft to be built with options on jet or prop propulsion and short of long wings. Apparently, there is one release of this kit, possibly under an Arii label, that includes four aircraft allowing each permutation to be built.
Both models are quite simple with very few parts. I saw somewhere online that these are the smallest 1/72 models of a manned aircraft. The cockpits are so tiny that the addition of a pilot figure or seatbelts, not sure you could fit both, would be about all that was necessary.

The USAF markings are for a version of the prop version that was stored on a USAF base. According to a post on the Airfix Tribute Forum:

One of the people who ordered one was an ROTC cadet who then went on to join the USAF as an officer. He was still building it when he was posted abroad (to Germany and Korea as I recall), so after searching around he found a USAF state museum that was willing to store it for him. However, bearing in mind that the USAF had actually evaluated the aircraft about a decade earlier, and to stay in keeping with the theme of the collection, they asked that he put it in fictitious USAF markings while it was stored there. It reverted back to civilian markings once his overseas tours were over, and he was able to resume building it at home.
~LS 1/72 Bede microjet BD-5 (LS a194)

It might look equally as good in a USAF camouflage scheme as test bed (very) light attack or recce craft…
Of course, having built one, the question may be how long will it take before a 1/72 horse float looks scratchable?
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
DavidWomby

Re: LS 1/72 Bede Bd-5

Post by DavidWomby »

Very cute, Simon. I didn't even know this kit existed.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Very informative.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie

Post by iggie »

Indeed, very informative and a great looking little build 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

Could see a use for it as a observation aircraft near the front line, it being small and fast would be hard to shoot down. The fact you can hide it in a horse box would be useful too...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Muttzley wrote: November 9th, 2022, 3:43 pm Could see a use for it as a observation aircraft near the front line, it being small and fast would be hard to shoot down. The fact you can hide it in a horse box would be useful too...
So long as the end of the horse involved doesn't affect the quality of the intel gathered.... :-D :-D :-D
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Neat - I remember seeing ads for the kit in old Scale Models mags back in the day.

And I can confirm the real thing is tiny - we had one at the museum when I worked there and I couldn’t fit in it!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I built a pair of these years back, when they first appeared. I Bought 2 boxes plus two versions of their PITTS Special. Really nice little kits. They were less than £1.00 each at the time. These were the days when we could go out on a model trip and come back with bags of the things, then go out for a meal when we got back. Those days are long gone, I'm afraid. I base my current finances around the disposable income I have to buy kits and bits.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “In-Box reviews”