AK Land Rover 88 Series IIA Tow Truck 1/35

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

AK Land Rover 88 Series IIA Tow Truck 1/35

Post by iggie »

I think most modellers are aware of the AK brand by now, most likely for their range of paints and associated products. Recently however, they have produced a small range of 1/35th kits which appear to be all their own work. Included amongst this small range is the iconic Land Rover Series IIA which has been released in two boxings; a civilian 'station wagon' and Crane Tow-truck.

The box is a fairly robust tray and lid type, with a very nicely printed illustration on the top showing one of the three provided schemes for the completed kit. All three represent local garages which existed in real life and give a nice variety of finished models. The lid of the box is a very tight fit over the tray and needs a little caution when removing it to avoid damaging it.

The instructions are very detailed, and appear well laid out. There are colour call outs throughout (for AK paints only as you might imagination) with the relevant part(s) also coloured appropriately for ease.

Talking of parts, there are over 230 of them! A few will not be required depending on your build choices: for example, both left and right-hand drive options are provided so some parts are obviously going to be redundant as a result... that said though, there are a lot of very small detail parts, including some PE items to fit along the way. Everything looks very well moulded, with no observable flash. I'm sure there will be an ejector pin mark here and there that'll need attention, but without starting the assembly I couldn't say how many or how much of an issue they will be...my guess is not too many, and not too big an issue. Tyres are provided in vinyl; not everyone's favourite but they look fabulous and will take a nice bit of mud very well.

The decals look top class and leftovers will be very useful in the spares box I suspect 😉

All in all, a very nicely done kit all round and an interesting subject, which cries out to be the centrepiece of a village garage diorama 👍

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: AK Land Rover 88 Series IIA Tow Truck 1/35

Post by Gregers »

WOW, Many thanks Jim. I have memories of driving a very similar vehicle belonging to a scrap yard.
Added to the wants list 👍🏻

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: AK Land Rover 88 Series IIA Tow Truck 1/35

Post by Gregers »

One happy Greg. Just been told that we are getting these in at work. 😁 Looks like I will be spending some money.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “In-Box reviews”