2015 Display General Chat Thread

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

2015 Display General Chat Thread

Post by splash »

How about a length of HO/OO track and a display of all the Airfix Trains and buildings, it would only be a part display but could run along the front, back or sides of the table.

Most of the engines, rolling stock and buildings are still available from DAPOL.

I'm not a Train modeller but I do have two engines and several of the smaller rolling stock kits in my stash.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Idea for a part display

Post by TomW »

If we wanted it to move then I have a suitable Hornby power supply and control unit plus track to go with. Can we get an electricity supply at SMW? Model Railways were always too expensive for me as a young lad so it could work with my suggestion too.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

This idea has been discussed on the ATF before now and power is usually the stumbling block, I see to think a figure or £110.00 was mention be can't remember if it is per day or for the whole weekend. I think it may influence which table positions you get. Having said that, I remember as a kid there was a power unit that fixed straight to the top of one of those large, square 6V batteries, so I'm sure we could Jerry rig a device of some sort - or two, we'd have to have double track running wouldn't we. this would certainly give us one of the most dynamic displays at Telford, and I could try out the controllers at home to "prove the technology" before going to Telford so we are not let down on the day. I know Colin had an idea for an Airfix village, but I don't think it will get off the ground with all due respect to the ATF as I think the group is too big and there are too many other influences do devote themselves to this theme. That is just my personal opinion, and I'm sure if we go for this Colin and some of the other AMSIG guys will contriobute towards it - maybe even have a joint display with the ATF/AMSIG. I still like the Village idea, but of course CBK wouldn't be limited to just Airfix bits and bobs.

The scale would predominantly be 1/72, 1/76 OO Gauge, but not exclusively if one employs scale perspective as some of us have used in some of the box art dioramas

We could have:
Engines & Rolling Stock - both dynamic and static
Figures
Vehicles - Civvies and AFV
Buildings
Infrastucture - Roads and Bridges etc
Aircraft in adjacent airfields or flying overhead!
Ships at sea - may have to rely on scale perspective for this one.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I seem to remember from an old Airfix mag or annual a tabletop wargaming piece that incorporated a sea area, land area with buildings and railway, including the girder bridge. So, a balanced display can be done within the space constraints. Ships could include the Airfix MTB and RAF Rescue Launch in a small harbor. What scale was the Frog lifeboat?

This is certainly an original idea and very workable. What's more, I could contribute!! ;-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
TomW

Post by TomW »

I have a recollection of something similar Paul, I may even have the magazine at home somewhere.

A table sized diorama like that is possible but we'd need to plan it out first and then give each interested victimsorry participent a section to do so that we could slot it all together on the day.

It would be a fantastic sight and a real coup if we could pull it off.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have most of the Airfix/Kitmaster engines, cars, etc. And the Peco interiors for the coaches. There are a huge number of RR articles/conversions in the old Airfix magazines.

IMO, a static display is best. Let's avoid the complexity and cost; the problem of interfacing varied builds (mine are static and make no effort for on-track use), and the problem of constantly keeping the thing running during the show, spending more time on that than engaging the public.

OTOH, I think rail could be just a component of our display (any year), not the whole thing or even a major piece.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

jRatz wrote: I think rail could be just a component of our display (any year), not the whole thing or even a major piece.
That's what I was thinking to be part of the display, to even out the bias on a/c.

Paul,
I think the Frog Lifeboat was 1/32 scale but you could add sea planes to the water area and the Airfix LCM as that's a good old CBK.

Regards Splash
chrism

Post by chrism »

If you are "thinking" along lines of making it power up via car batteries ... you might do well to investigate it a bit before going too far into this one, as I recall there were "issues" with another club near me, who have lighting and guard rails for their tables and some reason as to why they couldn't have the car batteries at Telford to supply power for their strip lighting. I will make some enquiries further on why/what behind their not being able to have it a SMW and see what I can glean and report back
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
beany

Post by beany »

No, not car batteries Chris, but these:

with one of these on top (they are designed to clip on top of the battery):

battery £3 to £4 each, controller £1.99 Buy It Now on eBay, so say £6 all up, or £12 for two (double track running).

Static display, schmatic display... :ha:

Cheers
Al.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks for the enlightenment on that Al. Learn something new somedays.

Oh ... oooo ... that puts things in a much different light. Likey muchly...

I've got a couple of Dapol engines and what I think amounts to 4-5 goods wagons - esso tanker, coal trucks, meat wagon etc built that are in the sidings on a layout at present. They could certainly be lifted off and "borrowed" for a weekend and put onto short pieces of other track for a display if required.
TomW

Post by TomW »

I got to say I really like the idea of running some track round or through the rest of our display this year. It'll definitely get the public to stop and look (plus we all get to play all weekend too).

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have checked my stash and have the following Airfix kits
Battle of Britain Class 4/6/2 loco
BR Mogul 2/6/0 Loco
Cattle wagon
Brake Van
Turntable
Dock side crane
beany

Post by beany »

TomW wrote: It'll definitely get the public to stop and look (plus we all get to play all weekend too).
One of the things I had in mind was that one of the controllers could be placed at the front of the table, and we invite some of the younger visitors to have a go and "drive a train" for themselves.

I suspect some of the drivers may not turn out to be so young, but what the heck, if they enjoy themselves and remember our SIG because of it then so much the better!

I know this is just a proposed theme, but we seem to be getting excited already, so on the basic that we will get 12" by 4" table space again this year, I will lay out an oval of track on the loft floor at the weekend and make sure it will fit and is a viable proposition, allowing for as many other types of CBKs to be displayed as well.

I made a sketch at work today which had the double oval of track for the running trains, with Airfix station, footbridge, signal box, level crossing and so on.
Then we can have points leading to the "dead" track for the static display of sidings with the wagons that are being offers, and the Airfix engine shed and the display of static engine types, which will of course need the turntable Splash has offered.

Also, in addition to these things, there are two other manufacturers of CBK's that we tend to overlook because of their railway only output - Wills and Ratio (both now owner by Peco - also British and based in Devon). They do many nice kits that are genuine CBKs, are readily available on line, and are not stupidly expensive. There is also the Merit range of accessories, and ex-Airfix re-bagged as Dapol of course.

Then more track running to a dock, with the torpedo boat as previously mentioned - and maybe the Flower class?!!! - with two or three of the Airfix/Dapol dockside cranes and ventilated wagon and banana and meat wagons that you'd expect to see on the dockside, along with the 0-4-0 Pug shunting loco - designed as a dockside loco, and the Drewry 0-6-0 diesel - several of these to I think - docks need too look busy! Oh, and Splash's Scammell Scarab will feature of course.

Then there is the airfield, with planes lined up and some flying overhead - suspended on poles. And the military base with parading soldiers and tanks and AFVs etc.

As you can tell, I could go on and on. I'm like that kid in the movie, but instead of dead people, I see model railway scenarios (they just don't know they're model railway scenarios). Got to go now, wife says it's medication time...
chrism

Post by chrism »

This is already sounding really interesting and different. So well done so far Al. You're putting a lot effort in already.

Having also thought about this over the day, if it is a go-er, I would if you wanted it, infact be able to offer far more than I realised:
(of the Airfix/Dapol static items): a mineral wagon, cattle truck, esso tanker, brake van (we might have 2 of them); a black Mogul engine and another small Pug (in a box somewhere ... I am sure it can be found in next 9 months)

We've also got unbuilt (I could make up if required...) the BR Railbus.

I've also got in my loft, the church with a wedding scene outside it; platform accessories, railway workmen figures, and station accessories and Airfix civilians, plus the JCB, with workmen repairing some train track), scammell scarab in brewery livery.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I'm beginning to warm to this idea.....

The airfield wouldn't have to be military, of course - Airfix had plenty of civvie kits in the past, as did Matchbox.

One thing that concerns me is portability - would you be making the whole track layout, Al? I'd hate to coordinate multiple parts for something like that....

As for the airfield, a suitably-trimmed sheet of flock could serve as the landing ground, surrounded by lichen 'bushes' and the odd tree, a detached house could be the clubhouse and the Airfix control tower kit used as the control tower...
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”