Zimmerit via dremel

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Zimmerit via dremel

Post by Cardinal »

Got a dremel recently and since I wanted to test some zimmerit out I used it. Engraving tool is what I’ve seen recommended for zimmerit, so I tried that. Perhaps I’ve done something wrong… Very wrong.. Or, just very badly.

I guess it’s not very wrong but it could be better, considering it looks pretty inconsistent and all. Used an old Airfix Panther I had in the scraps. I want to get better at making zimmerit using a dremel, so does anyone have suggestions? I also am considering a smaller engraver might be helpful, but I’m not an expert on making this stuff as you can see.
Alex

The more effort I put into a model, the better it becomes!
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Zimmerit via dremel

Post by Clashcityrocker »

It looks melted. Does the engraver generate heat? I've never tried zimmerit so I have no suggestions for you, other than, don't do it that way again! :grin:

Nigel
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

Clashcityrocker wrote: January 8th, 2024, 6:02 am It looks melted. Does the engraver generate heat? I've never tried zimmerit so I have no suggestions for you, other than, don't do it that way again! :grin:

Nigel

The hull was melted prior from being in front of a heater too long I believe. The dremel does create some heat but definitely not that much!
Alex

flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

I won't comment on the suitability of a Dremel for zimmerit as I am sure that you have drawn your own conclusions by now, but I will say that a Liang zimmerit tool and a pack of epoxy putty is cheaper and far superior.

Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Battletweety
Active Participant

Post by Battletweety »

plus one for the zimmerit tool. I tried doing zimmerit with putty and a normal trowel with averag results. the zimmerit tool is definetely the way to go.
My attempts at doing it freehand...
iggie

Post by iggie »

Alternatively, there are 'decals' available, either in type specific pre-cut pieces, or sheets to cut yourself, which you can just stick onto the plastic and paint over...

Airfix 1/35 Tiger with Tamiya zimmeritt decals trimmed to fit
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
B4en

Post by B4en »

Hey there Cardinal, as you've discovered a dremel is far too coarse a tool for braille scale Zimmerit. Some fine suggestions above but they all seem designed for larger scale.

It's a long while since I tried doing 1/72 Zimmerit but I dug up some photos from an old storage drive. I remember trying to lay on a thin enough layer of milliput but failing to get it to work. In the end I used one of those cheapo small jeweller's screwdrivers, sharpened up the edge with a file, then ruled lines on the plastic and simply pressed the sharpened end into the kit plastic. It's not a perfect solution but fairly easy and at least you aren't covering your tank with an overly thick layer of putty.

The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Akatsiya
starter kit

Post by Akatsiya »

A dremel at a really slow speed is good for doing cast texture ( with a deft hand) for zimmerit aftermarket products are best, or a two part epoxy and a razor saw for most but the waffle pattern is the cheapest option, or zimmerit tools are cheap and easily available for most if not all patterns ( I’m talking about small scale, 1/35 has a wider option)
David Silver
Active Participant

Post by David Silver »

I think I must have led a very sheltered life because I have never heard of anyone doing zimmerit with a Dremel, in fact it boggles my mind how it could even be done with a Dremel. Milliput spread as thinly as possible then imprinted with a scrap of plasticard sanded to shape.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Milliput or Squadron Green Stuff together with either a bought Zimmerit tool or a homemade one would be my recommendations, Cardinal. I would never have thought to even try a power tool like a dremel and I don't know what engraving tool you tried but it's possible something like a pyrogravure would generate too much heat, although, that said, they have been used by figure modellers over the years to add texture to clothing and things like horse's manes and tails. I used Green Stuff plus a homemade tool back in the 90's on a 1/35th Tamiya Tiger I, based on Shep Paine's methods and it worked, eventually - took at least two attempts to get it anything like OK, so practice is required. I've never tried those stick on sheets but Iggie's Tiger above looks good.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think the best one for me to try and do is Ben’s recommended method, with a small screwdriver since it’s the most available option. While the other options seem nice I don’t do 1/35th scale (however I received a box full of them recently, I don’t think I’ll do much other than fix them up) and putty might make it thicker than desired. I know I’ve seen people use a dremel for zimmerit, I think it was ntrocket88. But he’s also a way more experienced modeler… So I’ll start with a simpler tool like a screwdriver either sharpened or heated. I’ll also say you guys have very nice Tigers (and Jadgpanzer IV)
Alex

B4en

Post by B4en »

Cardinal wrote: January 9th, 2024, 12:41 am Thanks for all your suggestions. I think the best one for me to try and do is Ben’s recommended method, with a small screwdriver since it’s the most available option.

… So I’ll start with a simpler tool like a screwdriver either sharpened or heated. I’ll also say you guys have very nice Tigers (and Jadgpanzer IV)
I'd advise against heating the screwdriver unless you want strings of melted plastic everywhere. Just be prepared for sore fingers! Have fun.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Allan31
Active Participant

Post by Allan31 »

I did an experiment once. I took some liquid cement and applied with brush to the surface I wanted to zimmerit. once the surface was softened, I took a small screwdriver and pushed into the softened plastic. Worked well enough that I will use it again.
Sadly, I have no pics of the results as it was done on the inside of the Airfix King Tiger and is now all sealed up.
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

Suggestion asked for. Try packaging from Lind Lindor milk chocolate bars 4 x 25g.

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”