Quick test: Vallejo metal colour

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Quick test: Vallejo metal colour

Post by flakmonkey »

For a very quick look at Vallejo Metal Color, let's break out the dreaded SPOONS.

I have broken out five Metal Colors, and five of the ubiquitous spoons. I have chosen silver, dark aluminum, aluminum, steel, and chrome for this brief test.

Each spoon took a bath in IPA, left to air dry, and then each received two coats of Vallejo's self levelling polyurethane primer which was left to cure for 12 hours. In preparation for a metal finish, each one was then buffed lightly with cotton jersey fabric (an old Iron Maiden tshirt) after curing.

The airbrush was stripped down, properly cleaned out to avoid any kind of contamination, reassembled with a 0.3mm setup, and then two coats only of each colour were sprayed in a single left to right direction, leaving a timed 15 minutes between each coat.

No thinner was used, each paint was sprayed directly from the bottle. Between colour changes I shot two colour cups of neat Timbertech cleaner through the airbrush and left it a few minutes between each cleaning. Upon reloading a new colour, enough was shot through that I was satisfied the previoius colour was not contaminating the new one. The needle tip and aircap were also thoroughly cleaned between colours.

I do not know my exact PSI, I use an inline MAC to regulate pressure and I just leave my compressor set at 2.5 bar, I would guess I was spraying at 15 PSI. The MAC was not altered during the test. Each bottle of paint was shaken for two minutes before spraying. This length of time is excessive but I wanted a consistent test. I did not use any kind of accelerated drying eg., heat or air, the paints were allowed to dry naturally at a comfortable 16 degrees Celsius. Allowed drying time was 30 minutes.

Each colour is labelled and you may decide for yourself which one suits which description. The chrome, of course, is not chrome at all but is nevertheless still a very useful bright metallic with good reflectivity.

Personally I think these are very easy to use, and provide an excellent result for those of us who do not wish to use volatile solvents on the workbench for whatever reason. Certainly a step above the regular ModelAir metallics.

The particle size of the "metallic" flake (mica) is commendably tiny, and the overall result can be outstanding. In this respect, they compare very favorably with the laquer based alternatives with which we are all familiar.

They are buffable after 24 hours and the results can be very good indeed, but you do this at your own risk.

They are, especially when purchased individually, quite expensive, and I would suggest buying these in the themed sets that Vallejo sells. The saving can be significant. Also keep in mind that coverage is exceptional, and a little does go a long way.

Thoroughly recommended.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
flakmonkey

Re: Quick test: Vallejo metal colour

Post by flakmonkey »

Quick note: These are pictures taken straight from my Nikon, with no form of colour correction applied, just resizing.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I won't argue with the results, which are beautifull, but I found airbrush handling to be a disaster. I spent considerably more time cleaning and unclogging my airbrush than actually painting. I was working on a 1/72 C-47 at the time, much larger than a spoon. If I had to take a guess, I'd say two or three spoons worth of area covered between having to clean the airbrush. If other Vallejo paints ruin your fun in that way, avoid these as well, you won't get along with them..
To be fair, I have to add that these paints (or at least "Chrome") are very tolerant of touch-up work; I had to sand out some surface issues and repaint, and the new coat blends in completely invisibly with the old. Most metallisers are nowhere near as tolerant.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Like Rob I’ve never had much luck spraying these paints. I found I needed to pull the needle also all the way back to get a consistent spray. So only good for hosting large pieces. That said I do find them excellent for brush painting and I have good range of colours. They have also lasted well, the first ones I bought must be almost 8 yrs old.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

There is possibly some understandable confusion here.

These are not ModelAir metallics.

It's these guys here...

Very much not the same.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Yep those are ones I’m talking about.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

JamesPerrin wrote: May 6th, 2023, 11:27 amYep those are ones I’m talking about.
Ditto.

Vallejo airbrushers seem to come in two variants: delighted and disgusted. The delighted ones get great results with the paints, so clearly the paints must have lots of good points to their name. Disgusted ones like myself are very happy other brands exist :-D

Although having said that, the Vallejo Air range seems to handle perfectly well even in my Vallejo-incompatible hands and airbrushes.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Thanks for this! Very helpful. I'm going to try one of these.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I had some issues at first, but I seem to have cracked it with them and got very good results on my Dewoitine.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

rob_van_riel wrote: May 6th, 2023, 11:36 am Vallejo airbrushers seem to come in two variants: delighted and disgusted. The delighted ones get great results with the paints, so clearly the paints must have lots of good points to their name. Disgusted ones like myself are very happy other brands exist :-D
I feel the same way about the much-vaunted MMP paints. To me, those are a waste of money (and a lot of it!!)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

I was, initially, not a Vallejo fan. I invested quite significantly in vallejo when I returned to the hobby in 2006 and I sold the whole lot. I found it frustrating and difficult. It would clog, it would dry on the needle, in short it was a nuisance and my experiences back then were much like Rob's. It was a frustrating, stop and start and stop again experience.

The thing is, and I now understand this, is that Vallejo hates alcohol. I was switching between Gunze, Tamiya, and Vallejo, in the same airbrush, and the moment Vallejo so much as looked at the tiniest trace of alcohol, the polyurethane base would separate out and clog the airbrush. It also loves to dry in the crown cap and on the needle which causes splattering and a downright refusal to spray, and to counter this I will always add a drop of Vallejo's own flow enhancer to the cup. I also do not run my airbrushes any more with a crown cap, and this makes it a very simple task to just give the needle a wipe after each spraying. It's a habit, that you get into. The crown cap, incidentally, is quite unnecessary if you are careful about how you place your airbrush into its stand when not in use. It performs no useful function other than to protect the needle tip.

I now run very few Tamiyas, only really the clear colurs, X-18 semi gloss black, and titanium silver and gold, and I have a different airbrush (a cheap Fengda FE-180K) that I reserve exclusively for these paints, and my workhorse Iwata is dedicated full time to vallejo/ mig ammo exclusively. And, lo and behold, I no longer have any kind of issue.

Vallejo can be tricky, I know, trust me, I really do know. It's demanding, and if you are prepared to observe its idiosyncracies, you can achieve a great result. It's not for everybody.
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

How are these for toughness, ie handling, masking & that sort of abuse that happens with modelling tasks after paint is laid down. The only Vallejo metallic I've tried was a bottle of Game Colour silver I picked up at a LHS, in the same sort of dropper bottle as their regular Modelcolour & Modelair paints come in. It was lousy for brush painting a large area but afterwards I was amazed at how resistant to damage it was on my paint mule.
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Provided your surface preparation is good, they are very resistant to handling once fully cured, and also take well to masking. They are tough enough, once fully cured, to take some pretty vigourous buffing, if you wish to do that.

Return to “Finishing Tips”