Humbrol black wash issues

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Header
starter kit

Humbrol black wash issues

Post by Header »

So i got the wash and before testing added to my model, I tried arylic thinner humbrol to wipe away the excess, Lucky for me didnt ruin the paint, But the excess remains. So i did the same process on some bomb bay doors, DId the same process this time using enamal thinner which worked HOWEVER removed the acrylic paint so im now stuck with a bodge job. Any advice would be great.
Stupot
Pottering around

Re: Humbrol black wash issues

Post by Stupot »

Hi Header and welcome to the forum.

I'm assuming you're using Humbrol's own product? I haven't used it personally but the one thing I always do with washes is to apply a gloss varnish first to protect the paint and decals. And, as you have figured out if its an enamel wash you'll need enamel thinners to clean it up. I use a cotton bud mostly and if you have a smooth gloss surface it takes very little effort to remove the excess.

Hope this helps

Stu
Old fashioned paint brush user.
Header
starter kit

Re: Humbrol black wash issues

Post by Header »

Hey, Yes all humbrol products, The wash is enamel based so i tested the enamel thinner, However it took the gloss and paint paint off, I used a test piece for this. In the end i put it down for the night, And went back to it, I found doing small bits at a time (While the wash is still wet) Wipe off the excess with a cotton bud, Which there was no issue.

I do have some other questions tho.

Return to “Finishing Tips”