Splash's large Wyvern

The one you have all been waiting for - Vac(u)-formed kits. Any subject, any kit, so long as the basis of the kit is vac-form (no, you can't enter an injection airplane with a vac-canopy). Started kits are eligible, within reason - this is a learning GB to introduce members the variety of kits, what can be accomplished with them, and to overcome any reluctance to add them to your modeling repertoire.
This is an extended GB, running 4 April to 31 May, and your hosts are Lancfan, SJPONeill, and Splash.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Splash's large Wyvern

Post by Stuart »

That's some really nice detailing in that cockpit that should paint up nicley - I've not used white metal parts before but they look great.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

This is an impressive looking kit Splash, especiallty the white metal bits, they're very clean & sharp.
Re the Wyvern at Yeovilton, it might be a petrol engine but I wouldn't call a 46 litre Flat H sleeve valve engine putting out 3500 hp conventional exactly. ;-)
I'll be looking forward to seeing how you go with this kit. The Wyvern is a long time favourite.
Steve.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Stevehnz wrote:This is an impressive looking kit Splash, especiallty the white metal bits, they're very clean & sharp.
Re the Wyvern at Yeovilton, it might be a petrol engine but I wouldn't call a 46 litre Flat H sleeve valve engine putting out 3500 hp conventional exactly. ;-)
I'll be looking forward to seeing how you go with this kit. The Wyvern is a long time favourite.
Steve.
I fully agree, I read somewhere that it was the most powerful petrol engine RR built. They think that the Prototype at Yeovilton might not have even had its engine run, imagine that restored to flight condition and flown at flying displays :shock: the sound of a 46 ltr flat H engine would have sounded like a two Subaru Impreza's on speed :-D

Looking at my photos of the Yeovilton Wyvern I see quite a lot of differences from the production version, apart from the engines its little differences like no under wing radiators.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

CMR do a petrol engined Wyvern in 1/72. Looking at the profiles, the fuselage is much shallower than the Python powered version, maybe that way to improve the pilots view but also I'd think to provide space for the engine exhaust trunking. I'd rather fancy doing an early one if they weren't so darned spendy. :frown:
Steve.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Stevehnz wrote:CMR do a petrol engined Wyvern in 1/72. Looking at the profiles, the fuselage is much shallower than the Python powered version, maybe that way to improve the pilots view but also I'd think to provide space for the engine exhaust trunking. I'd rather fancy doing an early one if they weren't so darned spendy. :frown:
Steve.
Steve I'm not convinced there was a difference the petrol version has a longer nose this might give it the effect of being thinner.

I have just won a magazine on eBay that has an artical and drawings so I might be able to answer the question when it arrives in the post.

I have cut out the two body halves and was surprised when both halves fitted together without any need for tabs, the thickness of the plastic and accuracy of the kits design ment both sides just but joined together and stuck with no issues.

As you can see from the test fit the wings look like the should fit with the minimum of fuss, but before that stage I need to build the cockpit and tail wheel well.

DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

Sounds like it's living up to Dynavector's reputation for great vacforms. I know it's 1/48 but it looks really big in your hand.

David
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

dwomby wrote:Sounds like it's living up to Dynavector's reputation for great vacforms. I know it's 1/48 but it looks really big in your hand.

David
It is big, this in fact is a bonus, as it makes sanding down the edges easy as you have lots to hold onto. I have reverted to using a scrapper to remove most of the spare plastic and my sanding blocks to remove the final bits. The plastic is thick but reacts well to the liquid cement.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The resin nose has blended into the body quite well with very little need for filler.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Time to get back to the Wyvern.

You can see by the size of the spinner that's been rough cut off its resin blocks it quite a big a/c

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I don't think I have ever spent this amount of time just prepping the fuselarge on a kit, but I'm enjoying it and don't want to rush my first big vac form build.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The cockpit tub has been fitted and I have attached the main wings but I'm not sure if I have them on straight so they might have to come off again :shock:
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Oh. That's a pity but I'm sure you'll manage it. The fuselage in the above pic looks great.

David
vacant

Post by vacant »

There's no 'might' about it. If they are not on 'straight', then they have to come off again. If you don't, you will always look at it and say 'those wings are not 'straight', no matter how good the rest of the build is. You will lie awake at night thinking about it. You will have bad dreams about wings that are not 'straight'. All you will see on the model are wings that are not 'straight'. You will always wish you had straightened them, especially with such a big and probably expensive kit. Just think yourself lucky that you spotted the problem in time and had an opportunity to fix it. There's no problem worse than one you only see when you take a photo of the finished model. Of course, I could be taking this far too seriously.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

vacant wrote:There's no 'might' about it. If they are not on 'straight', then they have to come off again. If you don't, you will always look at it and say 'those wings are not 'straight', no matter how good the rest of the build is. You will lie awake at night thinking about it. You will have bad dreams about wings that are not 'straight'. All you will see on the model are wings that are not 'straight'. You will always wish you had straightened them, especially with such a big and probably expensive kit. Just think yourself lucky that you spotted the problem in time and had an opportunity to fix it. There's no problem worse than one you only see when you take a photo of the finished model. Of course, I could be taking this far too seriously.
You are so right I could not live with it so they are off again and will take some cleaning up to remove the super glue :evil:
vacant

Post by vacant »

That's one of the joys of vacforms. You are dealing with 'raw' plastic so rubbing down or scratch building is just par for the course. I'm building another vacform at the moment where I have just noticed some wring wing angles. I have had to take my own advice.

Return to “Vac-form Kits”