Splash's Queen of the Isles

Welcome to UAMF's first ever Paper Model GB - Origami are us.
Runs November 12th to December 24th. Your GBL is SJPONeill.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Splash's Queen of the Isles

Post by SJPONeill »

Looking smooth enough, Splash...I say 'smooth enough' because many of these vessels that I have seen have had quite a life and no longer have mirror-smooth and straight hull panels...and so she is looking good...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Tex Roberts
starter kit

Post by Tex Roberts »

Very nice work on an odd vessel out. I looked at the site for the ship. An impressive career she had. One of my favorite things about modeling is the research that I do before the design work begins. It makes the work more personal and rewarding.

Cheers, c.b.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Tex Roberts wrote:Very nice work on an odd vessel out. I looked at the site for the ship. An impressive career she had. One of my favorite things about modeling is the research that I do before the design work begins. It makes the work more personal and rewarding.

Cheers, c.b.
Cliff I fully agree. I'm the type of guy who buys a kit then does the research after he has started (I know, totally the wrong way to go about things, it's just me) so I was pleasantly surprised when I came across the www.queenoftheisles.com website and learnt the full history of the ship. As you say it becomes more personal and rewarding.

Progress Update
Not a lot as it's sharing work tray space with the 1/48 scale Helicopter and a 1/72 scale WW1 Tank card models. :shock:

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I'm at the stage now, were all the progress will be in the small detail. Tonight I assembeld one of the seats on the rear deck and added the rubbing strake's down the sides and some of the other minor bits.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The lifeboats are made from just two parts.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

They give you a choice on how to build the railings on this ship, either simple card railings that would look a bit clunky or a template to string thread, the idea is you coat the thread in PVA glue to stiffen and stick the uprights, I'm not sure if it's going to work but I'm always ready to try new techniques.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A bit more progress with one of the lifeboats attached.

chrism

Post by chrism »

Have you got one of the airfix shiprigging loom things - as with that you could get some railings from thread and hold them taught on the contraption while glue dries. Failing that some pins and piece of polystyrene to create the up and down lines and allow you to glue it and get to set
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

chrism wrote:Have you got one of the airfix shiprigging loom things - as with that you could get some railings from thread and hold them taught on the contraption while glue dries. Failing that some pins and piece of polystyrene to create the up and down lines and allow you to glue it and get to set
This works on a similar principle except the rigging on the Airfix ships does not have to be stiff as it held taught from both ends.

Once the thread has received a couple more coats of PVA I will try adding the uprights, I might use thin wire to give it stiffness.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

You're becoming quite skilled at card models Splash. Most impressive
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:You're becoming quite skilled at card models Splash. Most impressive
Cheers Dirk.

I think my new learnt skills will help me when it comes to scratch building, for years I have wanted to make a Fairmile class A or B Minelayer as commanded by my late Father but never thought I had the skills to scratch build one out of plastic, but now I have dabbled in card, I can see this might now be an option.

Regards Splash
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

splash wrote:
chrism wrote:Have you got one of the airfix shiprigging loom things - as with that you could get some railings from thread and hold them taught on the contraption while glue dries. Failing that some pins and piece of polystyrene to create the up and down lines and allow you to glue it and get to set
This works on a similar principle except the rigging on the Airfix ships does not have to be stiff as it held taught from both ends.

Once the thread has received a couple more coats of PVA I will try adding the uprights, I might use thin wire to give it stiffness.
Would stretched sprue be an alternative to use?
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I'm not a lover of stretched sprue, I don't have the skill to get it consistently thin and find it breaks to easily.

I'm thinking thin wire might work.

Regards Splash
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Fine wire would work well so long as you could keep it kink-free; you could also use it for the vertical posts, joining the horizontal and vertical components with CA...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

SJPONeill wrote:Fine wire would work well so long as you could keep it kink-free; you could also use it for the vertical posts, joining the horizontal and vertical components with CA...
That's what I was thinking.

Return to “Paper Models GB”