Other Hobbies

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Other Hobbies

Post by beany »

Well done VV for resurrecting this thread; I can't believe I have never posted in it. I always loved art in school but could not see a way to make a living from it so had to bluff my way as an engineer for 40+ years to put a roof over our heads. I got inspired again by the like of Bob Ross and more so by some Korean artists who do great little 10 minute tutorial videos on YouTube, many of which I have copied and sometimes adapted to my tastes, e.g. swapping a jumbo jet in one for a flight of Lancaster bombers. I tend to stick to tube acrylics because they are relatively cheap and always quick drying and lend themselves to dry brushing (as in modelling) which I often use.
Here are a few examples of my work:

Cheers,
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

I love the light effects you do in your works.

David
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Bristol! Nice.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

The wooden bench and waterfall paintings are absolutely captivating. They're all good, of course, but those two are particularly excellent.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

The rain on the window with the kittens looks very realistic.

Nigel
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

I seem to recall someone on this forum, some time ago saying that when they where younger, they had a Ypvs, so a recently finished picture.

I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

DavidWomby wrote: November 30th, 2023, 2:13 am
VickersVandal wrote: November 30th, 2023, 12:15 am
DavidWomby wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:44 pm
The front suspension had to come out for welding repairs. Now I have to reassemble it and fit it back into the car.
Fun times. Suspension bolts tend to be next level tight in my experience. I just bought a spare set of rear leaves to have reset to be 3" lower so I can remove the (illegal) lowering blocks :oops:
My car recognition maxes out from 1970 - 1980 but before that I'm not so great. What is that marvellous machine?
You got that right about the disassembly. Off and on it took 5 weeks,lots of penetrating fluids, an impact wrench, a propane torch and much bad language.

It's a 1963 Bristol 408.

David
PS the previous owner fitted those mats. I planned getting rid of them but they 've grown on me and will be staying.
What a sunning car David!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

DavidWomby wrote: November 30th, 2023, 2:13 am
It's a 1963 Bristol 408.
and will be staying.
It's absolutely killer! The design is understated elegance.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

My other hobby is Bowls, of the Flat Green variety. I took it up around 2013, playing for a local club that was formed by St. Crispin Hospital Social Club. I have since become Men's Captain, Greenkeeper, and Hon. Treasurer. I've got to a few finals in competitions, and last year I won our Open Singles. I also play for Northampton & District (indoors) and Northamptonshire Vice Presidents (indoor and out). As an old rugby player, bowls reminds me very much of how rugby used to be. We play our game, have banter with the opposition, buy our opposite number a beer and they do too, we have a meal and the Captains give a speech, then we have more beer. The only thing is, we don't get to punch anyone :lol:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Blimely David that is a rare and awesome car indeed
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks for the kind words, gents. It is an impressive beast but not looking quite so glamorous at the moment.

As with modelling, life keeps slowing progress on repairs but I think I'll have her back on the road early in the new year.

David
PS- yes, my garage and my modelling desk compete for untidiest part of the house.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

There're hobbies other than modelling? :-D

I'm pretty boring really - My main interest is getting out and about with my wife and children, exploring castles and other historic sites, enjoying the countryside or doing a spot of wildlife watching.

Asides from that, I guess reading (I'm rather into classic 1930's who-dunnits and Commando comics at present), and vegetarian cooking are my main interests, especially medieval cookery.

I was into photography for a long time, but much less so these days - since I stopped shooting film back in 2020 and sold off all my old manual film cameras the fun has gone out of it.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Britwit
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Britwit »

My other hobby is family. I do family history and did a few DNA tests. Any one here know anything about this guy? My Mom's 10th great grandfather Sir Humphrey Bloomfield Styles born 1516 in Langley Kent England. Was he royalty or where does the Sir come from? I have a lot of British, Wales, Scottish and some Irish in me. Mostly English and Dutch.

1964-2024- too many years, too many glue fumes!
Britwit

Post by Britwit »

Stuart wrote: December 4th, 2023, 7:21 pm There're hobbies other than modelling? :-D

I'm pretty boring really - My main interest is getting out and about with my wife and children, exploring castles and other historic sites, enjoying the countryside or doing a spot of wildlife watching.

Asides from that, I guess reading (I'm rather into classic 1930's who-dunnits and Commando comics at present), and vegetarian cooking are my main interests, especially medieval cookery.

I was into photography for a long time, but much less so these days - since I stopped shooting film back in 2020 and sold off all my old manual film cameras the fun has gone out of it.

Cheers!
Nice! I had a Cannon AE1 35mm SLR film camera for many years. I use to do B&W, night and even did Comet Hiytuke on Kodachrome. Use to do a lot of firweworks with my tripod and remote cable release. Had 3 different lenses and a variety of filters. I gave my old metal Canon AE1 to my son but still fool around with a Canon DSLR, EOS Rebel T3. Not as fancy but it works nice! Like the hiking pictures....I use to hike Appalachain Trail in Eastern USA.
Britwit

Post by Britwit »

My other hobby is fly fishing and tying. I started about 40 plus years ago, loved the cold water streams and rivers in New England. Haven't done as much lately as I retired to FL and a "geriatric 55 plus prison" Want to escape this god awful heat and bug ridden area and go back to normal up north!

Return to “General Chat”