Airfix 1/600 HMS Iron Duke, cont'd from Ships GB

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Airfix 1/600 HMS Iron Duke, cont'd from Ships GB

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Well, here we are, continued from my DNF in the Ships GB; that thread is here

The major thing accomplished since then was to "correct" the bridge superstructure, mast, and starfish. If you remember I mentioned that the bridge was way too high and should sit down slightly lower than the stack (also see the boxart). There are three other issues - the mast must be adjusted to keep the starfish at the "right" height, the starfish is way too clunky, and the mast is not the proper size or configuration.

Now, before I go any further -- we all know that ships went through multiple refits which could make major changes; I wasn't there and am no expert; I'm working from some comments and a few photos; etc. Anyway, I have decided the kit needed some fixes to properly represent the bridge, mast, and starfish -- but I have done it all by eyeball, there isn't a supportable measurement anywhere in the project. It's my model …. If I had to defend myself, I'd say that the Airfix mast reflects a late or post-ww1 ship, my mast is more like 'as built' to early-WW1.

Anyway, here are the relevant Airfix & WEM instructions.

To shorten the bridge, I sanded a little off the bottoms of parts 49-50, 54-55, 61, and 62 -- say 1/32" or so. That brought the bridge down close to the top of the stack, but not below -- but I didn't want to take any more off as I figured to rest of it was simply in too thick platforms.

Next was the clunky starfish -- I trimmed the tub off part 85, glued the tub onto part 84 and tossed the rest of 85. Also, I used the WEM mast plan and so tossed out 86-88. Then I fit the kit supports, part 137 and the starfish and constructed a new mast, replacing part 65, to fit between them.

I still have a few details to add, but here's what it looks like …. It may be a bit tall and I have to decide if I want try to shorten it, not as easy as it might sound.

The other thing I did was get the guns on. I wish I had spent more time on these because the barrels are not in relative scale, with the 3in & 3pdr looking the same diameter as the 13.5in and the 6in in the barbettes being almost needle thin. The 13.5 came looking like Bofors barrels with a flare at the muzzle, which I sanded down. I didn't do anything with the smaller guns, but should have. I broke almost half the 6in getting the hull and deck together and am thinking I'll snip the rest off and put on a slightly thicker barrel, maybe even pointing out to the side which would be easier.

What I have left to do:
-- all the boats and davits
-- a few other details, including the admirals walk
-- railings
-- try to make a WW1-ish antenna
-- and of course a bunch of paint touch-up
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: Airfix 1/600 HMS Iron Duke, cont'd from Ships GB

Post by Chuck E »

Hi John. My photos and drawings only show 3 yards on the formast. The photos are from 1921 and 1929 though. The amount of aerials hanging down could be time consuming to reproduce. There's loads of them. The model is coming along nicely.
So many models, so little time.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

What ever you say John is good enough for me. Great to see it progressing.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Check lead photo on Wikipedia here for a 4-spar mast and it is purportedly an earlier version. I also note the WEM drawings do not show some of the smaller guns and some other minor differences.

I have, over the course of this, found that the WEM PE set is really for the grognard with lots of own references. The ship presented by WEM is not that presented by Airfix and there are no notes on how to get from A to B, or just detail A, or what .... Since I didn't put that kind of research work into this, my Iron Duke may be difficult to find in reality, but I'm OK.

The WW1 aerials are really tough; I am thinking about faking just one using the trick of folding over PE railings.

It's OK, it's all for fun .... I added a few ladders today and started on the Admiral's cabin.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Long time since an update, but I have been puttering around with it.

The boats and davits are terrible, but the WEM PE davits are too small in comparison. I went with the kit parts. I painted all the boats sea gray, then decided they needed white tarps over them. Then I saw some old pix of the larger launches with different colors and painted up three of them accordingly. Two of the motor launches also grew stacks.

I've got some more boats to put on; I probably should have spent more time to rig all these boats stowed rather than swung out.

Regardless, my fiddling with the bridge and mast, now the boats, has really thrown this into the anachronism category.

What I have left to do:
-- finish the boats and davits
-- a few other details, including the admirals walk
-- railings
-- try to make a WW1-ish antenna
-- and of course a bunch of paint touch-up

It's a low-level project now that I'm focused on my Telford builds, which include HMS Ajax, but I'll keep plugging away.
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Any progress john? my Dad built this for me when i was about 8 and as a way of trying to restart my interest in the hobby i was thinking of asking for this for xmas! be the first ship i would of built since the age of about 13 would this be a good re-introduction into ship building?
BEEN A WHILE
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

No, it's still there, on my to be finished list -- but at least I have an up-to-date list to work from.

I wouldn't endorse the ID kit, it's quite old, and haggling with the barbettes isn't fun.

I understand that Airfix's 1/600 KGV is really 'state-of-the-art'. I have it but not built it yet; I have seen one built and the detail is quite nice.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

KGV really is nice, John. Some very nice detail. It was one of the last Airfix ships, Prinz Eugen, HMS Belfast, Repulse and KGV. They were the best in the range. It's a shame that 1/600 died out. It's double the international 1/1200 scale and easy to scale down. I can see the problem with carrying on with the range though. Looks as though Airfix are sticking with 1/350 now, apart from the Titanic, which may be someone else's tooling.

Nice work on the Iron Duke though. I always reckoned it was a good kit if simple. Plenty of stuff in the box and plenty of scope to add more detail.
So many models, so little time.
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Thanks guy's have asked for KGV and Repulse hope they get me building again. :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
harrier400
starter kit

Post by harrier400 »

Really nice model-much better than i could do i have to say
Alex
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"
Sir Winston Churchill
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The Iron Duke arises from the ashes of last year's Ship GB for this years SMW.

The pix above, and the original thread reflect progress. I managed to find most everything except the unused portions of the WEM photo-etch -- searched high & low, neighboring projects, everywhere .... don't understand what happened as I still have the annotated instructions. Oh, well, WEM still had some in stock and it quickly arrived on my doorstep, so I can restart this ....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

No real progress, except I went down to put a coat of paint on the photo-etch so I could start to use it and instead found the missing frets :roll: Well at least I have more for spares now ....
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Looking sharp.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”