John's Whatever Bench Returns ...

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: John's Whatever Bench Rides Again ...

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Well, I get to close out the 2022 with one completion - the Puffer for the Splash Memorial GB. Although not the plan, I think that since I only finished one, that was the best one. Alan's passing bothered me more than I thought and I just could not (re-)start anything after that which meant that all of the Matchbox things I was going to work on just sat and I failed to contribute to the CBK SMW display.

So modeling-wise, the rest of my year became one of rearranging deck chairs in the modeling room, etc - I don't move fast so it goes slow and I probably will burn up another month finishing up.

My hemoglobin issues are stable, neither here nor there, but we've learned to live with them. So 2023 will be the year we get my back/nerve issue fixed so I can be active. Our new grand-daughter is doing well and growing in her first 45 days, so we're happy - FaceTime is great. The weather events over here prevented our family from visiting, so Annette & I adapted and moved along.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Happy New Year to you John and your family from us. Hoping your health is at least more stable and let’s you focus on the things you love.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The only build I finished this year was for the Splash memorial build as well, although, alas, not within the GB timeframe. I wish you and your family all the very best for 2023 and hopefully you will see the improvement in your health that you deserve.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

A happy, and healthier New Year to you John and to your family
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
wokka

Post by wokka »

Pleased you're looking positively at the New Year despite your ongoing health issues. I hope that 2023 is better for and that you get to enjoy some real quality time with your family.
It's only pain, work through it.
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Just jumped in your pond to check out your work. Those boats are making a lot of waves, as they´re absolutely fantastic.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: John's Whatever Bench Returns ...

Watch this space, shortly. This WW, with a slight title change, and previous incarnations (see 1st post), plus stray GB's mentioned along the way, will soon be returning, but with a Great War emphasis, where it all started. As best I can, at any rate .... You haven't missed anything, really ...
iggie

Post by iggie »

Watching with eager anticipation :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Interesting, very interesting.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I will be waiting patiently too: an interesting period for model making.
KellerModeller
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by KellerModeller »

Great war subjects... 😀
I'll be watching 🤓
I like to carve old kits into something roughly aircraft/tank shaped... :grin:
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Yes. Please bring on the great war machines
B4en

Post by B4en »

Looking forward to some WW1 masterpieces John. 8-)
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The way is get started is … somewhere …

Introduction: There are four 1/35 scale kits of the Truck, 3-ton, Model 1917, aka Model B. There are also 1/72 kits but not addressed here.

Two of the kits are by ICM, of Ukraine – they are both injection plastic.

Two of the kits are by Resicast, of Belgium – they are both cast resin.

Two of the kits, one by each, represent a GS (body) supply truck and are very similar. From a US perspective, this variant is of interest because of the US Army’s Transcontinental convoy from Washington DC to San Francisco in 1919, in which three FWD’s participated, which became the basis for our Interstate Highway System 30-odd years later. See President Eisenhower’s biography by Jean Edward Smith, among others.

Two of the kits, one by each, represent an ammunition/arty-supply truck but are quite different both in parts and usage. The ICM ammunition truck has the metal body cargo compartment for ammunition and is quite well photographed. The Resicast “Artillery Supply” is more of a flat-bed body with places to stack boxes, spare gun and limber wheels, and maybe some ammunition. I find it to be the most interesting, but most mysterious, of the four.

The FWD was a US product and was operated by the US, UK, and others; artillery pulled/supplied/etc by FWDs could be US, UK, other.

The 4 kits feature a common frame, chassis, suspension (such as it was), engine, drive-train, similar cabs & things, with the bodies being wood or steel, and somewhat interchangeable leaving lots of room to mix/match, fiddle around, such as different style wheels.

One of the FWD features is the “double-ladder” frame whereby the engine & transmission are mounted in an interior frame which is itself mounted inside the main frame to which is mounted the suspension, drive-train, cab and body. Very sturdy. Another feature is the prominent lockable center differential which manages the all-wheel drive powered by the huge 4-cylinder 390 hp engine known for breaking arms if not properly hand-cranked.

The instructions are quite different, despite the close resemblance, so be very careful. Do not be “fooled” by identical-looking parts, with similar part numbers (on similar “sprues”) that follow a different sequence in the instructions. And this isn’t just between Resicast& ICM but “within” each. Having said that, each should yield a model looking very similar in the common parts, but the path may be different.

All have minimal decals/markings. The ICM ammo truck has nifty camouflage (French colors as used by the US). You are, as always, on your own with Resicast.

I do not have plans to build all four, or more. I still do not have firm plans …. but I started …somewhere … Before I get too far, I’m going to do a deep dive into references and come up with a small pile of photos that interest me … and see what available aftermarket may be helpful.

DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Odd looking thing, isn't it, John? Nice variety of options for you there!

David

Return to “Workbench Window”