Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation museum, Flixton

Things that fly
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation museum, Flixton

Post by TeeELL »

I am wondering if anyone living in the vicinity of the Flixton museum might be able to help?
I have been searching for details of the Armstrong Siddeley ‘Panther’ engine, as fitted to the Fairey Gordon aircraft in order to design a 3D printeable version. I tracked down a damaged/recovered example at Marinemuseet, near Oslo and have photographs of it. This morning I received an email from an IPMS member in Norway, containing many images of ‘Panther’ examples around museums in Norway, but I was also advised that the N&S Aviation museum, Flixton has an example.

I have contacted them today to confirm that they do, indeed, possess a ‘Panther’ engine.

If they do, and it is accessible, is there anyone on this forum who would be willing/able to visit the museum and measure/photograph the engine? I can supply a short list of essential dimensions and required photos.

Many thanks for looking.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
broadside
Active Participant

Re: Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation museum, Flixton

Post by broadside »

I'll take one for the team and force myself up there the first chance I get. It will be a pleasure.
It's a fantastic museum, BTW. So many things to see and it's FREE! They take donations at various points around the site and it's worth a tenner of anyone's money.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation museum, Flixton

Post by TeeELL »

broadside wrote: December 25th, 2023, 12:36 pm I'll take one for the team and force myself up there the first chance I get. It will be a pleasure.
It's a fantastic museum, BTW. So many things to see and it's FREE! They take donations at various points around the site and it's worth a tenner of anyone's money.
Hi Broadside,
I have all the dimensions I need courtesy of a Norwegian IPMS member. There is a fairly good A-S Panther engine in one of the museums. So thank you for the offer, but no need to go on my account. That said, if you do go, please feel free to take what dimensions you can. My best suggestion is: imagine you want to build a scale model of the engine.

Many thanks and Yule-tide greetings.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown

Return to “Aviation Hangar”