Sign-up and Chat

Welcome to UAMF's first ever Paper Model GB - Origami are us.
Runs November 12th to December 24th. Your GBL is SJPONeill.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Sign-up and Chat

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This is an unusual GB in that the modeling media, paper, is the subject. I believe the only other GB like it was the Resin Models GB of 2008. Thus about anything goes as far as subject, scale, etc, etc. The purpose is to introduce, and possibly interest, members to paper modeling.

This GB started from threads here and then here.

The GB is extended to run from November 12th (plenty of opportunity to load up on paper kits and supplies at SMW) to December 24th. Your GBL is our resident paper cheerleader, SJPONeill, who will fill in any other info.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Well count me in. I will be taking the SciFi rout and try building the Battlestar Berzerk from the re-imagined TV series Battlestar Galactica. I'll have more pictures and information in my build thread.

.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

Welcome, one and all (really hoping for more towards the all than the one end of the pool) to our first paper model GB. I am the GBL and may be assisted at times by my two assistants, chaos and anarchy...

The GB is open for any model in paper or card. It may be a preprinted model, or one that you have downloaded and printed yourself. Please note that there are a large range of pirated (commercial models being distributed for free) paper models available online (and it is often difficult to determine whether the download site is legit or not).

Any range of topics is welcome...and if you would like to use a small amount of other media in your build e.g. detail parts, vac form canopies etc, this is cool too.

The two threads that John has linked above include a range of links to online sources for paper models and there are a number of European and US online shops that sell preprinted paper models - as a general rule these can all deliver within their respective continents in less than a week...When you make a selection for a preprinted kit, I would recommend selecting something released in the last decade or so as earlier models may have great cover art but be somewhat disappointing between the covers...

Paper modelling does need some different skills than plastic models and is amenable to concealing whoopsies under a glob of filler and some paint. Bending and shaping paper parts generally needs the fold to be scored; a rolled part should be shaped over dowel/rod that slowly reduces in size.

In my ever so humble opinion, the best glue to use for paper modelling is woodworking PVA which tends to distort the paper a lot less than normal PV.

Sharp knives are essential, very sharp knives...but there is no prize for the first contender to reach for the Bandaid box...

Many parts will present a white edge after you cut them out...to can address this by using water colour pencils or appropriately tinted modelling paint to blend this edge into the colour of the rest of the part...

There is a good possibility that your first attempt at a paper model may not turn out the way you want as you learn new skills...the beauty of this modelling medium is that you can just print out another and start again. If this is your first paper model I would recommend aiming low til you get a feel for it...

Above all, have fun and don't take anything too seriously...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I will be in with the Fiddler's Green Colditz glider.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The only paper kit I started and finished was the Wilhelshaven DKM Bismarck, a beautiful kit - but that was in the early 70's.

I have a stash of downloaded and purchased kits of varying sizes, but I think I should restrain myself and my goals. The 2500 piece Flower corvette is probably not doable right now :)

Right now my short list of choices is:
Fiddler's Green Lanchester Armoured Car
Fiddler's Green Sopwith Tabloid
Currell's SS OLympic (Splash built the Titanic version recently).

I selected these to fit with WW1 focus, but that could change. For that reason I don't have a Sci-Fi candidate, or anything exotic, like wildlife or figures so I may still look around. I could use some larger scale, but smaller ships, from WW1-era, but maybe I'm just too late to go looking.

Looking forward to it ! After I go find my pack of heavy printer paper :frown:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

jssel wrote:I will be in with the Fiddler's Green Colditz glider.
Interesting choice, very interesting ;-)
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

jRatz wrote:The only paper kit I started and finished was the Wilhelshaven DKM Bismarck, a beautiful kit - but that was in the early 70's.

I have a stash of downloaded and purchased kits of varying sizes, but I think I should restrain myself and my goals. The 2500 piece Flower corvette is probably not doable right now :)

Right now my short list of choices is:
Fiddler's Green Lanchester Armoured Car
Fiddler's Green Sopwith Tabloid
Currell's SS OLympic (Splash built the Titanic version recently).

I selected these to fit with WW1 focus, but that could change. For that reason I don't have a Sci-Fi candidate, or anything exotic, like wildlife or figures so I may still look around. I could use some larger scale, but smaller ships, from WW1-era, but maybe I'm just too late to go looking.

Looking forward to it ! After I go find my pack of heavy printer paper :frown:
C-mon Jon I was hoping you'd pull out the Roger Young from Starship Troopers. :ha: ;-)
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

jRatz wrote: I could use some larger scale, but smaller ships, from WW1-era, but maybe I'm just too late to go looking.
Something like this..?
Available from the publisher (http://www.sklep.wak.pl/hms-m15-p-177.html) or most European online paper model retailers...shipping to the US would probably be 7-10 days max - that's normally how long it takes for an order to arrive down under...

A quick zip through the copier at 139% would give you a nice collection-consistent 1/72...
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic.....

is it the 12th yet????
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

As time is something that I seem to have lost, I'll be doing some simple builds from my digital stash. First up will be Huey, Duey and Luie :grin:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Dirkpitt289 wrote:C-mon Jon I was hoping you'd pull out the Roger Young from Starship Troopers. :ha: ;-)
I have Rodger Young but it appears huge and time-consuming. I also think the instructions will take more brain-power to understand than I seem to have these days.
SJPONeill wrote: Something like this..?
Yes, but I saw an M15 Monitor somewhere else recently that might be a download. Found it, papershipwright, not a freebie.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

My fingers are way too big for the Paper Shipwright version, John, although it looks like an excellent design...

I'll be in with this, one of the free downloads at ecardmodels.com...
The build looks pretty simple just two pages of parts and if that goes smoothly, I am going to take a punt at UHU02's SHADO interceptor which is 'only' three pages of parts but 40-50 of pictorial instructions...
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

jRatz wrote: I could use some larger scale, but smaller ships, from WW1-era, but maybe I'm just too late to go looking
Did you spot on the Paper Shipwrights website the HMVS Cerberus is a free download?

You have to select "Add to cart" and you will find a free download option.

http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/hmvs-cerberus/

This looks like an interesting ship that ended its life as part of a break water and is still visible today

http://www.cerberus.com.au
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Paper Models GB”