Beany's Metcalfe OO/HO Engine Shed

Welcome to UAMF's first ever Paper Model GB - Origami are us.
Runs November 12th to December 24th. Your GBL is SJPONeill.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Beany's Metcalfe OO/HO Engine Shed

Post by beany »

Having been a rail enthusiast probably longer than an aviation one, I couldn't let this GB go by without contributing a pre-printed laser die-cut kit from the magnificent Metcalfe range. The only one I could find unstarted in the (railway) stash was this one. I have made many of the kits in this range as well as those of the other main manufacturers (for the UK market that is), including my second favourites after Metcalfe - Superquick, who have been around since the 70's I believe if not longer (and their basic card kits haven't changed much in all that time!).

http://www.metcalfemodels.com/;

http://www.superquick.co.uk/;

There are also some very good sites for downloading and printing your own railway buildings (for a one off buy it, print it as many times as you want cost of typically £3 or £4.00), including:

http://www.scalescenes.com/;

At £14.00 (for this Metcalfe kit) they aren't being given away, but I believe tyhey are good value for money as they usually take several hours to construct, are very sturdy, can be customised (with a little imagination) and are much cheaper than the plastic, or heaven forbid, prohibitively expensive resin ranges of building and accessories that are also available.

Here are a few pictures at the outset of my build.

Now, where's my PVA got to...

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Beany's Metcalfe OO/HO Engine Shed

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Hmmm, I have a signal station or trackside building of some sort that came with an issue of Railway Modeller ... and of course I have all the Peco interiors for the Kitmaster coaches, but I figured they didn't count in this GB.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

jRatz wrote: ... and of course I have all the Peco interiors for the Kitmaster coaches, but I figured they didn't count in this GB.
I'm easily led...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
beany

Post by beany »

jRatz wrote:Hmmm, I have a signal station or trackside building of some sort that came with an issue of Railway Modeller ... and of course I have all the Peco interiors for the Kitmaster coaches, but I figured they didn't count in this GB.
Why did you figure that John? I'd especially like to see those Peco coach interiors.

The GB is open for any model in paper or card. It may be a preprinted model, or one that you have downloaded and printed yourself. Please note that there are a large range of pirated (commercial models being distributed for free) paper models available online (and it is often difficult to determine whether the download site is legit or not).

Any range of topics is welcome...and if you would like to use a small amount of other media in your build e.g. detail parts, vac form canopies etc, this is cool too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I didn't think a "small amount of other media" included an entire coach kit :)

I am unsure if I have time (to fix a botched paint job, my first/last use of Humbrol Rail acrylics, on the coach first) - maybe ...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

John, I think we could accommodate the interior alone as a demonstration of the art and not require the completion of the entire carriage as part of the GB (however should you feel thus motivated, this GBL isn't going to be upset)...the aim of the GB was more to showcase paper modelling and I think that building this detail set only furthers that aim

Simon
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

BTW, my apologies, Al, and welcome aboard the GB...another interesting subject for us...I only built a few of these in my first modelling phase - my first paper models when I think about it now - and I always liked how I could get a realistic finish and appearance without subjecting said model to my rough and ready brush 'technique'...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

SJPONeill wrote:John, I think we could accommodate the interior alone as a demonstration of the art and not require the completion of the entire carriage as part of the GB (however should you feel thus motivated, this GBL isn't going to be upset)...the aim of the GB was more to showcase paper modelling and I think that building this detail set only furthers that aim

Simon
Hmmm, I wonder if I could construct the interior outside the car body and insert it, or build around it, later. I'll have to look at that; maybe some appropriately taped corners & such ....
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

I always considered adopting some of these for my plastic model diorama's so it will be interesting to see how well they go together.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
beany

Post by beany »

Molly-new wrote:I always considered adopting some of these for my plastic model diorama's so it will be interesting to see how well they go together.
I've made many of the buildings in this range and I can say they go together extremely well, and there are often leftovers, so customising them would be a doddle. For the real enthusiast you can buy the brick papers and roofing and even paving sheets separately. I may get in touch with the main man at Metcalfe in the new year and see what the chances are of getting some aircraft type buildings done - similar to the Airfix Control Tower or a more modern Hanger arrangement. Let me know if there is anything you can think of as well that I can suggest to him.

Cheers
Al.
beany

Post by beany »

OK, the weekend is here so lets get building.
Ends of the shed first - 4 layers thick - outer wall print, inner wall print (both supplied already mounted on card), then two plain card formers with acetate glazing glued in between.

I'm using both Pritt PVA and Rocket card glue, the latter is especially good - it like the quick drying Superglue of the paper/card world. Clamps are needed so I use a mixture of bulldog clips and then these clamps that come from butchering some of those clothes hangers for trouser, you know, the ones you get when you buy trousers!

Facias are added to the end walls, vent fitted in the recess, and then the end wall flaps are then wrapped around the four layers of card and glued in place.

The side walls then get a similar treatment of facia, outer wall print, card former, glazing, card former and inner wall printed sheet.

It's refreshing being able to progress a build quite quickly without have to stop and paint something first!
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

beany wrote:It's refreshing being able to progress a build quite quickly without have to stop and paint something first!
I have to admit that the lack of or at least reduced need for painting is one of the main attractions for me at the moment of paper modelling, especially now that I have a decent printer again...

This looks like a clever but very practical design, Al, and I'm sure that this build will have a few of us scouting around for this line of models...
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Brilliant progress and it looks so realistic, that brick effect would take hours to make using paint.

This is one of the things I like about this forum, you get a chance to see all types of build a/c, AFV, cars/bikes, SIFI & railways.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
beany

Post by beany »

SJPONeill wrote:This looks like a clever but very practical design, Al, and I'm sure that this build will have a few of us scouting around for this line of models...
Yes mate, they really are a lazy mans kit, almost everything is done for you - hence the perfect choice for me.

The window inserts pop right out very easily which is one of the joys of these kits, they are so well cut through or scored where necessary, leaving a minimum of bending or cutting to do yourself.
Spot the obvious mistake - the first window on the left is glued in back to front - the writing should be reversed when attached. Having said that it makes very little difference. The instructions suggest having the matt surface facing outwards - I twiddled the acetates round and round under my lamp and could tell the difference from the matt face to the gloss one!

The waste card be usefully employed - as a glue spreader in this case.

Once the glazing is in place the Inner Wall can be attached to finish the 4 layer wall sandwich.

Once dry, the end walls can be attached. They are a bit bowed inwards, but will straighten out once the roof beams are put in place (I hope).

At this stage all 13 stages of construction depicted on sheet one (of two) of the instructions are now done.
beany

Post by beany »

splash wrote:Brilliant progress and it looks so realistic, that brick effect would take hours to make using paint.
Thanks Splash.
I do have a pack or two of the brick papers and some leftover glazing from spares or scrapped kits - like I said before, I've been making these for years but unfortunately they don't always survive house moves or changes to my model railway layout etc. - so I feel honour bound at some stage in the future to do a complete scratch build of something or other - maybe a WWII Control Tower or Dispatch Hut with pilots running for their Spits or Hurricanes. I'd better dig out my Battle Of Britian DVD and get some inspiration!

Cheers
Al.

Return to “Paper Models GB”